• 2 Post By dtsdig
  • 1 Post By kapone

post #1 of 13 Old 08-26-2014, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Elusive 1099 Suggestion

I've been lurking around looking for a project for a 5.1 HT setup. My original plan was to go with B&W CT 7.3 for the front but at $1500, I have a feeling I can DIY something that competes at a fraction of the price. I want something with clear vocals and something that I can use in a HT, strictly for movies (I have a nice setup for music already).

I've heard a lot of good things about elusive 1099 speakers, mainly following some notable builds here. The build looks fun, and the excitement of building something is satisfying. What can people who have experience tell me about this speaker and how does it compare with speakers in the $1,000 range? Is it something I can even compare it with? Will this be good enough for HT? Obviously I can't go to the store at test it out, but seeing that these speakers sell out fast, I presume it is very good for the money.

If not the 1099, what else can you recommend for HT mains?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-26-2014, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 173
88 Specials or tempest or sentinel :P The SOES designs are really solid for HT at their price point.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-27-2014, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar0215 View Post
I've heard a lot of good things about elusive 1099 speakers, mainly following some notable builds here. The build looks fun, and the excitement of building something is satisfying. What can people who have experience tell me about this speaker and how does it compare with speakers in the $1,000 range? Is it something I can even compare it with? Will this be good enough for HT? Obviously I can't go to the store at test it out, but seeing that these speakers sell out fast, I presume it is very good for the money.
The 1099's are killer for HT and music alike. Several members were able to compare them to a few high end commercial offerings at the recent Vancouver GTG. Also, Bob Sorel (one of the mods on here) replaced his Unity Horn center with a 1099 center and was talking about replacing his other Unity's for a full 1099 setup as far as I remember. His comments start around post 700 on the main 1099 thread.
SO long as you're planning on running with subs so that you can cross them over around 80Hz, I think you'll be quite pleased. There's lots of help available for the crossovers and such if you need it.
Fatshaft and BCRSS like this.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-27-2014, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 164
All the high end SEOS designs smoke anything even remotely close in price range commercially.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-27-2014, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone use the 1099 for Center AND Left/Right?
post #6 of 13 Old 08-27-2014, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
There have been nine or ten 1099 builds recently, most of which have been a full front stage of 1099's. I have had mine up and running for a little over a week now. Lots of fun to build, even more fun to enjoy now that they are built.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-27-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
I'll soon have 1099s for Center AND Left/Right AND Left-wide/Right-Wide... I'll let you know you at that point.

p.s. The flat packs came. Now, I have 5 flat packs sitting and staring at me and saying "Watcha gonna do now, boy??"
BCRSS likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-27-2014, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

yup, and love it!

build thread
post #9 of 13 Old 08-27-2014, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post
I'll soon have 1099s for Center AND Left/Right AND Left-wide/Right-Wide... I'll let you know you at that point.

p.s. The flat packs came. Now, I have 5 flat packs sitting and staring at me and saying "Watcha gonna do now, boy??"

Ah crap now you went and did it,,,got me thinking I should maybe go that route also since I already am running 9.2.
Hurry up and get them done so you can give me some impressions. I can't imagine how much more dynamic the front will be.

Tux's Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---Ascend CBM-170 SE (surrounds 9.2)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---2 DIY 18's sealed--AVR Denon 4520CI---TV Vizio 70---110" Motorized Screen---Epson 8350 Projector---Unraid 32TB Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
post #10 of 13 Old 08-27-2014, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

I'm trying to imagine what a 9.2 system with 1099's would look like in my 12.5 x 14 room :P
post #11 of 13 Old 08-27-2014, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Gomez View Post
yup, and love it!

build thread
That looks amazing!

Thank you everyone for all your help. I am very passionate about this project now and I can't wait to start. One last thing, what amplification is everyone using? I realize these are very efficient, but some amps have characteristics that are more compatible with others and not with other brands.

Last edited by rockstar0215; 08-27-2014 at 10:08 PM.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-28-2014, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
That looks amazing!

Thank you everyone for all your help. I am very passionate about this project now and I can't wait to start. One last thing, what amplification is everyone using? I realize these are very efficient, but some amps have characteristics that are more compatible with others and not with other brands.
Today's amplifiers do not have those "characteristics" that you speak of. It's very easy, in today's electronic markets, to design an amp, receiver, DAC, CD player, DVD and BluRay players to sound sonically transparent. Even 15 years ago, this may not have been the case. Like don't mean to beat a dead horse, but, there have been plenty of Double Blind Test with matched levels to confirm that most, if not all of us would have a hard time discerning one amplifier from another, regardless of the cost of the amp.

I actually used to be in the other category in that I thought amplifiers had a unique sonic signature, and I even thought that I could tell the differences myself, that is, until some buddies and myself did a blind test between several different high end amplifiers, ie: McIntosh, and some low end or mid-fi amps. The results blew my mind and forever changed how I approach this topic.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-28-2014, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post
Today's amplifiers do not have those "characteristics" that you speak of. It's very easy, in today's electronic markets, to design an amp, receiver, DAC, CD player, DVD and BluRay players to sound sonically transparent. Even 15 years ago, this may not have been the case. Like don't mean to beat a dead horse, but, there have been plenty of Double Blind Test with matched levels to confirm that most, if not all of us would have a hard time discerning one amplifier from another, regardless of the cost of the amp.

I actually used to be in the other category in that I thought amplifiers had a unique sonic signature, and I even thought that I could tell the differences myself, that is, until some buddies and myself did a blind test between several different high end amplifiers, ie: McIntosh, and some low end or mid-fi amps. The results blew my mind and forever changed how I approach this topic.
I honestly wish I had those resources because I've always been skeptical of that sort of stuff and even sometimes even preferred "low end" cheaper stuff at times. An objective listen would be a great idea. I guess the best thing I can get then is something that looks killer in a rack...
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page