SEOS-24, BMS 4594ND, Dual AE TD18H+ - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 89Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 475 Old 09-03-2014, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 2,029
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 345
SEOS-24, BMS 4594ND, Dual AE TD18H+

There are similar builds by Chop and erwinfrombelgium, but this one will use different mid-bass drivers. I plan on using the same 450hz XO and the MTM arrangement.

The AE drivers (8ohm with black phase plug, non-apollo) have already been purchased, and I've heard the lead time from AE can be a little while, but I’m in no rush. I need to sell my current mains before I have the cash to purchase the BMS drivers anyway.

Since I already have a miniDSP 10x10 and enough amps, this will be all active, with the exception of the 6,300hz crossover for the HF driver in the BMS coax.

The 18s will be ported with a slot port, with a tune somewhere from 35-40hz. They obviously won’t be completely full range, but most of the time they’ll be crossed at 80hz anyway. However, with a ~35hz tune, they should do fairly well for most music without subs. WinISD simulations seem to show that anything over 5 cu.ft per 18 isn't beneficial, so I’m leaning towards that number for box volume for each 18.

Similar to Chop’s build, it will be modular, but with this one, even the SEOS will have its own box completely separate from the 18s. Since Baltic birch isn’t cheap, and this build will be modular without weight concerns, I’ll be using MDF with plenty of bracing and doubled up baffles.
lukeamdman is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 475 Old 09-03-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gpmbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,555
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Nice Luke, so dual 18s per speaker?
gpmbc is online now  
post #3 of 475 Old 09-03-2014, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 2,029
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post
Nice Luke, so dual 18s per speaker?
Yep
lukeamdman is online now  
post #4 of 475 Old 09-03-2014, 03:00 PM
Member
 
awedio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 26
When did you order & receive your AE drivers?

John is currently quoting 6 - 8 weeks lead time
awedio is offline  
post #5 of 475 Old 09-03-2014, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 2,029
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by awedio View Post
When did you order & receive your AE drivers?

John is currently quoting 6 - 8 weeks lead time
I just purchased them today. 8 weeks is fine, no rush.
lukeamdman is online now  
post #6 of 475 Old 09-03-2014, 03:05 PM
Member
 
awedio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Ok.

Did you consider getting the Apollo option, even though these are mid-bass drivers ?

Wooow, 18 inch for mid-bass, f%^&ing crazies on these forum's
awedio is offline  
post #7 of 475 Old 09-03-2014, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 2,029
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by awedio View Post
Ok.

Did you consider getting the Apollo option, even though these are mid-bass drivers ?

Wooow, 18 inch for mid-bass, f%^&ing crazies on these forum's
I did, but at an extra $150 per driver....yikes.
lukeamdman is online now  
post #8 of 475 Old 09-03-2014, 03:10 PM
Member
 
awedio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Yep, I hear you.

You ordered 6 AE18's?
awedio is offline  
post #9 of 475 Old 09-03-2014, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 2,029
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by awedio View Post
Yep, I hear you.

You ordered 6 AE18's?
I'm running a phantom center, so only 4.
lukeamdman is online now  
post #10 of 475 Old 09-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Member
 
awedio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Even with only 4, that's is still a lot of cone area
awedio is offline  
post #11 of 475 Old 09-03-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tuxedocivic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ladysmith, BC
Posts: 5,755
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked: 899
Great to see this happening Luke! Will be following along.

Be sure to try different XO points. Just cause 450 worked for chop doesn't mean its optimal for you. What is your ceiling height?
tuxedocivic is online now  
post #12 of 475 Old 09-03-2014, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 2,029
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Great to see this happening Luke! Will be following along.

Be sure to try different XO points. Just cause 450 worked for chop doesn't mean its optimal for you. What is your ceiling height?
The soffits the speakers will be under are only 7ft.

If the crossover point has to be somewhere between 450-600hz that's fine with me. I guess I won't know for sure until I take measurements.
lukeamdman is online now  
post #13 of 475 Old 09-03-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tuxedocivic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ladysmith, BC
Posts: 5,755
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked: 899
Is it 7ft at the ceiling reflection?

I'm betting a little higher XO would be beneficial for you here. Better vertical directivity match to the SEOS 24 (I'd have to look more closely at the numbers though, this is off the top of my head), and a little better power handling. Maybe 550hz with LR4 acoustic slopes. Possibly BW2 on the tweeter and LR4 on the woofer to get there. Set delay and you'll be grinning ear to ear.

Really happy to see this happen. Chop's build is great but this is how I would have done it if I were him.
tuxedocivic is online now  
post #14 of 475 Old 09-03-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chrapladm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 3,362
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Another great build. Subscribed for sure.
chrapladm is online now  
post #15 of 475 Old 09-03-2014, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 1,608
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 374
This will be one he'll of a speaker. Nice selection of drivers.

___________________________________________
NWCgrad's Mostly DIY Basement HT - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html
NWCgrad's 10” coaxial collaborative design - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...ve-design.html
NWCgrad is offline  
post #16 of 475 Old 09-04-2014, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 2,029
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Is it 7ft at the ceiling reflection?

I'm betting a little higher XO would be beneficial for you here. Better vertical directivity match to the SEOS 24 (I'd have to look more closely at the numbers though, this is off the top of my head), and a little better power handling. Maybe 550hz with LR4 acoustic slopes. Possibly BW2 on the tweeter and LR4 on the woofer to get there. Set delay and you'll be grinning ear to ear.

