Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By wlhungdude

post #1 of 22 Old 08-12-2014, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Losing a member and making new friends...

Hi fellow AVS forum members. I have just read with regret in a thread here that a fellow long standing member of this forum has passed (Steve nm) and it sort of struck home. I have been lurking on this forum for a long time and have become a member just a short time ago. I don't have alot of wisdom DIY speaker building style and have been learning lots. I have mostly questions and they have been answered quickly and with lots of info. So what brings me to write is that I really don't know anyone here and I would really like to speak to other members in my area and maybe discuss audio, video, and speaker building. It seems a shame not to know the local members and make new friends. It would be a shame to have members in the area and not know them. I belong to a local Audio Society but most of them are only into audio not A/V. Maybe someone local would like to join.

So here goes I am Bill Pauge, Melbourne, Florida wpauge@yahoo.com , if there are any members in my local area, or anywhere for that matter, that would like to chat email me at the above address.

So I am hoping to hear from local members.

Thanks Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-12-2014, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 45
browse around for any active GTG groups in your area

Denon X4000 , Emotiva UPA7, Yamaha 663 for 12.3, configurable
Klipsch F3 FL/R, G-28 CB, Icon 25 CT,RC3II: SL/R SLX: Rears ,TF & TR
2 30" BF THTLP'S and SubMaximus and Inuke6000DSP
Mitsy DLP 73837 Xbox1 PS4 Panny BD 220
post #3 of 22 Old 08-12-2014, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I am 3 hours N of you. Recently attended a wedding down there.
post #4 of 22 Old 08-12-2014, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
browse around for any active GTG groups in your area
I have no idea what GTG means.
post #5 of 22 Old 08-13-2014, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Get To-Gether. Many members are willing to let others share their home with other audio/video geeks.
post #6 of 22 Old 08-13-2014, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post
Get To-Gether. Many members are willing to let others share their home with other audio/video geeks.
I belong to a Audio club and that's what we do, go to other member's homes and listen to music and discuss audio. My reason for the post was to see if there were any other DIY speaker builders close by and chat about and compare speakers, and losing a member who just dropped out of sight prompted me to do so, because it seems that no one on the forum was close enough to know he has passed, and that's a shame. We should be close to other hobbyists in our area. Hoping others in my area will contact me.

Thanks Bill
post #7 of 22 Old 08-20-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Look here also, http://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-are...theater-meets/

I hosted a meet at my home Spring 2011, met lots of people and expanded my knowledge and network.
Since then, I've had 4-5 AVS members over 1:1 ad-hoc when they were just driving by SE Michigan area.

Heck - host a meet at your home!

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 22 Old 08-20-2014, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Look here also, http://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-are...theater-meets/

I hosted a meet at my home Spring 2011, met lots of people and expanded my knowledge and network.
Since then, I've had 4-5 AVS members over 1:1 ad-hoc when they were just driving by SE Michigan area.

Heck - host a meet at your home!
That would be a great thing to do if I had a theater setup, I am at the very beginning stage of trying to find the DIY speakers that I want to build. I had thought that there would be at least one member of the AVS forum living in my area who would like to chat about DIY building, but I guess I was wrong. The loss of a member prompted me to write. It would be nice to know any of the locals and compare notes. I belong to an Audio Club, but there is not much interest in 5.1 HT only 2 channel systems and none into DIY. Oh well I guess I was wrong.
Thanks for your response,
Bill

PS: I can't even get responses on this forum comparing some of the DIY speakers that I'm considering building ie: Fusion 8 Alchemy vs Fusion 10 Pure. Seems like bass is the most important factor here, maybe the catogory should be broken up into 2: DIY speakers and Subwoofers. Just my 2 cents/
post #9 of 22 Old 08-20-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Very few people have the fusion 10 so its tough to compare what you don't have.
You need to be patient. My first thread was a dud .
post #10 of 22 Old 08-20-2014, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
Very few people have the fusion 10 so its tough to compare what you don't have.
You need to be patient. My first thread was a dud .
Do you have any idea why it is not popular or has it not been available for long?

