41Likes

post #1 of 31 Old 08-18-2014, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 298
SI News

I wanted to post on two things related to Stereo Integrity.

1. Pricing on HS24 - The HS24 was "on sale" for $999 until 7/31. Well, I added it to the cart the other day and noticed it was still coming up $999. I asked Nick about it and he said he plans to keep it at that price for the DIY crowd for the foreseeable future. He has his reasons for keeping $1599 as the price shown on his website but just add the sub to the cart and it should come up as $999 with a whopping $5 in shipping.

2. Chance to win a sub - While I was talking to Nick, he mentioned a "contest" he has going for Multiple Sclerosis donations. Check out his Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stere...43175079052824) and specifically the Jul 29th post for more information on how to donate to his friend, who's doing an MS ride for donations. Nick has Multiple Sclerosis so this is definitely a cause near and dear to him. If you make a donation and let Nick know, he will enter you for a chance to win a SI BMmkIV 12" subwoofer or the big beast HS24 subwoofer. He is giving away both subwoofers so there will be two winners. As I understand it, donations aren't even close to the level of last year when Nick ran this contest so make sure to donate to a great cause and a chance to win two great subwoofers.

Just thought I'd share.

David
LTD02, N8DOGG, jbrown15 and 9 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 08-18-2014, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Thats good new for everyone! My wifes brother also has MS and in the last 10 years has gotten to the point where he can barley use his hands at all, let alone walk. It's tough to see when he has relapses.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #3 of 31 Old 08-18-2014, 10:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 1164
great data. maybe it is a deal he has with his dealers with respect to minimum advertised pricing (aka m.a.p.). in any case, many will be glad to hear who had their eye on that sub but would be priced out at 1599.

as for m.s., it is an auto-immune disease. auto-immune disease tends to be caused by pollutants entering through a weak gut into the blood stream, triggering an anti-body storm that ends up attacking the hosts healthy cells. repair the intestinal lining and flood the body with anti-oxidants. essential fatty acids, particularly dha, to nourish and rebuild the myelin sheath.

here is a short video that shows what the myelin sheath is, why it is important, and why dha is a required component of infant formula. http://www.sharecare.com/health/neur...myelin-develop

Listen. It's All Good.

Last edited by LTD02; 08-18-2014 at 10:13 PM.
post #4 of 31 Old 08-18-2014, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So many worthy causes and not enough time or money. My entire family has diabetes and they were thoughtful enough to pass it down to me, my grandmother had breast cancer, and my friend Nick has MS. Well, I've donated to diabetes and multiple sclerosis this year and had my employer match my donations. I'll need to make sure to make a nice donation to breast cancer this year too. So think about the important things in life and make sure to spread the wealth that many of us on this forum have. Little by little we'll make a difference.
post #5 of 31 Old 08-18-2014, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
great data. maybe it is a deal he has with his dealers with respect to minimum advertised pricing (aka m.a.p.). in any case, many will be glad to hear who had their eye on that sub but would be priced out at 1599.

as for m.s., it is an auto-immune disease. auto-immune disease tends to be caused by pollutants entering through a weak gut into the blood stream, triggering an anti-body storm that ends up attacking the hosts healthy cells. repair the intestinal lining and flood the body with anti-oxidants. essential fatty acids, particularly dha, to nourish and rebuild the myelin sheath.
The answer to the first is yes.

As for the second, this sort of reminds me of some of your posts where you go into a master's level thesis on acoustical properties of this or that. It fascinates me and reminds me how much more I have to learn. Thanks LTD for being a consistent source of info...apparently on many topics.
post #6 of 31 Old 08-18-2014, 10:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 1164
type 1 or 2?

Listen. It's All Good.
post #7 of 31 Old 08-18-2014, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
type 1 or 2?
I have type 2 Diabetes and take a 2mg tablet of Glimerperide every day. I might be able to control completely with diet but that would be very challenging for me so I have elected to take the tablet every day and it works well for me. I'm 6' 195 lbs and in decent shape, I just choose to have a more flexible diet, hence the daily tablet.
V.X.Donique likes this.
post #8 of 31 Old 08-18-2014, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
here is a short video that shows what the myelin sheath is, why it is important, and why dha is a required component of infant
formula. http://www.sharecare.com/health/neur...myelin-develop
OK LTD, you've piqued my interest, what do you do for a living?
post #9 of 31 Old 08-18-2014, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 1176
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
OK LTD, you've piqued my interest, what do you do for a living?
Ah one of the great mysteries of the world!....lol
post #10 of 31 Old 08-19-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
I have type 2 Diabetes and take a 2mg tablet of Glimerperide every day. I might be able to control completely with diet but that would be very challenging for me so I have elected to take the tablet every day and it works well for me. I'm 6' 195 lbs and in decent shape, I just choose to have a more flexible diet, hence the daily tablet.
My wife has type 1; she was diagnosed with diabetes at 14. She just went through pregnancy and birth of our twins! To say it was "challenging" would be an understatement. I have several family members effected by diabetes as well so we also do all the things we can to advance or support the cause.

