• 1 Post By chalugadp
  • 1 Post By Nabukicks

post #1 of 16 Old 08-30-2014, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Help with 2 SI 18's

Finished up my 1099's a week or so ago. Now it's time for my subs. I have ordered 2 SI 18 d4's. The drivers and iNuke 300dsp are due to arrive on Wednesday, Sept. 3, cables and accessories on Friday the 5th.

My placement options are kind of difficult. I have place behind my screen for one sub, possibly even a full marty with a little adjustment to my screen. The second sub is where it gets a little more tricky. Before I sold my HSU, I found that the best placement was actually in the back corner of my room, where I was supposed to have a mini fridge under a countertop. Not ideal, but its where it sounded best, so I just moved the fridge into my maintenance room next to my theater. The dimensions for the space is 24" deep, 21"wide, 33" tall. I do have the potential to cut out the back wall and have another 12" of depth, but the sides and height are pretty much set in stone. I need help putting together dimensions for this second sub.

I think that I prefer ported, as I tend to listen at higher volumes. usage will be 95% HT (action, war, sci-fi movies mostly) and 5% music dance party for my niece and nephew when they are over. If I go full marty up front, what can I do in the limited fridge space?

Full marty would go where the small Onkyo HTIB sub is in the first picture. Second picture shows the space for the second sub.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1429.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	237514   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1444.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	237522  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-30-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1076 Post(s)
Liked: 1070
Cut out the back wall and you can have another full marty , just a different shape.
Bombelman likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-30-2014, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
Cut out the back wall and you can have another full marty , just a different shape.
I don't think K I have enough space to do 2 feet back behind the wall. My sump pump access is about a foot behind the wall. If I went the full 33" high, but only 21, how far back would I need to go to maintain the same cubic ft inside?
post #4 of 16 Old 08-30-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

33 by 21 by 30 will be good
post #5 of 16 Old 08-31-2014, 12:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 1121
dayum chief, you have plenty of room for subs behind the screen.

check out what jbrown15 did:

LTD-M18 Sub Build

something like that would work great for you. firing a sub at that support is no problem. the sound will go right around it at bass frequencies.

ideally, you want to shoot for something like this for driver placement, but if you only have two, that is a good start.

and how it looks in practice:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jb.png
Views:	250
Size:	518.0 KB
ID:	238329  

Listen. It's All Good.

Last edited by LTD02; 08-31-2014 at 12:40 AM.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-31-2014, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
dayum chief, you have plenty of room for subs behind the screen.

Unfortunately, I cant put any subs on the left side behind the support. There is only 6-7" of open space behind the support. There is another wall protruding from the back wall that supports the staircase above. It's not ideal for speaker placement, but it was the only way to layout my room without sacrificing other things. You can kind of see the wall in the picture below.

I like the dimensions of jbrowns boxes. It would make it a little easier to squeeze them in back behind the screen without having to adjust the screen at all. If I was to stack two of them in between my Center and Right, would that be better than having one there and one in the opposite corner under the countertop? I know it is always said that adding a second sub will help room response, but if I was to just add a second sub in front, does that defeat the purpose? With my HSU, I found it sounded much better at the MLP when it was located in the back corner behind the counter. I am open to doing either, whatever will give me the best back massage in my chair .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7 Stage and doors done 1.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	238913  
Bombelman likes this.
post #7 of 16 Old 09-01-2014, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 34
what idiot would ever think about cutting away a perfectly good wall to fit a sub ?
lol... we all would :-)

great setup you have there !! nice room too...

about the subs:
why not use the space to the left of the support for the sub,
where you currently have your Front-Left standing, and have that on top of the sub ?
post #8 of 16 Old 09-03-2014, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Drivers and Inuke arrived today. I'm still undecided on placement and box construction. After LTD suggested something similar to JBrowns setup, I have read through about half of his thread, and the dimensions of his boxes are very appealing to me. They would fit great behind my screen without having to modify it to pull the screen forward. My only question is if stacking two of them between my center and right channel would help get rid of the small null in the main row of seats. It would be awesome to not have to build two different box designs and place one where the fridge was planned, but if that is going to be better, I am willing to do so. Ideally, I would prefer both stacked behind the screen if possible. Thoughts?
post #9 of 16 Old 09-04-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 76
You answered your own question.

Two up front = louder but null

One in back will take more EQ work and have lower spl but should help null.

Why can't both cabs be the same as the fridge space?
post #10 of 16 Old 09-04-2014, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post
You answered your own question.

Two up front = louder but null

One in back will take more EQ work and have lower spl but should help null.

Why can't both cabs be the same as the fridge space?
I suppose the outer dimensions could be identical. The one under the counter top would be front firing and front porter, then I could have the one behind the screen sideways. Hmmm. I was hoping for ease of construction to just copy one of the tried and true designs, but sounds like I need to have custom boxes for my application. I guess it's "do it yourself" for a reason, not "copy someone else."
post #11 of 16 Old 09-04-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Lol. Well there is nothing special about a slot ported box design in all honesty. Just pick your tune according to the driver specs and get'er done! I'm sure if you need help plenty will chime in to get your port length correct. My first car audio system back in 1995 used two Rockford 15s with a slot port and was amazing since had never heard one before then. Nothing tricky just another 2 or so cuts to form the panel and some braces for it to sit on.
post #12 of 16 Old 09-05-2014, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabukicks View Post
Drivers and Inuke arrived today. I'm still undecided on placement and box construction. After LTD suggested something similar to JBrowns setup, I have read through about half of his thread, and the dimensions of his boxes are very appealing to me. They would fit great behind my screen without having to modify it to pull the screen forward. My only question is if stacking two of them between my center and right channel would help get rid of the small null in the main row of seats. It would be awesome to not have to build two different box designs and place one where the fridge was planned, but if that is going to be better, I am willing to do so. Ideally, I would prefer both stacked behind the screen if possible. Thoughts?
That's a nice room you have there! What are the dimensions? Like others have said, subs in the front and the back will help with nulls. Either way, you'll get it figured out.
post #13 of 16 Old 09-05-2014, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
That's a nice room you have there! What are the dimensions? Like others have said, subs in the front and the back will help with nulls. Either way, you'll get it figured out.
Thanks! The room took longer than I thought it would, but it was a lot of fun. I learned a lot of new stuff while doing it. The dimensions are roughly 14 wide x 18 deep to back wall. It's by no means an ideal size or layout, but given a couple limiting obstacles, I am happy with how it turned out. I had a minimal build thread in the dedicated theater forum, but didn't get much feedback so I stopped updating for a while in the middle of the project. You can check out more picks and info there if you'd like.

I was trying to find a way to still be able to place the fridge where i had originally intended, under the counter. Well last night I decided to put it there until i had the subs done....I forgot to take into account the thickness of tile when I built the enclosure for the space. I ended up being a half inch short, so 85% of the fridge fit, but the hinge for the dolor was too high and wouldn't fit under. So i guess it's meant to be that I put the sub down there.

If I go with outer dimensions of 21x24x33, any ideas what kind of port I'll need if I am aiming for 17hz tune? I have no idea what I'm doing with this. Maybe I'll try winsid again this weekend and see if I can figure it out.
post #14 of 16 Old 09-05-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Around 46" +- 2". 2" is about 1/2 a hz.
post #15 of 16 Old 09-05-2014, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter