Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1 of 38 Old 08-26-2014, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
L/R speakers for music ~$800

I was originally settled on buying the soon to be rereleased Chane A5's along with doing a DIY MartySub, but after pouring through threads I'm going all in.

So now I'm looking to start with a set of DIY L/R speakers for mostly 2.2 music listening in a space that's about 4000 cubic feet. I don't need ear shattering loudness, but I'm looking for clean, rich sound in a wide range of music from folk and country to rock and classical. I'm planning on using the DIY subwoofers as stands. This will also eventually serve for 4.2 or 5.2 movies, but it'll mostly be for music.

So, what are some good options for mostly two channel music with subwoofers in a 4k cubic foot space?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 08-26-2014, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 44
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/wavegui...ion12-kit.html

post #3 of 38 Old 08-26-2014, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Budget?

Statements seem to be highly regarded for music.
post #4 of 38 Old 08-26-2014, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuetdeo View Post
I've looked at the Tempests as well as the 1099, but I've read opinions on the SEOS design not being preferred for music, but then I see plenty who seem to be happy with them. I'm not really convinced one way or the other, but the cut baffles and the price point are definitely quite tempting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samps View Post
Budget?

Statements seem to be highly regarded for music.
Budget is about $800.

I've seen some threads about Statements, but haven't read enough about them. I'll have to check them out more.
post #5 of 38 Old 08-26-2014, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Don't forget the Statements need to be well out from the wall to sound their best due to the open backed midrange, 18-24" IIRC. If that doesn't work for your situation I'd look elsewhere.
post #6 of 38 Old 08-26-2014, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 169
post #7 of 38 Old 08-26-2014, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 353
I'd recommend Sententials.

"If Bad Sound Were Fatal, Audio Would Be the Leading Cause of Death."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 38 Old 08-26-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 275
im curious about statements made about the SEOS designs not being good for music. TBH ive prob heard more SEOS designs than anyone besides EricH and they all are great for music.

post #9 of 38 Old 08-26-2014, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post
im curious about statements made about the SEOS designs not being good for music. TBH ive prob heard more SEOS designs than anyone besides EricH and they all are great for music.
I've have 2 quality DIY conventional speakers and the 1099s. The 1099's are good on music, but not excellent in comparison. The top end and upper mids aren't as smooth. Still way nicer than say, run of the mill polks or other BB speakers. Depends on what you are used to.

EDIT: I should say that I sold off my conventional speakers (being boxed up now lol) because I'm so HT dominant and the SEOS are loads of fun with their lack of compression (which the conventional low efficiency speakers can't touch)

Last edited by Anthony_Gomez; 08-26-2014 at 07:05 PM.
post #10 of 38 Old 08-26-2014, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Which conventional models?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Gomez View Post
I've have 2 quality DIY conventional speakers and the 1099s. The 1099's are good on music, but not excellent in comparison. The top end and upper mids aren't as smooth. Still way nicer than say, run of the mill polks or other BB speakers. Depends on what you are used to.

EDIT: I should say that I sold off my conventional speakers (being boxed up now lol) because I'm so HT dominant and the SEOS are loads of fun with their lack of compression (which the conventional low efficiency speakers can't touch)
post #11 of 38 Old 08-26-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Is that $800 each speaker, $800 the pair, or $800 the pair including subs?
post #12 of 38 Old 08-26-2014, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corradizo View Post
Which conventional models?
Dillon Acoustics Ego (Focal Utopia W/Hiquphon)
Dennis Murphy's Usher 2-way ( 9950/8945A)
post #13 of 38 Old 08-26-2014, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

quit asking the important questions :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasser View Post
So, what are some good options for mostly two channel music with subwoofers in a 4k cubic foot space?
probably worth asking what type of music you listen to. Some speakers do better than others at certain styles of music.
post #14 of 38 Old 08-26-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Those certainly sound like TOTL speakers Anthony. I know others have said they prefer the 1099 to other speakers like Watt puppy's and others, but those who say that like insane SPL. Personally I found them to be incredible at music, but as you know I'm extremely biased. And they certainly were designed with high output HT in mind over most any other form of listening.