On a positive note it looks like artificial pancreas might only be 5 years away. Too bad they would allow the cloning of a new DNA specific one for diabetes patients . The thinking there doesn't make much sense.
Upsidedown2 likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #11 of 31 Old 08-19-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Off topic, but this thread just exploded with awesomness

Going for my D.O. (Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine) over here. Excellent post John and dgage!
dgage and mtbdudex like this.

V.X.Donique
Introducing the Vier Systems Xero.1/Midbasiks Subwoofer builds....
Creator of the AVScience DIY Speakers and Subwoofers Forum
"Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory." -Bruce Lee
post #12 of 31 Old 08-19-2014, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Anyone who suffers with a long term disease has my every sympathy and massive respect - I can barely find the motivation to haul my sorry butt out of bed in the morning and I'm lucky enough to have decent health; kudos to everyone who gets up every day knowing it's going to be a challenge just to get through the day!

The pricing news on the 24 is awesome - now I'm wondering what one would be like as I could probably land one in the UK for something like $1500, and I've not even finished the last project yet... lol
Upsidedown2 likes this.
post #13 of 31 Old 08-19-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.X.Donique View Post
Off topic, but this thread just exploded with awesomness

Going for my D.O. (Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine) over here. Excellent post John and dgage!
I just donated, and agree this is a great thread!

My story (via my iPhone my notes so when I state to various doctors same story):
Jan-end -2014 1st time pain came after all day Saturday sitting mostly for robotics competition, it was nerve pain up/down leg could not walk hardly
Feb-7 -2014; went snow skiing big weekend and able to do most everything w/o issue
Feb-2014 ;Pain got worse and continuous, felt like "knife scrapping my RH bone" went to Dr Kopel, xrays revealed arthritis on RH side only, he wrote script for PT, I scheduled then cancelled PT. Used walking cane, got 3 month handicap car cling. Started really feeling pain.
Mar-2014; went to Adv Orthopodic in Brighton, xrays. Started immediately more pills/vitamins.
April-May; Adv Ortho (1) cortosine shot and (3) Supartz shots into hip
May-2014 Saw Dr Kopel again, got PT script
May/June; PT did before Japan 2 week trip, then again before 3 week vacation
PT person stated my lower L3/4/5 nerve slight pinch causing "bone" pain,
June-July vacation; self PT freed up hip flexor, yet pain still persistent in hip joint, cannot sleep face down or on RH side, sleep very broken
August-2014 MRI reveals I have hip labral tear , this Friday I see Ortho doctor and trying to schedule 2nd opinion at U of M for next week.

Pain sucks, I've had it 24/7 since Feb-2014.

Is empathy a learned emotion or ?
All I know is suddenly I see so many people who are in pain....and feel for each and every one of them.
We share stories in the hallway, on the stairs, etc.

I'm looking forward to simply playing and running with my kids, I had to quit being soccer coach due to this, I'm still cubmaster.

sorry for longpost, this thread touched me in a emotional way I did not expect.
dgage and V.X.Donique like this.
post #14 of 31 Old 08-19-2014, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

mtbdudex - Sorry to hear about the pain and long time in finding the cause. My wife went through something similar with arm and shoulder pain until they found she had a compressed disk in her neck or something like that. Had neck surgery and is much better now and rarely has pain. I hope you have similar good results with your treatment, when decided upon.
post #15 of 31 Old 08-19-2014, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And while we're sharing, and I'm glad we are, I was diagnosed with low testosterone last year. Since the majority on this forum are likely male, this post could enlighten many reading this. Before getting into the story; I'm 41 and I'd describe myself as healthy and active, with controlled Type 2 Diabetes.

