• 1 Post By chalugadp
  • 3 Post By chalugadp

post #1 of 11 Old 08-15-2014, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Barn find (sub equivalent)

Maybe not quite the right analogy as I knew it was in the garage, but...

I pulled this out of the garage this evening. I bought an Exodus Tempest X-2 back in December 2009.

Since then, I have changed careers, starting working six days a week, and lived in Connecticut, DC, Charlotte, and now Atlanta. Notice the two different moving company stickers in the picture below.

I'm a bit worried as the box has nearly disintegrated. The last two years were spent in a very damp basement in Charlotte (the box, not me - I was allowed in the house).

Luckily, despite the condition of the box, the driver was still wrapped in plastic and wedged between two chunks of packing foam.

It *appears* to be in ok shape. Obviously, I won't know until I spend countless hours building an enclosure.

I bought this puppy from DIY cable, which has since shut down. Maybe this thing should be displayed for posterity and coated in bronze.

I've never built a speaker. Or assembled one. I will admit that the Elusive 1099 is very intriguing - but that's another story.

Would this 15 work for a Marty mini or Marty cube tuned to <20 hz?

Chalugadp's flat packs are calling my name.
Bombelman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-15-2014, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 985
Just pm me
Bombelman likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-15-2014, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Just checked the specs and it would work well in a minimarty . Wants 9 cuft vented so not good for cube. Will take 1000 watts.
Thatsnasty, sooly1 and Bombelman like this.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-16-2014, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
You could always test it free air with a 17hz sine wave or such to make sure the coil isn't rubbing. It shouldn't take much power to get it moving.

I miss exodus audio, it was around when I was first getting into DIY.
The shivas / tempests / maelstroms were all great subs..
post #5 of 11 Old 08-16-2014, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

PM sent to Chal.

My 15'x20' (with one end open to the kitchen) family room has a single Bic F-12 in a corner.

I have this old NAD 2600A stereo amp from the late '80s. Would it have enough juice for a mini-Marty?

post #6 of 11 Old 08-17-2014, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 198
lucas,

Im liking the older gear youve got. The tempest is a nice sub. i've got a ported 12 inch shiva in my home office, and its a killer little sub. The old NAD amp is nice to. I have always thought they made nice stuff that always looked serious / with no frivolous bells and whistles.

Once you breath some life back into that tempest, please be sure to post a few pics! : )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 Old 08-18-2014, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Kevings. The NAD belonged to my dad.

According to this site, the NAD is rated for:

MONO mode, Continous average power output : 1x 500W (27dBW ; min. RMS, 8 Ohm, 20Hz...20Khz).

Does this seem ok for a mini-marty? This is probably a stupid question, and I really am not familiar with amp spec charts, but does this mean that the NAD will not output any signal below 20Hz?

Maybe if I add a second large sub, I would need to think about a more modern amp (inuke 3000/6000)?

Obviously, one disadvantage of the older amp is no integrated DSP.

I was thinking of putting a MiniDSP between my AVR (Marantz SR5008) and the NAD so I can control the signal and/or set a HPF.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-18-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

That amp can hold you over until you get something new. Will be losing about 4dbs . Its the hpf and eq that are important as well
post #9 of 11 Old 08-18-2014, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Lucas,

the minidsp is a good idea, but here's something to think about.....

instead of buying the minidsp, you could just put that money towards an inuke w/ dsp built in. Getting the inuke imo, would be the better option because it would allow you to have 2 subs down the road, be able to give more power to your tempest now - resulting in more spl, and be able to do the eq and HPF function that need.

post #10 of 11 Old 08-19-2014, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Kevings' post was within minutes of my finalizing a preorder for two 1099s, which I rationalized (in part) by saying "well, I don't need to buy an amp for the sub I'm planning to build."

Haha.

Well, if I buy the minidsp and use the NAD for a while, I could further justify a crown 4000 (or other non-DSP amp) someday if I decide to build a second sub.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-19-2014, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

They are all good choices, but i just wanted you to be aware of the options.

fwiw, in my setup i use a minidsp which then feeds signal to 2 inukes. I use the minidsp so that i can eq all my subs as 1 unit, and not have to put in the same settings multiple times into the inukes.

The inukes i use for the HPF function and also the limiter function.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page