AVS Forum banner

Looking for a device that can be added to a sub plate amp to control phase/delay?

568 views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Bill Fitzmaurice 
#1 ·
I'm looking for something to control phase and/or delay on a sub plate amp. The amp is a dayton spa250 and it only has a 0/180 phase switch. My avr has a single distance setting for the sub out. I have two subs at different distances. The other amp is an inuke 3000 dsp which has full control over delay but only 0/180 phase.

The problem is the sub that is closer has the inuke. If the spa250 was closer I could set the distance in the avr to be correct for it and then add additional delay on the inuke for the other. Due to the room layout and size of the subs I can't flip flop them.

I'm having no luck matching the two subs with the mains. I can get either sub matched up perfect without the other but I'd like to use both. So I am looking for something that will allow me to integrate both subs. Minidsp should work or the dcx2496. But I'm wondering if there is something simpler to just add the adjustment I need without the other bells and whistles.

Any thoughts?

#4 ·
Are you sure you're not thinking about this wrong, or maybe made a typo? You would want to add delay to the closer sub in order to align it with the further one. The closer one has the inuke, which has delay available. Not seeing the problem.

Also if you are used to adjusting delay in "feet" on your AVR, don't forget that dialing in more "feet" is the equivalent of less delay relative to everything else.

#5 · (Edited)
when I run audyssey it sets the further sub to 17.8 feet. When I run it with the closer sub it sets 12.5 feet. So if I want the further sub to integrate I end up using 5.3 feet more distance setting than the closer sub needs. If the inuke could do negative delay that would work. If the minidsp can do 6ms that might be enough. I was hoping someone made a delay only box.

Can't swap the subs due to a strange room layout.

I can move the closer sub to a proper distance but then I loose spl.

#6 ·
when I run audyssey it sets the further sub to 17.8 feet. When I run it with the closer sub it sets 12.5 feet. So if I want the further sub to integrate I end up using 5.3 feet more distance setting than the closer sub needs..
The 4.8ms difference between the two is inaudible within the subwoofer pass band, so it really doesn't matter anyway. If that 4.8ms was above 200Hz then it would be of some concern.

#8 ·
Ok, I will give that a try thanks.

If Bill doesn't think it will matter anyhow I will have to try some other type of adjustment. There is definitely a mismatch when both subs are running. I guess it could be the room modes or ringing or odd decay or ???

#9 ·
There is definitely a mismatch when both subs are running. I guess it could be the room modes or ringing or odd decay or ???
What do your measurements show?

#11 ·
I haven't taken any real measurements yet. I just got it all setup this morning. Maybe tomorrow I'll break out the mic. Only have my trusty ol ears for now. If I let audyssey run with both subs it sets 12.5 which is what it sets with only the closer sub.

#14 ·
We'll I managed to get about 12 REW sweeps in before my wife texted me from the bedroom complaining. I was only able to work with the distance in the avr and the best I got was 18.5 feet. That doesn't jive with what audyssey was telling me but it does sound much better. I will try some tomorrow with some combos of delay in the inuke. Either way it looks like I might not need any additional equipment which is good. Strange thing is the worst response I got was with the 12.5 setting that audyssey gave me. In the past REW has always confirmed that audyssey set the best distance. This time is was way off.

I'm using a CSL Umik-1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.