Last year I turned 40 and it is amazing how certain aches just sort of pop up and then pretty quickly go away too. Like going down the stairs all of a sudden my knee would have a pain and I'd feel it for the rest of the day and then it would go away the next day. But that is an aside. The real issue I noticed last year was my memory and concentration. I'm a consultant and am often speaking in front of groups as well as one on one with higher level individuals in an organization. I started having issues trying to communicate, I'd have a word on the tip of my tongue but couldn't remember it so I'd have a long pause before using different words to communicate. It didn't matter if it was one on one or in front of a large group, my spoken word was becoming more mute...and this from a talkative person. Along with that, it was very hard to get motivated to do work and when I was working on it, I would easily get distracted...SQUIRREL!

The kicker was when I had an interview with my former boss for a new position that I likely would have been very interested in and very good at. The interview with my former boss and the Pres. of his company lasted maybe 15 minutes and it was a train wreck. One of those accidents you see happening and you can't do anything about it. I was thinking to myself while I was talking, "What the heck are you doing? Shutup already! What does that have to do with this interview?" I was saying that to myself in my mind like I was a prisoner in my own mind and not in full control. A couple weeks later I went to my doctor for my annual checkup and he let me know I had low testosterone. At the time I thought, well my energy is fine and my private life is good so I'm not sure about this diagnosis. Well, when I looked up low testosterone in conjunction with memory and concentration, it was eye opening. YEP, that was me. I'm now back to my old self...better actually as I've seen how precious life is. Within a matter of months I went down hill and in a matter of 2 weeks with the correct treatment, I was good again. I've got more energy and the drive to make sure I don't waste a day. So I'm glad I went through it but feel I should share this for others too.

David
post #16 of 31 Old 08-19-2014, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Thanks for posting this David. My good friend, Terri, participates in the MS Ride every year in Atlanta Georgia to help raise money to help fight MS.

While others are sharing in this thread I might as well do the same.

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis about eight years ago. I was at the gym one evening doing dumbbell bench press when one of the weights [and my hand] went flying by my head narrowly missing my face. To this day I don't know how that weight didn't hit my face. I stopped what I was doing and grabbed a much lighter dumbbell and did a few decline curls with only my left hand. Something felt odd about using my left hand. I could not explain what it felt like, it just felt odd. Throughout the next few days I noticed that I would drop items I was holding, occasionally run into the wall while walking down a hallway, and I was very tired and had to take naps throughout the day.

My father noticed all of this and called a doctor that my parents knew and told him what was going on with me. At first the doctor(s) thought I was having a mild stroke and they wanted me to get checked out. I went to the doctors at first and then to a neurologist. After getting an MRI performed on me the neurologist sat me down and showed me the scans and told me that I had Multiple Sclerosis. The neurologist had to have given other people similar news because after he told me he simply said he would give me a minute and quietly left the room. The avalanche of thoughts and questions that poured through my head was beyond shocking - "How could I have MS? I'm young and in great physical fitness. I eat great. I don't smoke. Doesn't this only happen to older people? Etc."

Well, I had MS. I participated in taking Betaseron, Copaxone, Rebif, etc. You name it I was on it at one point or another. All of the medications are administered yourself via a shot. Not a shot you consume while at a bar but a shot via a needle. It was/is painful and I had to do it every other night. I took the medication at night because you needed to sleep through the discomfort the shots gave you. Imagine the worst flu you've ever had - those aches and pains when you move any muscle in your body - that was I felt like after every shot.

Over the next few years I didn't have any more attacks [that I knew of] until two years ago when I had a pretty big attack (relapse) that put in a bed for two weeks. This time around it affected the right side of me. I had to wear an eye patch because my right eye was looking straight up all the time. I couldn't even crawl down the hallway to the bathroom because my balance was so bad. It was like someone spun you around in a chair for thirty seconds and let you go. The only thing I could do was lay in a bed with one eye shut. Someone had to get my food, walk behind me while I crawled down the hallway to use the bathroom (and even that was hard because after I managed to sit down I was still extremely dizzy and had to be held upright).

Thankfully a local neurologist got me back on track by administering a steroid pill for me to take every day. Gradually I got better and better and was able to finally walk, then drive, and finally be close to "normal." Every time someone with MS has an attack (relapse) they never recover 100%. There's always a little something that is never quite right after you recover from a relapse.

I am very thankful for all of the help I have received during all of this and I really appreciate Terri participating in the MS Ride every year for everyone that has MS.

