• 1 Post By Bassment
  • 1 Post By Bassment

post #1 of 14 Old 08-20-2014, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 16
First AIY, need help with parts list

Ok so I am considering building an AIY 18" stonehenge enclosure. I have never done this before and I am trying to get a list together for the small stuff I will need and also, help choosing the right amp.

The enclosure I think I can figure out, ive read some threads with builds of them and they look fairly straight forward. My question is, I was going to use the SI 18 D2 because the D4 is out of stock right now. I am only going to have one of these in my room and was planning on going with the NU3000DSP amp.

I have read a little bit about DSP and stuff and I am not sure if I will need anything else for the DSP, it appears that the amp has it built in so I think I should be good but I have read in a build thread about using a mic to adjust things. Sorry for sounding like a complete newbie but, I am.

So, if someone could maybe put together a short list of the small stuff like wire, connectors etc that I will need to get up and running I would be very thankful, I will be running this on my onkyo tx nr808.

From my figures I should be able to get this all purchased for under 900$, am I crazy?

Thanks everyone!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-20-2014, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

I just thought of something else also, I looked at the PDF manual for the amp and it says USA / Canada 120V~, 60Hz (25A) <---

My home only has 15A breakers....and I have my avr and television along with a ps4 and DTV receiver plugged in in the front room (same breaker). It appears I wont even be able to use this amp, does anyone else use the amp with 15A breakers?
post #3 of 14 Old 08-21-2014, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 164
inuke 3000 is fine on a 15 amp breaker, you can't even trip the circuit if you tried, as the inuke automatically limits its output. You will be able to use it with a ps4, tv, and receiver no problem.
dandiele likes this.
post #4 of 14 Old 08-21-2014, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

well, you probably could trip it running like 18 hz sine waves for 30 seconds or longer at the power level right before it limits and have everything running at once, but in normal use you can't.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-21-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 129
You could actually get away with a inuke 1000dsp bridged if your only going to have one sub but the 3000 does leave you an upgrade option. Just in case you change your mind lol
dandiele likes this.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-21-2014, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

As far as price I think you can do it for under $900.

You will need an RCA to XLR, a speakon connector to plug into the amp, a speakon/binding post for the box, wood glue, foam pad (just get the cheap 10$ bed topper) to line the internal walls, bondo/woodfiller/spackle, paint, spikes/feet, and some 12 gauge speaker wire. I think you need some screws to mount the driver, unless SI gives you them with the driver, just use # 8 or # 10 particle board screws or the ones parts-express sells.

I'd get the D4, they shouldn't be out of stock for long, as you can run it on just one channel off the inuke and then you can upgrade to two later on.

You can EQ your sub with the inuke by measuring with a $50 usb mic, that is the easiest way, but you don't have to. You could also use a SPL meter, or just not EQ at all. You just need the DSP for a high pass filter to prevent over-excursion.
dandiele likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-21-2014, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
As far as price I think you can do it for under $900.

You will need an RCA to XLR, a speakon connector to plug into the amp, a speakon/binding post for the box, wood glue, foam pad (just get the cheap 10$ bed topper) to line the internal walls, bondo/woodfiller/spackle, paint, spikes/feet, and some 12 gauge speaker wire. I think you need some screws to mount the driver, unless SI gives you them with the driver, just use # 8 or # 10 particle board screws or the ones parts-express sells.

I'd get the D4, they shouldn't be out of stock for long, as you can run it on just one channel off the inuke and then you can upgrade to two later on.

You can EQ your sub with the inuke by measuring with a $50 usb mic, that is the easiest way, but you don't have to. You could also use a SPL meter, or just not EQ at all. You just need the DSP for a high pass filter to prevent over-excursion.
Excellent information, thank you! This may be a silly question but what will I need bondo or wood filler for? I already have some natural color wood filler but I am just curious were I would use it.

I have some 16 gauge scrap of wire, sleeved. the in wall type with the white sleeve.. should be sufficient for the 12 inch run inside the box right?

I already ordered the sub today, I went with the D2. Not a huge deal because it is very unlikely that I will ever want 2. I do have a spl meter, a digital one I got from b & h photo. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...HECK_MATE.html this one specifically.

Ill probably set the HPF and the limiter to maybe 1100 watts.

last but not least, does anyone have a diagram or brief explanation of how Id wire the sub coils in series, and which prongs to wire onto on the speakon connector.

Thank you guys so much!!
post #8 of 14 Old 08-21-2014, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 49
About any wood filler is fine if you throw paint over it. Get picky if working with fine hardwoods or veneer. Bondo is probably better for corners and edges where it is more crush resistant than most wood fillers...more important for gear that moves than for stuff at home.

Why not double up the 16 gauge wire if you have it? Think weakest link...not that a couple feet of 12 gauge will break the bank if you buy it.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-21-2014, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

I can use some 12 ga just didnt wanna buy a whole roll for a few feet ya know? not a problem.

The wood filler or bondo is used for edges to strengthen them? I havent seen it used in the couple DIY build threads I read through. I plain on probably just going simple and painting it with a satin black. ill sand the edges first if I end up with any overlap though.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-22-2014, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

16 gauge is fine in the box. Use 12 gauge for the main wire run though. Bondo/wood filler is to fill all the imperfections of the box, along the seams, any nail holes, any crack. If you paint over MDF seams it just shows right through. It all depends on how nice you want to do it. I did a box with wood filler and it literally grows with humidity and shrinks in the winter and the wood filler swells up like crazy and then shrinks like crazy. Bondo doesn't do that. If you don't care about seams on your box you don't need to do it if you don't want to.

To wire in series you have positive amp wire into red terminal, wire out of black terminal into the next red terminal, and then wire out of black into negative amp wire.
dandiele likes this.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-22-2014, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

I am only going to be using one sub and need to wire the sub coils in series I believe. I think on the sub with DVC I would need to take a wire from one positive on one side to one negative on the other coil. and then use the remaining positive and negative posts on the sub to wire onto the speakon connector.

Am I close?

And then which pins would I use on the speakon connector?

Ill be using my nu3000dsp in bridged mode and I think the driver should be at 4 ohms if I wire the coils in series?
post #12 of 14 Old 08-22-2014, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

No, like I said above do this:

Speakon wired to +1/+2 from inuke 3000 in bridged mode.

Wire from:
+1 terminal on speakon to red positive VC
Black negative VC to other red positive VC
black negative VC to +2 speakon terminal

Like the diagram on the left:

dandiele likes this.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-22-2014, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Gotcha, that makes sense. Thank you!

for using the amp bridged mode I dont need a splitter or anything right, bridged mode is done interal in the amp?
post #14 of 14 Old 08-22-2014, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page