Measuring Amplifiers - Page 44 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 600Likes
post #1291 of 1330 Unread 01-26-2017, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgunning View Post
Also in that price range you could save a couple bucks and grab a Crest Pro Lite 3.0 DSP. I have a regular 3.0 (non DSP) to eventually run my DIY 18 sub and its fan does not run at idle. As for the XLS, I honestly don't know. IIRC @lukeamdman tested a 2500, maybe he can comment on the fans?
Have you been able to use it for sub duty yet? If yes how loud do the fans get after being pushed hard?

Sent from my T-Mobile device using Tapatalk

Krister
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 1330 Unread 01-26-2017, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
Almost no difference between xls gen 1 and 2.

This was confirmed by crown when the gen 2 was released.
My only issue with this is that Crown/Harman also confirmed a HPF at 20hz which we know isn't true.
post #1293 of 1330 Unread 01-26-2017, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post
I turned on the 2500 last night and after 20-25 minutes the fan was still idle.

I have seen it spin up before, but even then my ear had to be within an inch to hear it.
I saw your thread Budget System – Dual Sealed SI 18” D4 with Crown XLS-2500 about using the 2500 for sub duty but there weren't any comments on how it performed. Did it do well when pushed?

Krister

post #1294 of 1330 Unread 01-26-2017, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDean View Post
My only issue with this is that Crown/Harman also confirmed a HPF at 20hz which we know isn't true.
@lukeamdman debunked that here...

http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php

Krister
post #1295 of 1330 Unread 01-26-2017, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by krholmberg View Post
Have you been able to use it for sub duty yet? If yes how loud do the fans get after being pushed hard?

Not yet, and it will unfortunately be a few weeks before I can since the cabinet is still being built. I am also considering trading down to a iNuke 3000DSP since I rarely go over -20 MV and probably don't need the extra power. What I can tell you is the fan info on the Crest - it's a Jaro AD0812UB-A70GL. When I googled it the manufacturer I think is Adda. The fan specs are: 80x80x25mm, max 3400 RPM, 43.8 CFM, 40db/A noise. So it sounds like it will not exactly be quiet with the fan blowing full speed, but not super loud either? I was considering replacement options a few weeks ago - if you stay at or above 40 CFM, I think the quietest fan I found was ~30-32 dB. Hope that helps!
krholmberg likes this.
post #1296 of 1330 Unread 01-26-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:

Yea this is an interesting topic. I spoke with Crown's Field Support Team Lead, and he said all of their amps have a built-in roll-off and sent me the following graph. He said it's 6dB per octave, and based on the FR shown there, it's down about -0.4dB at 20Hz which would mean -1.7dB around 10Hz and -3dB around 7Hz. I'm not sure how closely this does or does not jive with what luke saw, I'm just repeating what the Crown dude told me, and apparently several people have gotten different stories from them which is a little odd. But he did say all of their amps have this same built-in roll-off circuitry, but can vary some based on component tolerance.

Edit: woops forgot the FR graph, here it is
krholmberg likes this.

Last edited by bpgunning; 01-26-2017 at 07:30 AM.
post #1297 of 1330 Unread 01-26-2017, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yea this is an interesting topic. I spoke with Crown's Field Support Team Lead, and he said all of their amps have a built-in roll-off and sent me the following graph. He said it's 6dB per octave, and based on the FR shown there, it's down about -0.4dB at 20Hz which would mean -1.7dB around 10Hz and -3dB around 7Hz. I'm not sure how closely this does or does not jive with what luke saw, I'm just repeating what the Crown dude told me, and apparently several people have gotten different stories from them which is a little odd. But he did say all of their amps have this same built-in roll-off circuitry, but can vary some based on component tolerance.
I've read inconsistent things, too. It really is bizarre.

Krister
post #1298 of 1330 Unread 01-26-2017, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
Never said I was pushing a burst to 10% THD. I asked if you knew what 1% and 10% THD even looked like. It's apparent that may not be the case.
Hey Rob, let's talk shop without the condescending snarky crap or name calling. If anyone goes back and compares my posts to yours on that level I think it's pretty clear who it is that's bitter.

