• 1 Post By audiovideoholic
  • 1 Post By Electrodynamic

post #1 of 12 Old 09-03-2014, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
help i think i screwed up my si 18

last night i was listening to music at a reasonable level and on of my subs started making a rattling sound so i took it out of the box and shook it and it sounds like something came loose inside the voice coil. anyone know what this could be? is this something i can fix? the sub is only a week old and ive got 30 people coming over for football on sunday and would love to show them both off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-03-2014, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbclamper View Post
last night i was listening to music at a reasonable level and on of my subs started making a rattling sound so i took it out of the box and shook it and it sounds like something came loose inside the voice coil. anyone know what this could be? is this something i can fix? the sub is only a week old and ive got 30 people coming over for football on sunday and would love to show them both off.
Did the former colar detach from the spider? Push on the cone from the underside and see the colar is attached to the spider.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-03-2014, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynym View Post
Did the former colar detach from the spider? Push on the cone from the underside and see the colar is attached to the spider.
nope still attached. sounds like its in the voice coils
post #4 of 12 Old 09-03-2014, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
nope still attached. sounds like its in the voice coils
i just looked through the bottom of the magnet and it looks like there is a round disc rolling around in there. the speaker still worked fine just sounded like something was hopping around inside
post #5 of 12 Old 09-03-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 439
I've never dissected an SI before, but usually that sound is the voicecoil glue coming apart from too much heat.

I've never heard of no disc, perhaps an alignment shim?

That's one thing I like about the LMS-18, they don't use shims, rather machined interlocking metal plates and they can be disassembled easily to remove debris or whatnot.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-03-2014, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
i just looked through the bottom of the magnet and it looks like there is a round disc rolling around in there. the speaker still worked fine just sounded like something was hopping around inside
Without having the woofer in front of me, or pictures, to inspect it is very difficult to properly assess the issue. However, I recently replied to your email about your problem. As mentioned by BassThatHz we do not have the soft parts assembled on the basket and then screwed into place via the large openings below the spider that the TC basket provides. However, we do utilize VC former caps to increase the air flow from/around the VC ID and out the pole piece. What the cause of your issue can not be properly assessed without us seeing the woofer and fixing it.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-04-2014, 12:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
sounds like you are in good hands.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-04-2014, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
sounds like you are in good hands.

Questionable hands at best....I had this happen, the glue came loose, and half of the outside layer of voice coil was slamming around like a rail gun. Ohms on the connectors look good but a ridiculous rattle at anything louder than 10%. Good luck with any customer SERVICE from that company. Might want to try the ultimax or the Dayton 18ho.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-04-2014, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by More is Better View Post
Questionable hands at best....I had this happen, the glue came loose, and half of the outside layer of voice coil was slamming around like a rail gun. Ohms on the connectors look good but a ridiculous rattle at anything louder than 10%. Good luck with any customer SERVICE from that company. Might want to try the ultimax or the Dayton 18ho.
Sucks you had a less than stellar experience with Nick and SI, but remember PE has also mucked up their track record while dealing with these types of situations, all companies do from time to time. Just imagine how many of these woofers have been sold compared to having issues such as yours and the op's. Not try to defend SI or kick PE in the kahoonies, but reading some the nightmares people were having with other certain types of hardware like receivers or digital projectors gave me the heebie geebies. Does anyone remember the amp debacle on the MFW-15s?
cessna1466u likes this.

V.X.Donique
Introducing the Vier Systems Xero.1/Midbasiks Subwoofer builds....
Creator of the AVScience DIY Speakers and Subwoofers Forum
"Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory." -Bruce Lee
post #10 of 12 Old 09-05-2014, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

nick is taking care of the speaker for me
Anthony_Gomez and BCRSS like this.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-05-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Great to hear! Stuff like that makes or breaks a business but all business models "should" always make it right without hesitation if it's a manufacturing defect, and Nick appears to not have even blinked an eye without even seeing the driver first. Kudos to him!
Fatshaft likes this.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-06-2014, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by More is Better View Post
It sounds like you sent your driver(s) too much power causing coil damage if the coil(s) started coming apart. I almost said I don't recall a woofer being returned to us with this issue but I know that we have not had a woofer returned to us with said issue. Our warranty (click the link to download a PDF of our warranty) clearly states that if you suspect a problem with the woofer to be a defect caused by us (not from too much power) to send it back to us and if it is a manufacturers defect you will be reimbursed for your shipping cost, have the woofer repaired for free, and then shipped back to you for no charge (paragraphs 4 and 5). Did you send your woofer in to us? If so, do have a tracking number for your shipment so I can look it up?
Bombelman likes this.

Last edited by Electrodynamic; 09-06-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page