Thanks for your reply
Bill
post #11 of 22 Old 08-20-2014, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 140
it wasn't popular because it was a SEOS 12 over a 10" woofer. There's not much reason to buy that when the Tempest has a 12" woofer and the same width box and looks better because 12 waveguide matches the 12" woofer? Now that it's 10" seos and 10" woofer it will probably become a bit more popular for people who want to save a bit of money and want a bit narrower speaker, and as surrounds for the 1099.

post #12 of 22 Old 08-20-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 955
It wasn't available a lot and people just seemed to go for tempest. I've heard the fusion 8 and 1099 is significantly better.
post #13 of 22 Old 08-20-2014, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor1 View Post
I am 3 hours N of you. Recently attended a wedding down there.
Hi filtor1, sorry for the delay in answering your reply, was kinda bummed that there wasn't anyone in my area, but as they say "here I am". Right now I am planning to build LCR speakers from DIY Sound Group and was looking for some input from Fusion 8 Alchemy and Fusion 10 Pure owners. I wanted to know if the DNA-205 sounds diffrent in the EOS8 and the SEOS10 waveguides. I know there will be diffrent bass and mid-bass from the 2 speakers due to woofer size, but due to my mounting locations the Fusion 8s would work better. If there is a big diffrence in sound between the 2 waveguides I will figure a way to mount the bigger speakers.
Well, you say you are 3hrs north of me so the way I figure it you are in the Jacksonville area? Did you visit Axpona there last year? Pretty good show. Not too many chances to see many audio products all in one place anymore or not too many "mom and pop" shops to frequent.
What kind of equipment do you have? Crave? and do you DIY?

Hope to talk again soon.
Bill
post #14 of 22 Old 08-20-2014, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
It wasn't available a lot and people just seemed to go for tempest. I've heard the fusion 8 and 1099 is significantly better.
My problem is that I have to mount them on a 12" wide shelf that is 8' from the floor and the 1099 is just to deep to work on the shelf. I could work out a mounting position for the 10s but the 1099s and Tempests are just too wide. I will be augmenting them with a sub, so probably crossing over at approx 80hz. So you have heard the Fusion is better? Any input is very helpfull.

Thanks,
Bill
post #15 of 22 Old 08-20-2014, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
it wasn't popular because it was a SEOS 12 over a 10" woofer. There's not much reason to buy that when the Tempest has a 12" woofer and the same width box and looks better because 12 waveguide matches the 12" woofer? Now that it's 10" seos and 10" woofer it will probably become a bit more popular for people who want to save a bit of money and want a bit narrower speaker, and as surrounds for the 1099.
That brings up my question: What is the sound difrence between 10"SEOS and the 8" EOS wiveguides with the DNA-205 CD.
post #16 of 22 Old 08-20-2014, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpauge View Post
Hi filtor1, sorry for the delay in answering your reply, was kinda bummed that there wasn't anyone in my area, but as they say "here I am". Right now I am planning to build LCR speakers from DIY Sound Group and was looking for some input from Fusion 8 Alchemy and Fusion 10 Pure owners. I wanted to know if the DNA-205 sounds diffrent in the EOS8 and the SEOS10 waveguides. I know there will be diffrent bass and mid-bass from the 2 speakers due to woofer size, but due to my mounting locations the Fusion 8s would work better. If there is a big diffrence in sound between the 2 waveguides I will figure a way to mount the bigger speakers.
Well, you say you are 3hrs north of me so the way I figure it you are in the Jacksonville area? Did you visit Axpona there last year? Pretty good show. Not too many chances to see many audio products all in one place anymore or not too many "mom and pop" shops to frequent.
What kind of equipment do you have? Crave? and do you DIY?

Hope to talk again soon.
Bill
No problem Bill. We just moved to a small town outside of Gainesville. I wish I could help give some insight into the differences you are asking about. I built a trio of SEOS12 with DNA360's with AE TD 12M's. Here is the link to that: SEOS 12/AE TD12M Project I also built a couple different enclosures with JBL 8330 components: JBL 8330 project thread

As for your question, I don't think too many have experience with multiple waveguides. I have only ever heard the combination I built.

I have never been to a "real" home audio show although I have always wanted to. a 3 year old and another in the oven along with a rushed move have kept me from my hobby this year.

I was happy with my LCR's in the old house. They are yet to be hooked up in the new house. I have had 4 18"s sitting in the shipping boxes for a long time. I hope to get to build a Marty variant x4 one of these days. I am hoping to complete cutting into our wall and building an in-wall equipment rack. I have a deadline, but a lot of projects in between.

I enjoy all types of DIY. I am building a shoe rack right now for my wife.