Quote:
For anyone curious

This is 1%

This is 10%

NOPE. The 10% looks right but that is not 1% THD. I can tell by looking at it because I am very used to what 1% looks like, it is just when the visible clipping threshold starts. What you've posted there looks to be in bad shape.

1.01% THD. Only the top of the wave is distorting and only a little. If this same amount of distortion was evenly distributed to the top and the bottom of the wave, the clipping would barely be noticeable visually.

10% THD

10% THD 2010 burst:

Quote:
You're also looking at a perfect burst signal. When an amplifier is being pushed to its limits, the signal will not be perfect.
Then the amplifier isn't outputting clean power and by you going by RMS with clipped output you are actually over-rating these amplifiers.

Quote:
Were I to just use the peak value at the center, as opposed to the Vpp values divided by 2, the power rating would be higher than actually produced. Also, as the signal is slightly flat-topped on the center peak, that will actually raise the RMS value, so it kind of evens out the deficit on the bottom swing.

"Kind of evens out the deficit on the bottom swing"?! Where's your math on that? What does that even mean? I see a waveform of a clipped amp output. Why would you post clipped amp data? This is something that is used all the time to over-inflate specs in the industry. I know when I purchase an amp I certainly don't aim to use it in my system to output clipped signals.

Quote:
I generally push the cea-2010 signal enough to clip the lower and the upper when reporting max burst numbers.
OK, so you've just described this:

That would be like taking measurements from this in a steady state sine:

That would come to these measurements. By your way of figuring power into your 4.4ohm load using RMS that would come to 31.65W average power.

Vs. my way of measuring clean output on bottom which is the maximum clean output. Still using RMS that would get us 26.02W of average power.

31.65W into clipping vs. 26.02W clean is .85dB difference. That's the same as 3,165W vs. 2,602W in dB just to gain some perspective. This is exactly how RMS values are used to inflate specs and is another reason why I don't like RMS values for rating amplifier power. So why would you ever use a distorted waveform and RMS?!

Well I think I understand why you're doing it, -to get the highest peaks out of the amp because you're using peak to peak for bursts. But the waveform is distorted and you can't use peak to peak to claim RMS, It will never be accurate! If you want the highest number out of the burst measurements, just use my method of the positive peak which will define the clipping point or use your method of peak to peak and be happy with lower figures but don't claim accurate RMS figures and don't output dirty signal and claim max clean output. Or don't, I don't really care what methods you use in the end and it seems that neither does anyone who follows this thread. Run it up to 20% distortion cause there are a lot of forum members who enjoy doing that with their systems, just don't come at me with the whole you're tricking people because you're a vindictive, bitter, ignorant moron, who peddles crap and needs to grow up just because I use peak power because it relates to the real world more than RMS.
post #1299 of 1330 Unread 01-26-2017, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 2328 Post(s)
Liked: 2126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreds View Post
Hey Rob, let's talk shop without the condescending snarky crap or name calling. If anyone goes back and compares my posts to yours on that level I think it's pretty clear who it is that's bitter.

NOPE. The 10% looks right but that is not 1% THD. I can tell by looking at it because I am very used to what 1% looks like, it is just when the visible clipping threshold starts. What you've posted there looks to be in bad shape.

1.01% THD. Only the top of the wave is distorting and only a little. If this same amount of distortion was evenly distributed to the top and the bottom of the wave, the clipping would barely be noticeable visually.
I mean, I saved the RTA output from that measurement... it's technically 1.25%

Quote:
10% THD

10% THD 2010 burst:

You're almost perfectly flat topping these waves, which is not the same as the signals I posted.

Quote:

Then the amplifier isn't outputting clean power and by you going by RMS with clipped output you are actually over-rating these amplifiers.

"Kind of evens out the deficit on the bottom swing"?! Where's your math on that? What does that even mean? I see a waveform of a clipped amp output. Why would you post clipped amp data? This is something that is used all the time to over-inflate specs in the industry. I know when I purchase an amp I certainly don't aim to use it in my system to output clipped signals.
I said I'll actually measure the differences shortly. Then we'll see, not like it really matters, as this is how the test is defined and carried out.

Quote:

OK, so you've just described this:

No, it isn't. I've even posted images of the waveforms I've described. Again, you're completely ignoring it, posting wavesforms that are more heavily clipped, and acting like it's something I'm doing since it suits your argument. Stop wasting time with this rubbish if you want to have an actual productive discussion.

Quote:

That would be like taking measurements from this in a steady state sine:

That would come to these measurements. By your way of figuring power into your 4.4ohm load using RMS that would come to 31.65W average power.

Vs. my way of measuring clean output on bottom which is the maximum clean output. Still using RMS that would get us 26.02W of average power.

31.65W into clipping vs. 26.02W clean is .85dB difference. That's the same as 3,165W vs. 2,602W in dB just to gain some perspective. This is exactly how RMS values are used to inflate specs and is another reason why I don't like RMS values for rating amplifier power. So why would you ever use a distorted waveform and RMS?!
Again, more nonsense. I'm not using signals that are clipped like that. Furthermore, I'm not using the RMS value from the scope for my burst tests, I'm using the p-p numbers, which you know. If I was using the ACTUAL RMS calculated value, it would be higher as the top of the wave is compressed. Please try to keep your arguments straight, and also note that the difference in p-p values between those tests is 0.2v.

Quote:
Well I think I understand why you're doing it, -to get the highest peaks out of the amp because you're using peak to peak for bursts. But the waveform is distorted and you can't use peak to peak to claim RMS, It will never be accurate! If you want the highest number out of the burst measurements, just use my method of the positive peak which will define the clipping point or use your method of peak to peak and be happy with lower figures but don't claim accurate RMS figures and don't output dirty signal and claim max clean output.
I consider the waveforms I use clean For max output levels. When you have distortion from subwoofers that will be orders of magnitude higher, remaining under 1% THD for these tests is more than adequate. It's often a good deal less than 1%.

Again, this is an example of a burst signal I use for these tests.

You can see the wattage calculated by Vpp should be very close to Vrms. I'll actually set this up, recreate, measure, and compare the differences once I have a few minutes.

You're saying I'm pushing it too hard, which would overrate the power, then you're saying I'm underrating the power... which is it?

Quote:
If you want the highest number out of the burst measurements, just use my method of the positive peak which will define the clipping point or use your method of peak to peak and be happy with lower figures but don't claim accurate RMS figures and don't output dirty signal and claim max clean output. Or don't, I don't really care what methods you use in the end and it seems that neither does anyone who follows this thread. Run it up to 20% distortion cause there are a lot of forum members who enjoy doing that with their systems, just don't come at me with the whole you're tricking people because you're a vindictive, bitter, ignorant moron, who peddles crap and needs to grow up just because I use peak power because it relates to the real world more than RMS.

Hey, this remains uncorrected. Pointing it out again. Note the peak power rating (8kw) and then the duration. Doesn't work that way. if you're specifying an interval, power is defined as Vrms^2 / r, not Vpp. Nowhere is "peak" wattage specified for the 16kw claims either. It's misleading, just like most of what you're still posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass View Post
We've recently measured the burst capability of the A-14K amp with the latest tweaks at around 16KW into a dummy load of 5.23 ohms and 8KW for 2 seconds sustained into the same load. The system was designed to reproduce reference level output across the entire SW bandwidth in-room when playing dynamic soundtrack source, and especially those that are transient in nature.

Last edited by notnyt; 01-26-2017 at 09:03 PM.
post #1300 of 1330 Unread 01-26-2017, 09:09 PM

Hey Rob what don't you understand about this?

I posted this right after the post quote from Bosso in that thread. So you're telling me you still don't completely understand the data here, I've walked you through it a lot of times now and why I use peak values.
post #1301 of 1330 Unread 01-26-2017, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey Rob what don't you understand about this?

I posted this right after the post quote from Bosso in that thread. So you're telling me you still don't completely understand the data here, I've walked you through it a lot of times now and why I use peak values.

You clearly don't. You're specifying power. Power is work over time, as soon as you specify a duration, you cannot say it produced 8kw for 2 seconds, it didn't. It produced about 4800w for about a second, then dropped down to around 3900w.

