Fusion 12 Tempest Damping - Too much, too little, wrong places? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By mtg90
  • 1 Post By Erich H

Old 08-31-2014, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Fusion 12 Tempest Damping - Too much, too little, wrong places?

Any thoughts or suggestions on how I'm planning on damping the Fusion 12? I'm leaving some places bare to avoid direct contact with the speaker and ports, and I'm not planning on adding any insulation to the top or bottom, mostly due to space issues.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-31 14.14.30.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	238833   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-31 14.14.07.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	238841   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-31 14.13.58.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	238857  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
I'd add more, you can always take some out.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked: 304
I did less than that and it works great. Yours should be good.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1286 Post(s)
Liked: 1556
That looks like a lot to me. 1.5" acoustic foam (or similar) is good.

Don't forget to post a review of your speaker kits on their product page.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 600
That's about how much I would use. You don't want too little, too little can leave you with a muddy midrange because the back wave is not being properly absorbed, too much will only reduce bass output from the ports.
SpinMonster likes this.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Yep. Your good
Old 09-01-2014, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick responses. I guess I'll stick with what I have for now (3 votes for enough, 1 vote for too much, 1 vote for too little). It's 2"-thick insulation, so I'm limited in where I can put it. Adding more than what's there will mean I'd either have to cut it in half, which is a pain to do, or it will be directly bumping up against the speakers or ports. I'll plan on using minimal adhesive so I can always go back and rip it out if it's too damped.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1286 Post(s)
Liked: 1556
When I asked the designer how much he used, he told me 1.5" acoustic foam (egg crate style) lining the internal walls, but not blocking the ports. He said he also stuck a good handful of pillow stuffing up towards the top of the box.

One of the most important places would be behind the woofer. Not sure I like how your insulation is acting like a 'wall' between the waveguide and woofer area.
kingpin111 likes this.

Don't forget to post a review of your speaker kits on their product page.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
When I asked the designer how much he used, he told me 1.5" acoustic foam (egg crate style) lining the internal walls, but not blocking the ports. He said he also stuck a good handful of pillow stuffing up towards the top of the box.

One of the most important places would be behind the woofer. Not sure I like how your insulation is acting like a 'wall' between the waveguide and woofer area.
I'd remove the material between the woofer and waveguide. I'd stuff that with dacron firm but not overly stuffed behind the waveguide up to the woofer. I asked Jeff and I went with 1 1/2" egg crate on the outside walls staying clear of the ports. I then used the pillow material around the waveguide. I pulled apart the pillow stuffing a bit to thin it out but put it in there and then behind the woofer. Worked out well.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Canada View Post
I'd remove the material between the woofer and waveguide. I'd stuff that with dacron firm but not overly stuffed behind the waveguide up to the woofer. I asked Jeff and I went with 1 1/2" egg crate on the outside walls staying clear of the ports. I then used the pillow material around the waveguide. I pulled apart the pillow stuffing a bit to thin it out but put it in there and then behind the woofer. Worked out well.
Quote:

The separation between the woofer and waveguide is basically at the suggestion of Wayne Parham at Pi speakers. I realize that this is a totally different speaker, but the idea being "It sort of partitions the cabinet into upper and lower sections. Bass passes right through, but midrange is attenuated" (to quote Wayne).

But, I can be convinced to take it out if this recommendation seems really wrong or if there's a reason why it won't work as well given this speaker design.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blnd2Spll View Post
The separation between the woofer and waveguide is basically at the suggestion of Wayne Parham at Pi speakers. I realize that this is a totally different speaker, but the idea being "It sort of partitions the cabinet into upper and lower sections. Bass passes right through, but midrange is attenuated" (to quote Wayne).

But, I can be convinced to take it out if this recommendation seems really wrong or if there's a reason why it won't work as well given this speaker design.
Message Jeff Bagby. I stuffed mine the way he told me to. He designed the speaker and tested it. Your call. I can't say that I did it correctly for certain. When I go to Indiana for work I'll drop one of mine off to be tested to see if I did them all correctly.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

I built mine with 1.5" egg crate foam lining all the internal walls only, not stuffing any polyfill, should I stuffing? would it improves a lot after stuffing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement