1 UXL or 2 SI 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-15-2014, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
1 UXL or 2 SI 18

Hi all. What are your opinions one UXL or 2 SI 18's. I have an EP4000. Will be going in either a Stonehenge or Marty Cube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2014, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I'd go SI for room mode control.
Mfusick likes this.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked: 1163
Definitely two si.
Mfusick likes this.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

That's what I thought. Guess I'll wait for the back order
Old 08-15-2014, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Old 08-16-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
Multiples always win

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 08-16-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Old 08-16-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
two si are better if you have the room for two cabinets or a giant single unit.

one uxl is better if you have room for only one medium/smallish cabinet.
Scott Simonian likes this.

Listen. It's All Good.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

I can do 2 martycubes and use them as stands for my l/r channels
chalugadp likes this.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:25 PM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE715 View Post
I can do 2 martycubes and use them as stands for my l/r channels
I'm surprised no one has pushed the 2 UXL more. I am actually in the same boat, the UXL is way more expensive (though not that significant since I have to ship the dayton/SI options to Canada and the costs add up), but I can just buy one initially while I save for number 2. I'm thinking by the time I build the enclosures I'll be able to order the 2nd anyway. I have a smallish room so I may even do sealed, see how it works and go to martycube or full Marty if I need the output. with your Ep4k you should be able to use every Watt the amp will give you.

Also you didn't mention if dedicated HT/what your wiring is but in my case I only have a 15amp breaker where my current setup is and will trip the breaker long before I use what the UXL could give me. Is your current HT the final version? Do you see yourself eventually having a dedicated high amp line to power the subs? What kind of LF extension you looking for?
Old 08-17-2014, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

We'll we have a KEF 12 now and it struggles but the neighbors tell me they hear it so I'm a little concerned what 2 UXLs will do. Stuff in the house already rattles with my current whimpy sub
Old 08-17-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
We'll we have a KEF 12 now and it struggles but the neighbors tell me they hear it so I'm a little concerned what 2 UXLs will do. Stuff in the house already rattles with my current whimpy sub
You should also be very worried going with 2 SI18's also!
Bombelman likes this.

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
Old 08-17-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
in a 2' x 2' foot print a pair of 'mini-martys' could be mated to form a heck of a sub. neighbor approval not guaranteed. ;-)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dual front firing mini-marty.png
Views:	225
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	216713  
Bombelman likes this.

Listen. It's All Good.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girmic View Post
I'm surprised no one has pushed the 2 UXL more. I am actually in the same boat, the UXL is way more expensive (though not that significant since I have to ship the dayton/SI options to Canada and the costs add up), but I can just buy one initially while I save for number 2. I'm thinking by the time I build the enclosures I'll be able to order the 2nd anyway. I have a smallish room so I may even do sealed, see how it works and go to martycube or full Marty if I need the output. with your Ep4k you should be able to use every Watt the amp will give you.

Also you didn't mention if dedicated HT/what your wiring is but in my case I only have a 15amp breaker where my current setup is and will trip the breaker long before I use what the UXL could give me. Is your current HT the final version? Do you see yourself eventually having a dedicated high amp line to power the subs? What kind of LF extension you looking for?
For those of us in canada the Mach 5 IXL is an excellent alternative to the Dayton and SI subs, the three model almost identical and I can say first hand the ixl's sound great in my room.
chalugadp likes this.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 1195
Quote:

I run two iNuke 6000's and power four UXL-18's off of a 15amp circuit, but it is a dedicated 15amp circuit that only has the amps on it and a breaker can support 4-5x the rated current for very short bursts and I still haven't tripped my breaker.

I completely agree about the UXL-18's for anyone located in Canada. It's one of the reasons that I went with them.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
I run two iNuke 6000's and power four UXL-18's off of a 15amp circuit, but it is a dedicated 15amp circuit that only has the amps on it and a breaker can support 4-5x the rated current for very short bursts and I still haven't tripped my breaker.

I completely agree about the UXL-18's for anyone located in Canada. It's one of the reasons that I went with them.
Thats great to hear actually, I figured I could get away with short bursts but nice to have some actual testimony from someone. I have all my gear running on the same line (right now just AVR/TV/HTPC for movie watching). Hopefully should still be good with the Inuke since you're running two haha. Assuming my AVR is adjusted for reference (have a minidsp umik and rew for level matching/response etc) I listen at 10-15 below ref so I don't think I'd be pushing the Inuke very hard, making me consider the IXL since I doubt I'll end up using the extra power/xmax capability.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

The IXL-18 is a great driver and from looking at the specs it should perform every bit as good as the SI 18's.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
The IXL-18 is a great driver and from looking at the specs it should perform every bit as good as the SI 18's.
Why get an IXL for $330 vs a $179 SI? You can get two SI for almost the same price. There may be a legitimate reason, but it's a good question.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by likelinus View Post
Why get an IXL for $330 vs a $179 SI? You can get two SI for almost the same price. There may be a legitimate reason, but it's a good question.
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the SI 18 $180 plus shipping? So it get a single SI 18 shipped to Canada someone is looking at $225per driver after taxes and exchange rate plus cross border shipping on a big 40lb box. Once FedEx or UPS is done with charging their shipping rate and dinging you for brokerage fees that $180 turns into a $300 driver, if not more. And maybe you didn't read that posted where we were talking about Canadian customers. Plus no offense to anyone but being Canadian I'd rather support a Canadian company then one south of the border. Plus not to mention the nightmares one would have if for some reason they had to make a warranty claim with SI and being North of the border.

