AVS Forum banner

Questions about my first DIY sub build

310 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Zapous 
#1 ·
Hello,

I've been lurking and look at stuff from behind the scenes. Im looking to price out and eventually build myself a sweet subwoofer. For my Music to Movie ratio I put it at about 60/40
First I'll tell you a little about what I'm working with.... Currently I have:

4x Polk TSI200
2x Polk Tsi400
1x Theater Solutions 15" Front Firing Subwoofer
All running off of my Onkyo HT-R592

I like my speakers as they are, but I find my bass department quite lacking... even with my tiny room which is a overwhelming ;) 10 feet by 10 feet! (800 Cu FT?)
I want my new setup to have headroom if/when I get a new place. Currently I would like the subwoofer to be no larger than 20" Wide, 24" High and 24" Long (although it can be longer if it it is less than my width restriction and vice versa.

For the woofer I was thinking of either one or two Dayton Audio Titanic 12" OR one or two fi q 12" Woofers. With the Dayton being the cheap of the two.... would the extra 150" be worth it for the FI woofer? I think if my space allows it a dual sealed or ported box would be awesome.

For amplification I was looking at a Behringer iNUKE NU3000DSP or maybe the Behringer iNUKE NU6000DSP.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

As for the... Less fun part of this is the budget... All this adds up to (estimated)

100$ for wood and glue (ruffly, hard to know this without know the enclosure)

180$ for the Dayton Titanic and 300$ for the FI. 360$ for the Dayton and 600$ for the FI if I get two.

and 400$ for the Behringer iNUKE NU6000DSP.

That leaves me at three estimates. (None of these include shipping so... It could very well be more expensive)

Low:
680$- One Dayton Titanic and the iNUKE NU6000DSP.
Medium:
800$- One FI and the iNUKE NU6000DSP.
Overkill High:
1,100$- Two FI and the iNuke NU600DSP.

For the medium and overkill budget they would have to wait for 6-10 months for money to loosen up but for the "Low" Budget I could swing in maybe a month or two...
yay more debating inside my head.
Of course this will all change based on your recommendations, so lets hear it your suggestions!

See less See more
#2 ·
For a G you can smash those options. A 3000dsp and a uxl 18 plus some mdf could shake your brains out in 800cf. Or go with the dayton ultimax 18 and 3000dsp and save some cash. In that small of a room 2000 watts and an 18 will satisfy you. The 6000dsp is really only going to help if you're using multiple subs since you can't bridge it.

#3 ·
800cf? How much of difference between the UXL 18 and the Dayton Ultimax? I see the UXL is 550$ and out of stock and the Dayton is 280$. Is the price difference worth it? And what should I do for the box? Port or sealed? How big? Any specific designs better than the others?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.