Chris
post #17 of 22 Old 08-20-2014, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No problem Bill. We just moved to a small town outside of Gainesville. I wish I could help give some insight into the differences you are asking about. I built a trio of SEOS12 with DNA360's with AE TD 12M's. Here is the link to that: SEOS 12/AE TD12M Project I also built a couple different enclosures with JBL 8330 components: JBL 8330 project thread

As for your question, I don't think too many have experience with multiple waveguides. I have only ever heard the combination I built.

I have never been to a "real" home audio show although I have always wanted to. a 3 year old and another in the oven along with a rushed move have kept me from my hobby this year.

I was happy with my LCR's in the old house. They are yet to be hooked up in the new house. I have had 4 18"s sitting in the shipping boxes for a long time. I hope to get to build a Marty variant x4 one of these days. I am hoping to complete cutting into our wall and building an in-wall equipment rack. I have a deadline, but a lot of projects in between.

I enjoy all types of DIY. I am building a shoe rack right now for my wife.

Chris
Thanks Chris for the reply, I have family up there in Archer who we visit occasionally. Nice horse country,

I loved your LCR build and would like to do some thing that big, they look awesome, but I have limitations. The shelf that I have to mount the LCRs is only 9' wide and 12" deep so the only answer is either the Fusion8 Alchemy or the Fusion 10 Pure and I didn't know if there was a big enough difrence in sound to warrant the extra expense or the trouble to make the 10s work. Hopefully someone who has heard both will chime in.

Enjoy building that shoe rack,
Bill.
post #18 of 22 Old 08-20-2014, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpauge View Post
Thanks Chris for the reply, I have family up there in Archer who we visit occasionally. Nice horse country,

I loved your LCR build and would like to do some thing that big, they look awesome, but I have limitations. The shelf that I have to mount the LCRs is only 9' wide and 12" deep so the only answer is either the Fusion8 Alchemy or the Fusion 10 Pure and I didn't know if there was a big enough difrence in sound to warrant the extra expense or the trouble to make the 10s work. Hopefully someone who has heard both will chime in.

Enjoy building that shoe rack,
Bill.
I am 10 minutes from Archer. Can you take and post pictures of your space and the cabinets?

I am enjoying it a lot. Every time I look at it, all I see is a huge port opening to a massive horn loaded subwoofer. (Edit: I tried to attach a picture, but had no luck from my phone.)

Last edited by filtor1; 08-20-2014 at 06:59 PM.
post #19 of 22 Old 08-23-2014, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I am 10 minutes from Archer. Can you take and post pictures of your space and the cabinets?

I am enjoying it a lot. Every time I look at it, all I see is a huge port opening to a massive horn loaded subwoofer. (Edit: I tried to attach a picture, but had no luck from my phone.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5182778.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	226001  
post #20 of 22 Old 08-23-2014, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The pic is above, I couldn't post the pic and add dialog. That is basiclly what I have to work with. The shelf is 12" wide so the Fusion 8 Alchemys will work without having to make a wider mounting spot but if there is a significant diffrence between the 8s and 10s, I have a way to mount them with a little bit of woodwork.

Thanks
Bill
post #21 of 22 Old 08-23-2014, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Tip of the hat to Steve nm... gone but not forgotten... I never met him, but did read many of his posts, and benefitted from his knowledge, and willingness to share. Thanks Steve ! Enjoy that great band in the sky !! Janice on vocals... Jimi lead guitar... Jerry rythm... Bonham drums... Wright on keyboards... Morrison writing the lyrics.... I could go on... but just looking forward to enjoying the show... one day.

Until then, it's up to us to keep the music going here !! Turn it up to 11. and share it with the ones you love, today, while you can! Life's too short, my friend.

Joseph
Bombelman likes this.

What a long, strange trip its been....
post #22 of 22 Old 09-01-2014, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Bill,

I think it would be easy to add depth to that shelf. You could attach a new top to your desired depth and add some crown molding between the new top and existing shelf.

Do you have the option of moving the location of your entertainment center within the room? Can you swap locations with the recliner? You may even be able to use the unused space for a subwoofer in that corner.

Personally, I look at your setup and see a set of Clearwave 4T SE and a 4CC SE under your tv.

http://www.clearwavespeakers.com/web...5/300200/82317

I had a hard time deciding between what I built and these. The total cost was similar. There is a potential that you could get away without using a sub depending on your in room response as well.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page