Like I said before, buying from Mark makes way more sense for guys North of the border. Oh and on top of that Marks prices include shipping.

I just looked at the cost to have a SI 18 shipped to my house via UPS and it would cost me $91.35. So that right there would put the price of a single SI 18 up right around the same price as a IXL-18.

Last edited by jbrown15; 08-17-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh and I'm not trying to discredit the SI 18, I think its a good driver that offers great value for guys in the states. I'm just saying that for guys North of the border drivers from Mark at mach5 might offer better value.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the SI 18 $180 plus shipping? So it get a single SI 18 shipped to Canada someone is looking at $225per driver after taxes and exchange rate plus cross border shipping on a big 40lb box. Once FedEx or UPS is done with charging their shipping rate and dinging you for brokerage fees that $180 turns into a $300 driver, if not more. And maybe you didn't read that posted where we were talking about Canadian customers. Plus no offense to anyone but being Canadian I'd rather support a Canadian company then one south of the border. Plus not to mention the nightmares one would have if for some reason they had to make a warranty claim with SI and being North of the border.

Like I said before, buying from Mark makes way more sense for guys North of the border. Oh and on top of that Marks prices include shipping.

I just looked at the cost to have a SI 18 shipped to my house via UPS and it would cost me $91.35. So that right there would put the price of a single SI 18 up right around the same price as a IXL-18.
No offense taken. I totally missed the point of being a Canadian order. For US orders a, it makes no sense. But if you have duties and other charges, the. It's understandable that it may be a wash. It was a legitimate question that you answered perfectly. Thanks for the enlightenment!
Old 08-17-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likelinus View Post
No offense taken. I totally missed the point of being a Canadian order. For US orders a, it makes no sense. But if you have duties and other charges, the. It's understandable that it may be a wash. It was a legitimate question that you answered perfectly. Thanks for the enlightenment!
Yeah I caused the confusion, don't think the Op is in the north but I brought it up for why I was leaning to the uxl
Old 08-18-2014, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

I agree, if in Canada the SI isn't that good of a deal. IXL or UXL. And I agree, go 2 UXL if you can haha.

Jbrown, you listen too quietly if you have 8000 watts RMS of amps on an 1800 watt circuit and haven't tripped the breaker yet!!!
Old 08-18-2014, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

I wired a dedicated 20amp when I put the projector in. I'm torn I guess I'll go with 2 SI's it's about as much as 1 UXL with shipping. I'm in San Diego so shipping is $100. It will be nice to have clean base and I have to take a mirror down It sounds horrible when it vibrates. I just hope I can keep pictures on the wall
Old 08-18-2014, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I wired a dedicated 20amp when I put the projector in. I'm torn I guess I'll go with 2 SI's it's about as much as 1 UXL with shipping. I'm in San Diego so shipping is $100. It will be nice to have clean base and I have to take a mirror down It sounds horrible when it vibrates. I just hope I can keep pictures on the wall
the goal should be to NOT be able to keep pictures on the walls

Just secure the pictures better than hanging on a single nail, and if they rattle maybe put foam tape or something behind them to secure them better. If you look online I'm sure you can find lots of good options for securely hanging pictures. And if it rattles dampen the back with some felt or foam or something.
Fatshaft likes this.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

I hear you but the wife has been such a good sport about this. She came home to find one of her windows taken out of the wall and just said "you weren't kidding, you better have that hole boarded up before dark." So I don't want to ruin any of her pictures. They are all hung on hooks so well see. I'm definitely going to test it.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have all my gear running on the same line (right now just AVR/TV/HTPC for movie watching).
That's only ~600watts probably. You should be able to get 800w RMS / 2 from the inuke before the breaker gives up the ghost. Which is actually a LOT MORE power than most people think...
Old 08-18-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
We'll we have a KEF 12 now and it struggles but the neighbors tell me they hear it so I'm a little concerned
You will wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of them hatcheting you into pieces. It's not even a question.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
Jbrown, you listen too quietly if you have 8000 watts RMS of amps on an 1800 watt circuit and haven't tripped the breaker yet!!!
He has 30 amperes, 15x2 as I understand.

I don't know about 8kW RMS, but probably 12kW burst.

When I was at his house we had half of the subs at +10db above flat which was slightly less than half output. Another words there was at least a soliid 1.5db left in them, maybe more.
We were flexing doors at 113db at 18hz so we decided to stop.

113db @18hz on this meter is a lot louder than you might think, a TermLab ain't no REW condenser mic.

But yes, he has a family and his subs are in his house, so he doesn't listen like how I listen or NotNyt/N8Dogg/MK/Pop listens...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jbrown.png
Views:	131
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	218145  

Last edited by BassThatHz; 08-18-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
That's only ~600watts probably. You should be able to get 800w RMS / 2 from the inuke before the breaker gives up the ghost. Which is actually a LOT MORE power than most people think...
Yeah I figure it will be fine for my listening levels in that room (fairly small) but someday I will finish the basement and have dedicated lines so I don't want to cheap out on smaller amps now