Why not keep your smaller speakers for some nice critical listening or another room? I imagine those are exceptional speakers.
post #15 of 38 Old 08-26-2014, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Those certainly sound like TOTL speakers Anthony. I know others have said they prefer the 1099 to other speakers like Watt puppy's and others, but those who say that like insane SPL. Personally I found them to be incredible at music, but as you know I'm extremely biased. And they certainly were designed with high output HT in mind over most any other form of listening.

Why not keep your smaller speakers for some nice critical listening or another room? I imagine those are exceptional speakers.

I'd keep them if 1) I had another room to setup dedicated to music. 2) I didnt often fund my hobby with old hobby goods :P Those speakers had a good life with me and now they are on their way to a new home.

I don't regret for one moment getting the 1099s though. Speakers are all about trade offs. I just traded one set of awesomeness for another. And being that I'm now 99% HT, it was the right move. If I ever do move into a new house and have the room, I'll still keep the 1099's for HT and do something new for music :-D
post #16 of 38 Old 08-26-2014, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
$800 for the pair.

Last edited by wasser; 08-26-2014 at 10:57 PM. Reason: clarification
post #17 of 38 Old 08-26-2014, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
probably worth asking what type of music you listen to. Some speakers do better than others at certain styles of music.
I mentioned it in the OP, but I'm not sure how much that would help narrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasser View Post
I don't need ear shattering loudness, but I'm looking for clean, rich sound in a wide range of music from folk and country to rock and classical.
My tastes are pretty broad. I'm currently playing some old blues from Mississippi John Hurt.
post #18 of 38 Old 08-27-2014, 03:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 154
What about the possibility of upping your budget slightly to go with a pair of Beyma TPL-150 ribbons with a single AE TD12 or AE TD10 for the mid in a -way configuration. That would give you more efficiency and sensitivity than any comparable dome or ribbons.

The ultimate tweeter in regards to music is in my opinion the RAAL lineup. I have their 70-20xr in my 2-channel setup and love them! You could nab some RAAL 15d's for around $300 each and add a pair of Seas or ScanSpeak mid's in a 2-way bookshelf style that would probably be a good bit better than the Statements in the mid and top ranges. You could get Dennis Murphy to help on the crossovers.

Or you could build the Statement Monitors for under $800. Those would be so nice sounding for music. The Seos designs are the ultimate for theater usage, and do pretty well with music, but they just can not compete with the Statement Monitors, TPL-150 or RAAL musicality.
post #19 of 38 Old 08-27-2014, 05:13 AM
d_c
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 79
L/R speakers for music ~$800

Zaphs zdt3.5 are within your budget even after build materials and sound very nice. There is also a horizontal center.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #20 of 38 Old 08-27-2014, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Besides the zdt3.5, I'd also consider the SR71 kit since these will be used with subs.
http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...ir-parts-only/
http://www.zaphaudio.com/SR71.html
post #21 of 38 Old 08-27-2014, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post
I've read multiple threads about mostly the 1099s and while the overall views were very positive, every once in a while a comment will mention how they wouldn't want these for mostly music listening. Now, I'm simplifying and using my own words, but the gist of the comments were they did great for music, but there is better. So, for my purposes, which is dominated by music listening (probably near 95%), I'm wondering if there is better at my price point and if the difference is even that large.

Anthony_Gomez commented about this earlier in the thread, but he also posted a more detailed one in his build thread.
post #22 of 38 Old 08-27-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 361
In that price range, I'll add my vote for the 1099s. I have also heard many different speakers in my room and I think they would be very hard to beat at that price point.

IMO I think the whole music/movie thing gets blown way out of proportion and frankly is stupid. If a high fidelity speaker produces clear sound, has an acceptable frequency response, and good off axis performance, why does it matter if you're watching a movie (which by the way has music in a soundtrack) or listening to music?

post #23 of 38 Old 08-27-2014, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post
IMO I think the whole music/movie thing gets blown way out of proportion and frankly is stupid. If a high fidelity speaker produces clear sound, has an acceptable frequency response, and good off axis performance, why does it matter if you're watching a movie (which by the way has music in a soundtrack) or listening to music?
Your comment makes the assumption that the content (dynamics and frequency spectrum) of the two types of sources are the same when in fact they are often very different.
post #24 of 38 Old 08-27-2014, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Tempests are AWESOME for music.