Really happy to see this happen. Chop's build is great but this is how I would have done it if I were him.
Ceiling reflection will be around 7'8", but I've stuffed all the floor joists with insulation, and even when the ceiling is finished it's going to be either fabric or panels of 1.5" thick OC 705.
lukeamdman is online now  
post #17 of 475 Old 09-04-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tuxedocivic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ladysmith, BC
Posts: 5,755
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked: 899
Nice ceiling

Then just the floor would be the concern.
tuxedocivic is online now  
post #18 of 475 Old 09-04-2014, 09:52 AM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 15,846
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1868 Post(s)
Liked: 1606
Now this is the build I want to see!

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is offline  
post #19 of 475 Old 09-04-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 10,085
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post
There are similar builds by Chop and erwinfrombelgium, but this one will use different mid-bass drivers. I plan on using the same 450hz XO and the MTM arrangement.

The AE drivers (8ohm with black phase plug, non-apollo) have already been purchased, and I've heard the lead time from AE can be a little while, but I’m in no rush. I need to sell my current mains before I have the cash to purchase the BMS drivers anyway.

Since I already have a miniDSP 10x10 and enough amps, this will be all active, with the exception of the 6,300hz crossover for the HF driver in the BMS coax.

The 18s will be ported with a slot port, with a tune somewhere from 35-40hz. They obviously won’t be completely full range, but most of the time they’ll be crossed at 80hz anyway. However, with a ~35hz tune, they should do fairly well for most music without subs. WinISD simulations seem to show that anything over 5 cu.ft per 18 isn't beneficial, so I’m leaning towards that number for box volume for each 18.

Similar to Chop’s build, it will be modular, but with this one, even the SEOS will have its own box completely separate from the 18s. Since Baltic birch isn’t cheap, and this build will be modular without weight concerns, I’ll be using MDF with plenty of bracing and doubled up baffles.
I am using a single TD18H with my mains. Running sealed 4.25 CF right now, but may go a little smaller. Was crossing at 80hz. Lowered to 40hz am am liking what I hear. Need to do some sweeps, but waiting until Face2 gets done with measurements before I start in with too much. TD18H's are really nice drivers. You can get all the mid-bass you want.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #20 of 475 Old 09-06-2014, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 2,029
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 345
WinISD is barking at these parameters:



Anyone see the issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1524
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	249698  
lukeamdman is online now  
post #21 of 475 Old 09-06-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mtg90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Millbrook, IL
Posts: 1,071
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Remove the data you entered into Qes, Qts, Vas, Fs and let it auto calculate those values.
mtg90 is offline  
post #22 of 475 Old 09-06-2014, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 2,029
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post
Remove the data you entered into Qes, Qts, Vas, Fs and let it auto calculate those values.
Bingo, thanks!

What's the rule of thumb for the first port resonance? If I'm going to be crossing this most likely around 550hz, how far above 550hz should that first resonance be?

In a simulation with a 7cu.ft box, 35hz tune, and a 23.5" x 2" slot port, it's showing around 747hz.

Is that too low?



Also, how does the port velocity look? This is with 600w.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1497
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	249754  
lukeamdman is online now  
post #23 of 475 Old 09-06-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chrapladm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 3,362
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Rule of thumb has been to stay one octave higher than your crossover. So for a 450hz XO I would shoot for a 900 1st port resonance. BUT this is not always possible while trying to keep ports from chuffing. My goals have made me chose what SPL I will actually be seeing and design for that. A lot of the times large woofers are hard to find a high port resonance and allow enough for air speed to keep in check.

BUT YMMV.
chrapladm is online now  
post #24 of 475 Old 09-06-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tuxedocivic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ladysmith, BC
Posts: 5,755
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked: 899
I'd let the port velocity go up to allow for a high port resonance. Neither are very important to me personally. Also, model the port speed with a high pass on it and you'll find the port speed goes way down, allowing for smaller ports.
tuxedocivic is online now  
post #25 of 475 Old 09-06-2014, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 2,029
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
I'd let the port velocity go up to allow for a high port resonance. Neither are very important to me personally. Also, model the port speed with a high pass on it and you'll find the port speed goes way down, allowing for smaller ports.
That picture is with a BW3 28hz HPF...

You should have seen it before the filter!
lukeamdman is online now  
post #26 of 475 Old 09-06-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tuxedocivic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ladysmith, BC
Posts: 5,755
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked: 899
Ok good. Won't you cross to subs around 40hz though? Maybe even higher.
tuxedocivic is online now  
post #27 of 475 Old 09-06-2014, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 2,029
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Ok good. Won't you cross to subs around 40hz though? Maybe even higher.
Yep. 90% of the time they'll be crossed at 80hz and run with the subs.
lukeamdman is online now  
post #28 of 475 Old 09-06-2014, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 2,029
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 345
If I shrink the port from 23.5" x 2" to 23.5" x 1.5", it raises the first port resonance from ~750hz to ~1,100hz. That will have to do.

The box at 7cu.ft is larger than I'd like, but making it any smaller requires the port to be even smaller in order to bring the resonance down, which makes the port velocity go way up. I think what I have planned above is a good balance of everything, unless one of the gurus on here see something I don't!



Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1471
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	250370  
lukeamdman is online now  
post #29 of 475 Old 09-07-2014, 01:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
LTD02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 18,069
Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked: 1514
fwiw, the ports on this one appear to be about 28 sq inches cross sectional area, each. two drivers, two ports. they are real 20hz full rangers, so you might be able to go a little less port than that per driver since you won't be tuned quite as low.


http://www.genelec.com/products/1036a/

Listen. It's All Good.
LTD02 is offline  
post #30 of 475 Old 09-07-2014, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
lukeamdman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 2,029
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Since the box for the SEOS will be 25" wide, here's what I'm planning for each 18:

25" wide, 28" tall, and 21.5" deep. That should be about 7.2cu.ft before the bracing, port, and the driver.

Port will be 22.75" wide (after a .75" brace down the center), 1.5" tall, and 6" deep.
Scott Simonian likes this.
lukeamdman is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off