Having said that, I am giving away one HS 24" or one HST 18" (yes, they are going to be a reality in a few weeks) to one lucky person that donates to Terri's MS Ride. Donations are in $10 increments and for every donation you make you will be entered to win an HS 24 or an HST 18". When you donate be SURE to put "SI HS24" or "SI HST 18" somewhere in an entry field. Indicate your preference after your name, in the second address field, just put it somewhere, and you will be entered to potentially win a free HS24 or HST 18" of your coil configuration choice between D1 Ohm or D2 Ohm.

Thanks again guys,

Nick

PS: Here is the link to Terri's MS Ride donation site. Click this text to go to her donation site!
Mfusick, LTD02, N8DOGG and 6 others like this.

Last edited by Electrodynamic; 08-20-2014 at 12:04 PM.
post #17 of 31 Old 08-20-2014, 02:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Thanks for the insight into the condition, Nick, it's not something I really know much about so it's good to find out some information! Respect to you for fighting through it, I hate being ill so have no idea how anyone copes with a long term condition!

Thanks also for the very kind giveaway, hopefully this thread will increase the donations to the cause
post #18 of 31 Old 08-20-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemX View Post
Thanks for the insight into the condition, Nick, it's not something I really know much about so it's good to find out some information! Respect to you for fighting through it, I hate being ill so have no idea how anyone copes with a long term condition!

Thanks also for the very kind giveaway, hopefully this thread will increase the donations to the cause
I forgot to mention that heat is also a big no-no for anyone with MS. I live in North Carolina so during the summer months I'm almost always indoors. The fatigue is the biggest thing. Before my first MS attack I thought I was just being a lazy bastard because I was occasionally tired. But then after being diagnosed and educating myself on the side effects everything came into focus. I wasn't just being lazy - the heat actually does make someone with MS incredibly fatigued compared to someone that does not have MS. It sucks but I take enough naps throughout the day to get through.

Like you said, hopefully this thread will increase donations to the cause.
post #19 of 31 Old 08-20-2014, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 1176
Time to move to Alaska Nick!....lol

Yeah MS really sucks, I have a buddy that was diagnosed with it at all 22 years old.

I know all about health struggles though as my mother has been paralyzed from the waste down for over 45 years now. She was in a bad car accident and broke her back, doctors told her she'd likely only live for 5-10 years! I guess she proved them room, she raised my two older sisters and managed to get pregnant and have me and my younger sister. Seven grand children and eight great grand children later she's still going strong. Any time I'm having a bad day I just give my head a shack and think to myself "hell if my mom and get through bad days what the hell am I complaining about" Always puts things into perspective for you.
NWCgrad and MDST like this.
post #20 of 31 Old 09-03-2014, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I just donated . I only put HS24 in the second address line, I hope that doesn't matter but either I'm still helping out a good cause and without having to do an ice bucket.
I have a shooting buddy with MS that lives in NY and he has a hard time getting around but he still is one hell of a machinist. He's helped me build two excellent and unique rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using TheChive - KCCO!
dgage and Electrodynamic like this.
post #21 of 31 Old 09-03-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock24 View Post
I just donated . I only put HS24 in the second address line, I hope that doesn't matter but either I'm still helping out a good cause and without having to do an ice bucket.
I have a shooting buddy with MS that lives in NY and he has a hard time getting around but he still is one hell of a machinist. He's helped me build two excellent and unique rifles.

Awesome. Thanks for donating.
post #22 of 31 Old 10-01-2014, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Any news/ result who is the lucky guy grab the HS24/ HST18?
post #23 of 31 Old 10-01-2014, 07:40 PM

Sorry for not posting in here to update this thread. Thankfully we raised almost $3,800 this year! I have been super busy building woofers and unfortunately also dealing with fatigue recently which is a common symptom of MS. I will hold the drawing for the HS 24 or an HST 18 next week. I'll take a video of the drawing and post it in this thread. Thanks again to all who donated!!
WereWolf84 and Gamecock24 like this.
post #24 of 31 Old 10-01-2014, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Are you still taking donations?
post #25 of 31 Old 10-01-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
Are you still taking donations?
AFAIK donations have closed as the MS Ride has already taken place.
post #26 of 31 Old 10-02-2014, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Nick was the video of the woofer and tickets not for the drawing of these subwoofers?
post #27 of 31 Old 10-02-2014, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Nick, first time visit SI FB site, saw your testing on the XBL^2 motor equipped HS24 woofer, the performance is better than the original motor?
post #28 of 31 Old 10-02-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
Nick was the video of the woofer and tickets not for the drawing of these subwoofers?
That video was not for the SI side of the drawing. As noted in the video that drawing was for the Sundown Audio portion of the fund raising. They ran their own portion of fund raising.
post #29 of 31 Old 10-10-2014, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Did I miss the video of the drawing?

