Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-21-2014, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 39
New IB Sub

I'm currently framing my smallish theater room. It's 12 x 16.5 x 9, but because it's a basement, has some obstacles that will result in a stepped coffered ceiling from 9 foot down to 8 foot. I'm doing 4 Atmos speakers in the ceiling in addition to the 7.1 bed.

Now, for the sub, I'd like to do an IB to the utility room next door. As I've only got about 1700 cubic feet, I'm thinking I can get away with a pair of 15 inch IB drivers from PE.

So, what I'm thinking is doing a line array, but having it as a separate structure instead of tying it to the wall, then using a foam or rubber gasket between the baffle and the wall to maintain separation between the two spaces.

In other words, it'll be secured to the concrete floor, and not the wood-framed wall. This way, I won't have to worry about flexing of the wall, or the structure of the house.

I'm going to post this over at The Cult as well to see if anyone over there had any thoughts about this, but thought I'd try here first as there's more traffic here.

Last edited by GreySkies; 08-21-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-22-2014, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Physically isolating the baffle from the wall so that reaction forces go into the foundation should relieve the wall reinforcement requirements as you're hoping. And as long as you create a seal between the baffle and the wall, it should work just fine sonically. Keep that seal area as small as you can.

But I have to ask why you want to use a line array in the first place. An opposed manifold would completely eliminate the reaction forces concerns. The way you propose will keep reaction vibrations out of the wall, but you'll still be transferring some significant mechanical energy into your concrete slab. Concrete carries vibrations fairly well. If your goal was sound isolation from the rest of the house, I think you'd be better off with a manifold.

OT: I too am formerly from Chicagoland. Is the "grey skies" name a reference to the typical weather there?
post #3 of 3 Old 08-22-2014, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Thanks for the info. I've been waffling between a manifold and a line array. The water heater is pretty close to where the sub needs to go, making a line array easier, but I can put a manifold higher up on the wall which'd maintain good clearance for everything. I'm starting to think that a line array just isn't going to work for me.

OT: Partially, on the name. When my grandfather came over from Poland after WWI, his last name got changed to Grey at Ellis Island. He finally changed it back after about 20 years in the US. And it seemed to fit Chicago as well.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page