But if you can fit them get the sentinels, they're even better.

post #25 of 38 Old 08-27-2014, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post
What about the possibility of upping your budget slightly to go with a pair of Beyma TPL-150 ribbons with a single AE TD12 or AE TD10 for the mid in a -way configuration. That would give you more efficiency and sensitivity than any comparable dome or ribbons.

The ultimate tweeter in regards to music is in my opinion the RAAL lineup. I have their 70-20xr in my 2-channel setup and love them! You could nab some RAAL 15d's for around $300 each and add a pair of Seas or ScanSpeak mid's in a 2-way bookshelf style that would probably be a good bit better than the Statements in the mid and top ranges. You could get Dennis Murphy to help on the crossovers.

Or you could build the Statement Monitors for under $800. Those would be so nice sounding for music. The Seos designs are the ultimate for theater usage, and do pretty well with music, but they just can not compete with the Statement Monitors, TPL-150 or RAAL musicality.
How low can you cross the RAAL's?
Thinking about a 2 way with a JBL 2226h.

MKtheater -"I just saw 300 tonight, great movie. I literally wanted to spear people after the show."

post #26 of 38 Old 08-27-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Your comment makes the assumption that the content (dynamics and frequency spectrum) of the two types of sources are the same when in fact they are often very different.
Movies can contain some of the most dynamic content I can think of. Frequency spectrum will vary, but many movies contain quite demanding soundtrack material. My point being - if it (speaker being reviewed) sounds great for a wide variety of movie content it will also not suck when playing music. I think the primary difference for most is that they are focused more on the audio side of things when listening critically in a music session.

The one consideration I would make for a "music only" type setup is frequency range on the low end. If one is not open to using subs, that will limit the pool of available gear obviously and often clashes with speakers designed as higher efficiency models which would limit the low end if used without dedicated subs in the chain.

Last edited by Gorilla83; 08-27-2014 at 10:19 AM.
post #27 of 38 Old 08-27-2014, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

You are putting words into my mouth that I never said. Any good speaker should sound good for music or movies. But a speaker that is excellent for music makes compromises so that it isn't excellent for movies and visa versa.
post #28 of 38 Old 08-27-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I am a believer that a speaker should be good on both. Having said that, Anthony's frame of reference seems to be low effeciency yet very good, very flat, and very smooth drivers with very wide extension; then over to the 1099 which is very high effeciency but not that flat of FR. I even state it in the 1099 thread that it's not the flattest thing in the world. Better than many high effeciency designs I might say though.

Having said that, I find them spectacular for music, but hey, I made them so what do you expect. I've had speaker that are very flat and smooth yet don't sound realistic like the 1099.
Anthony_Gomez and chalugadp like this.
post #29 of 38 Old 08-27-2014, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

I think what I said when I commented more elaborately, still holds and that was that I was spoiled :P I've been to a handful of audio meets, and major audio events and heard all sorts of system costing tens to hundreds of thousands. If you really distill things down though, I don't think the average person who hasn't experienced some of the speakers I've listened to, would have any reservations about the 1099 paired with a sub. In fact, I think they would be ecstatic with the clean dynamics. <$800 for the 1099 gets you a hell of a good sounding system for the money and it's really hard to beat their performance if you can handle the size. If I was into rock like the OP mentioned, I wouldn't want low efficiency/surface area speakers that I'm more used to. Silky smooth little domes and ribbon tweeters are awesome, but ...trade offs!
post #30 of 38 Old 08-27-2014, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Anthony - you've almost sold me on 1099s. The way yours look sitting on your subs is what settled it for me to move away from towers and to using subs as stands for the L/R. That arrangement will just be perfect for space in my room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
Tempests are AWESOME for music.

But if you can fit them get the sentinels, they're even better.
And yet you've got the Tempests. Did the Sentinels not fit for you?
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page