post #30 of 31 Old 10-12-2014, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrodynamic View Post
Thanks for posting this David. My good friend, Terri, participates in the MS Ride every year in Atlanta Georgia to help raise money to help fight MS.

While others are sharing in this thread I might as well do the same.

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis about eight years ago. I was at the gym one evening doing dumbbell bench press when one of the weights [and my hand] went flying by my head narrowly missing my face. To this day I don't know how that weight didn't hit my face. I stopped what I was doing and grabbed a much lighter dumbbell and did a few decline curls with only my left hand. Something felt odd about using my left hand. I could not explain what it felt like, it just felt odd. Throughout the next few days I noticed that I would drop items I was holding, occasionally run into the wall while walking down a hallway, and I was very tired and had to take naps throughout the day.

My father noticed all of this and called a doctor that my parents knew and told him what was going on with me. At first the doctor(s) thought I was having a mild stroke and they wanted me to get checked out. I went to the doctors at first and then to a neurologist. After getting an MRI performed on me the neurologist sat me down and showed me the scans and told me that I had Multiple Sclerosis. The neurologist had to have given other people similar news because after he told me he simply said he would give me a minute and quietly left the room. The avalanche of thoughts and questions that poured through my head was beyond shocking - "How could I have MS? I'm young and in great physical fitness. I eat great. I don't smoke. Doesn't this only happen to older people? Etc."

Well, I had MS. I participated in taking Betaseron, Copaxone, Rebif, etc. You name it I was on it at one point or another. All of the medications are administered yourself via a shot. Not a shot you consume while at a bar but a shot via a needle. It was/is painful and I had to do it every other night. I took the medication at night because you needed to sleep through the discomfort the shots gave you. Imagine the worst flu you've ever had - those aches and pains when you move any muscle in your body - that was I felt like after every shot.

Over the next few years I didn't have any more attacks [that I knew of] until two years ago when I had a pretty big attack (relapse) that put in a bed for two weeks. This time around it affected the right side of me. I had to wear an eye patch because my right eye was looking straight up all the time. I couldn't even crawl down the hallway to the bathroom because my balance was so bad. It was like someone spun you around in a chair for thirty seconds and let you go. The only thing I could do was lay in a bed with one eye shut. Someone had to get my food, walk behind me while I crawled down the hallway to use the bathroom (and even that was hard because after I managed to sit down I was still extremely dizzy and had to be held upright).

Thankfully a local neurologist got me back on track by administering a steroid pill for me to take every day. Gradually I got better and better and was able to finally walk, then drive, and finally be close to "normal." Every time someone with MS has an attack (relapse) they never recover 100%. There's always a little something that is never quite right after you recover from a relapse.

I am very thankful for all of the help I have received during all of this and I really appreciate Terri participating in the MS Ride every year for everyone that has MS.

Having said that, I am giving away one HS 24" or one HST 18" (yes, they are going to be a reality in a few weeks) to one lucky person that donates to Terri's MS Ride. Donations are in $10 increments and for every donation you make you will be entered to win an HS 24 or an HST 18". When you donate be SURE to put "SI HS24" or "SI HST 18" somewhere in an entry field. Indicate your preference after your name, in the second address field, just put it somewhere, and you will be entered to potentially win a free HS24 or HST 18" of your coil configuration choice between D1 Ohm or D2 Ohm.

Thanks again guys,

Nick

PS: Here is the link to Terri's MS Ride donation site. Click this text to go to her donation site!

Thanks for promoting this Ride and awareness of MS, Nick.
I was surprised that it sounded like your relapse took a while for someone to get either a pill or IV of steroids going.
Certainly didn't prevent more spine/brain lesions...

Anyway, after also running through the same meds you listed above, I have two people dear to me that have experienced great recent (but still short-term) success with Tecfidera.
Just wanted to throw that out there in case you had not explored that avenue if viable.

Good luck with your above endeavors and stay strong.

R-
dgage likes this.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page