Help - Ultimax 18 and iNuke 3000 DSP -> very low volume? - AVS Forum
DIY Speakers and Subs > Help - Ultimax 18 and iNuke 3000 DSP -> very low volume?
Mtrc808 02:47 AM 09-04-2014
I just about finished with my Ultimax 18 in 4 cu ft sealed subwoofer. I just hooked it up and barely any sound is coming out of it on settings which I would expect to shake everything in my room. I am wondering if I messed up the wiring or the setup somehow.

I would really appreciate any trouble shooting help. Having a party this Friday and would love to have the sub operational. Been trying really hard to finish it the past few weeks and now really bummed I can't get it to work.

My setup:

Emotiva USP-1
-sub XLR Out to XLR Ch A In (crossovers set at 80)
-speakers set to full range for now

iNuke
-set to Bridge mode
-gain on DSP on the comp set to 0
-i have the knob on channel A pointing straight up - when i turn it all the way to the right, i start seeing clipping lights at low volumes

Wiring (iNuke to Ultimax 18)
-Using output channel A
-Speakon 1+ (positive) and 2+ (negative)

Wiring inside sub
-positive (1+) from iNuke to positive (red) terminal on one voice coil
-from same voice coil, i have a jumper from the negative (black) to positive (red) on second voice coil
-from second voice coil, i connected the negative (black) terminal to the negative (2+) on speakon

Is this correct configuration?

FriscoDTM's Avatar FriscoDTM 08:04 AM 09-04-2014
try turning the gain up?
DevonDeyholos's Avatar DevonDeyholos 08:49 AM 09-04-2014
First thought: What happens if you take your speakers off of full range? I know with my old Pioneer receiver if I had the front speakers set to large it automatically killed the signal to the sub. My fronts had to be set to small for the sub to get a signal.

Second thought: I use a peavey as my sub amp and it has 3 modes on the channel inputs. (1) highpass (2) full range (3) subwoofer. If I had it set to high pass and was feeding it a sub 80Hz signal I would get very little sound out of it, if any.

Hope this helps!
Mtrc808 10:27 AM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoDTM View Post
try turning the gain up?
When I turn the gain up, it does get a bit louder, but the clipping lights start coming on although it is audable, it is very very quiet. I've owned an 18 inch sub before and by comparison, it sounded like it was at 5% volume.
Mtrc808 10:29 AM 09-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonDeyholos View Post
First thought: What happens if you take your speakers off of full range? I know with my old Pioneer receiver if I had the front speakers set to large it automatically killed the signal to the sub. My fronts had to be set to small for the sub to get a signal.

Second thought: I use a peavey as my sub amp and it has 3 modes on the channel inputs. (1) highpass (2) full range (3) subwoofer. If I had it set to high pass and was feeding it a sub 80Hz signal I would get very little sound out of it, if any.

Hope this helps!
I will try when I get home in a few hours. However, I am pretty sure on my preamplifer (its just a stereo setup), I am able to pass speakers full range and have a sub out at the same time.

I will double check the other setting on the iNuke, but I curently am not using any high pass filters. Crossover is set by my preamp. I am not sure if I have a subwoofer setting, but I have not heard of one from my reading.
DevonDeyholos's Avatar DevonDeyholos 10:42 AM 09-04-2014
If you're getting the clip lights on then you're definitely getting a good signal to the Amp so it won’t be my first suggestion.

It sounds like you have the sub wired properly to 4ohm so should be no problem for the Inuke. I would try running each channel on its own and see what happens. Just do 1+,1- on your speakon connector and you can swap it back and forth between the 2 channels to see if one of them is dead or something.

Another thought, and maybe you have already tried this, but I just noticed in your description of the setup that you only said that you have channel A on the Inuke turned up. I'm not familiar with how bridging works but if you're using both channels wouldn’t you need to have B turned up to the same level? Maybe it's as simple as turning up channel B
Samps's Avatar Samps 11:01 AM 09-04-2014
In bridged mode the channel B knob does not need to be turned up.

Screen shots of each of the inuke tabs would help. When listening to music with a computer hooked up to the inuke, do you see the two output indicators (A&B) on the computer bouncing up and down in sync with the input indicator (A)?
Andy611's Avatar Andy611 11:08 AM 09-04-2014
put some leads on the speaker terminals. tap the leads to a 1.5 volt battery. should definitely get an audible boom boom boom with each tap
BassThatHz's Avatar BassThatHz 12:38 PM 09-04-2014
Post a video of the inukeDSP software reaching clipping on the inputs and outputs and of the woofer excursion.
Make sure everything is well lit and in focus so that we can see what you are getting.
rhodesj's Avatar rhodesj 08:08 PM 09-04-2014
You should see the yellow lights lit; they indicate level below clipping. The red light is what indicates clipping, so it sounds like you can turn the gain up more.
Mtrc808 10:20 PM 09-04-2014
Got stuck at work really late. Will trouble shoot with everyones suggestions tomorrow and post results. Thanks you.
LTD02's Avatar LTD02 07:59 AM 09-05-2014
with mains set to large, there may not be anything going to your sub with music.

not sure if the avr has something called "plus mode" or something like that which allows mains to run full range AND sends the bass under the crossover point to the sub.
splotten's Avatar splotten 08:33 AM 09-05-2014
Its only the top light that indicates clipping. The lower ones are just signal indicators.
Mtrc808 07:26 PM 09-08-2014
Thank you all again for your help. Just got back into town and decided to try replacing the iNuke since it seemed everything was set correctly. Also called Emotiva and was told that the pre-amp was also set correctly.

Plugged in the new iNuke and everything works perfectly. I don't know if I accidentally dialed in some setting that made it behave weird or if something was actually wrong with the first unit.

Lots of bass --> makes you wonder what the Ultimax 18 would do in a Marty cube.
Up
Mobile  Desktop