Creating diy sound bar by placing three volt8s in the same enclosure (isolated in the - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SXRDork
post #1 of 16 Old 10-08-2014, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Creating diy sound bar by placing three volt8s in the same enclosure (isolated in the

I have an idea that I've been cooking up in my head and wanted to know if i'm overlooking anything. I currently have a definitive technologies ssa42 sound bar in my upstairs living room area that I find OK, but feel I can improve with a diy offering. Initially I was looking at just throwing some "full range" faital pro drivers in an enclosure, and going that route (still might just for a fun project) but thought why not go with a more proven kit and just do the same with them. My plan is to create a 5 foot wide enclosure, that is about 9 inches high, and 7 inches deep or so. I have a sheet 1/2 inch Baltic birch I have earmarked for it, and think I might embark on my first veneering adventure or paint it the color of the wall (serious WAF in this room) depending on what I and my wife agree upon. If I orient the coaxials as far away from each other as possible, I should be good right? I should be able to separate them from each other by about 15 inches or so.

Anyone see any issues with me doing this? Obviously I'd like to do discrete speakers, but I'm limited for that in this room. I have an anarchy th for the low end FYI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-08-2014, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Reserved (will turn this into a build thread if I decide to proceed)
post #3 of 16 Old 10-08-2014, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Reserved
post #4 of 16 Old 10-08-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 700
Should work just fine. I drew out an idea like that a little while ago, but figured on smaller coaxials to keep the size down.
post #5 of 16 Old 10-08-2014, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Cool, thanks Erich...I was thinking of waiting for the 6.5 inch coaxials, but with the cold weather approaching, I'm getting the itch to build. I'll probably be placing an order soon
post #6 of 16 Old 10-08-2014, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 39
i am also considering doing this very same thing with three of the volt 8s. The one question I had was: Do the drivers need to be recessed to work properly?
post #7 of 16 Old 10-08-2014, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samps View Post
i am also considering doing this very same thing with three of the volt 8s. The one question I had was: Do the drivers need to be recessed to work properly?
Hi Samps, I believe they were meant to be flush, however I don't imagine not having them flush mounted would affect the fr too much
post #8 of 16 Old 10-09-2014, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 172
I like the idea if building a DIY sound bar! It would be nice if you could wait for the 6.5" coax to become available as I believe that the 6.5" will be much better looking than three of the 8" drivers due to the additional size. It just wouldn't look right to have three 8" drivers in a sound bar, at least not in my personal opinion.

If you do end up using the Volt-8's, what do you plan to do for the crossover?
post #9 of 16 Old 10-09-2014, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post
I like the idea if building a DIY sound bar! It would be nice if you could wait for the 6.5" coax to become available as I believe that the 6.5" will be much better looking than three of the 8" drivers due to the additional size. It just wouldn't look right to have three 8" drivers in a sound bar, at least not in my personal opinion.

If you do end up using the Volt-8's, what do you plan to do for the crossover?
Hey Marty, I plan on leaving the crossovers as is and storing each kit in its own independent part of the enclosure, sealed off from the other channels....my aim is for a 3 channel system as getting true surround from a sound bar is limited at best. I'd really like to wait for the new smaller coaxials and still might as I'm not in a big rush, but just want a new fun project. Erich is super busy, so not sure when these coaxs will be available.... I'll definitely be an early adopter though if I can control my impatience
post #10 of 16 Old 10-09-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I'd love to see a DIY sound bar, but with a built in amp etc. The volt 8's would be way too big for my setup. That being said, I'm not sure of the range for the 6.5" driver and don't plan to use a sub. Probably not ideal for my setup, but sound like fun nonetheless.

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #11 of 16 Old 10-09-2014, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Yah, I would think you'd need a sub for 6.5 coaxial, although they should get some decent boundary reinforcement from the wall...I don't think the volt8s go too low especially in .67 cuft enclosures....they will better than what I have though in its place currently... Ssa42 only goes down to 100hz at best
post #12 of 16 Old 10-09-2014, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I've got some 6.5" subs from Tang Band that go down to 35 Hz in about .35 cu ft ported. Too big for a sound bar but getting closer. Maybe a "sound platform"?

SXRDork: SXRD is a technology. My name is Vann. Usernames are for life...
post #13 of 16 Old 10-09-2014, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
This is in case anyone is interested in the project...

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-35-cu-ft.html
joebuddyguy likes this.

SXRDork: SXRD is a technology. My name is Vann. Usernames are for life...
post #14 of 16 Unread 11-11-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
Should work just fine. I drew out an idea like that a little while ago, but figured on smaller coaxials to keep the size down.
Have you looked into this and further? I am quite interested.

What about something with the EOS6/DNA-150?

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #15 of 16 Unread 11-11-2014, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post
Have you looked into this and further? I am quite interested.

What about something with the EOS6/DNA-150?
Good idea, but I think I'm going to wait for the volt 6's....I thought I had more room than I actually do. I thought about trying to make one out of the fusion 6 kits, but wasn't sure if that would work out ok. The EOS 6 seems to have a more symmetrical waveguide that might work sideways at least?
post #16 of 16 Unread 11-11-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

crazy talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuddyguy View Post
Good idea, but I think I'm going to wait for the volt 6's....I thought I had more room than I actually do. I thought about trying to make one out of the fusion 6 kits, but wasn't sure if that would work out ok. The EOS 6 seems to have a more symmetrical waveguide that might work sideways at least?
I am interested in using 6's too, but was also on parts express this morning and checked out the 4" FaitalPRO's, which could be good to keep the height down. Then I thought about the low frequencies and was wondering if it would be possible to incorporate a type of tapped horn into the design with the port in the front?

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs