AVS Forum banner

Help with first sub build

1K views 34 replies 10 participants last post by  dandiele 
#1 ·
I currently have an SB12-nsd and I feel that it is lacking the wow factor a bit, so I am thinking about building my own. I have a false wall about 3 feet from the real wall, and could go as high as four feet and as wide as four feet. I don't know how close it can be to the AT screen, but I'm thinking my max would be 2'x4'x4'. That's all I know.

I was thinking that a ported box with an 18' driver would give me a more "immersive" sensation. So what do I do now? I need a driver and and amp... and I need to make a box (duh!). Can I just connect my amp to the pre-out and then run that to my sub as I do with the sb12? My room is 6'9" x 11' x 23' feet, semi dedicated. What do you guys suggest? I don't need blow away power, just a couple notches of improvement from the SB12; more fullness. I would like to keep the cost under $700... any suggestions? Is it possible to blow away the SB12 with this budget?

Thanks in advance... and for helping a noob.

Also, I am in Canada, which puts a dent in the budget right off the bat.

#2 ·
#4 ·
#6 ·
In a word..... Yes.
It's on a whole other level. Where in Canada are you located?

#13 · (Edited)
#15 ·
I read some of the marty builds, but this is the panacea! Just a few questions... does it matter where I put the driver relative to the port? Also, let's say I were to make two... what would be the best configuration for smooth bass response, keeping in mind that they would both have to be behind the false wall. Standing tall, side by side, stacked length wise, etc..

Thanks again guys

#16 ·
As far as how the driver is orientated in the box I don't "think" it matters. And how to configure the two enclosures is actually up for debate, I've had different experiences pointing the subs in different directions in my room. And smoothest response that's kinda trial and error in my books. Try posting up some pics of your room and the space you have to work with. It'll give a better idea to the guys here.

#20 ·
The inuke 3K will be sufficient for 2 marty style subs. If you have even the slightest inclination you will end up with more than 2 and the extra $100 or so won't break the bank, get the 6K.
I have 2 and a 3K and my house shakes. Due to WAF I won't be adding any more subs until we move at least ;)

#24 ·
On a vertical Marty the port goes back 20.25in and up 17.5in.
On a horizontal Marty the port is 37.75in long...
The port is 3in tall on both.

#26 ·
Yeah, why not. The orientation doesn't really matter as long as the dimensions Are the same.

#29 ·
I don't think so, I would check the full marty dimensions for the port and see if it goes all the way across and then back up or if its shorter than the length of the side it is on. If it is then it doesnt go all the back and up.

#31 ·
According to the picture referenced above it does look like they run up the back. I think there might be a typo on the amount of rails needed for the back, it should say (2) not (1). that would mean that the bottom rails 3"x20.25" would almost reach the back but it will be short about 3.25" which would account for the 3" wide rails going up "Back Rails", something like that I cannot see both the picture and write this at the same time on my phone but I think you get the idea.

#32 ·
For what its worth, I built a stonehenge box and used an SI 18" D2 wired in series running it with a nu3000dsp with the limit at 2600 watts and its awesome, the box can be found here http://www.diysoundgroup.com/ported-subwoofers-1/18-stonehenge.html you would need the panels and sub structure.

Its a beautiful design that assembles super easy, I have never done it before and I had mine done in about 1 1/2 hours with glue set time.

You would only need a few extra parts besides the amp, box and driver and your on your way! BTW definitely get the DSP model amp so you can use a UMM-6 or similar mic and EQ the sub using REW, its actually not very hard once you start playing with it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.