Quote:
You should understand that the vast majority of folks around here don't own oscilloscopes let along 4 channel digital ones. They might as well be looking at the sun when you post something like this.

Last edited by notnyt; 01-26-2017 at 11:23 PM.
post #1302 of 1330 Unread 01-26-2017, 09:28 PM

I think @notnyt understands perfectly fine. Peak power is a faulty concept meant to advertise bigger numbers so people go "ooh, ahhh". It is defined as the instantaneous power, i.e. for that infinitesimally small period of time where the sine wave peaks. Then going on to quote the "peak power" as continuous is completely non-physical - that would be DC power, not a sine wave. If you are quoting continuous power using a sine wave you have to quote average, i.e. using RMS voltage. Even the FTC says so in their amplifier rule - "sine wave continuous average power output"
notnyt likes this.

Last edited by bpgunning; 01-26-2017 at 09:39 PM.
post #1303 of 1330 Unread 01-26-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
You clearly don't. You're specifying power. Power is work over time, as soon as you specify a duration, you cannot say it produced 8kw for 2 seconds, it didn't. It produced about 4800w for about a second, then dropped down to around 3900w.
You don't get to pretend that peak power doesn't exist. It did produce 8kWpk for 2 seconds when starting off at a lower voltage. The spin stories and pretending not to understand are getting pretty old. Meanwhile you completely ignore my data that shows how your method of burst testing has nothing to do with RMS power. Stick your head in the sand then after all, what's it matter if your measurements are as accurate as possible? I guess you're not a scientist either. Well I don't sweat it, pioneers like Don Keele will understand my data just fine.
post #1304 of 1330 Unread 01-26-2017, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You don't get to pretend that peak power doesn't exist. It did produce 8kWpk for 2 seconds when starting off at a lower voltage. The spin stories and pretending not to understand are getting pretty old. Meanwhile you completely ignore my data that shows how your method of burst testing has nothing to do with RMS power. Stick your head in the sand then after all, what's it matter if your measurements are as accurate as possible? I guess you're not a scientist either. Well I don't sweat it, pioneers like Don Keele will understand my data just fine.

Sticking my head in the sand? After I said I'd actually do measured comparisons? You continue to try to warp reality to suit your argument.

The statement was "8kw for 2 seconds", not "a signal that was generating instantaneous 8kw power peaks for 2 seconds". Even if it was, it would still be misleading bs. Most reading would not understand the difference. This is exactly why the FTC stepped in.

And again, a quote from and industry leader, Brian Oppegaard, the previous director of engineering at QSC and now the owner of SpeakerPower...

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakerpower
Instantaneous power, peak power etc are inappropriate and misleading IMHO and abused by those whose job it is to mislead.

Last edited by notnyt; 01-26-2017 at 11:53 PM.
post #1305 of 1330 Unread 01-27-2017, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:

Yes. Luke also posted it in the Crown thread here.

Quote:

Edit: woops forgot the FR graph, here it is
The thread above and stuff like this from Crown don't agree. That's my point...how much can we trust Crowns "engineers" when we see contradictory results from independent testing.

As far as the other discussion going on right now, I don't really care which is the 100% correct testing method. I just care that the testing @notnyt is performing is consistent so I can compare the amps he's tested. I'm an analyst by profession so I care more about consistency than absolute accuracy.
post #1306 of 1330 Unread 01-27-2017, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 277
I wonder if the Crown thing is at least partially a different in definition? After all, +/- 3dB is often used for audio components to define "flat." I could see a Crown CSR or whatever looking at the spec sheet and saying "it's flat to 7Hz" or even thinking there simply isn't an intentional rolloff (many other amps are no better).

post #1307 of 1330 Unread 03-20-2017, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 952
@notnyt Have you ever had a Yamaha P7000S amp on your bench? I'm wondering if someone can point me to some useful test results on them.
post #1308 of 1330 Unread 03-20-2017, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
@notnyt Have you ever had a Yamaha P7000S amp on your bench? I'm wondering if someone can point me to some useful test results on them.
Nope, they're claiming 3200w into bridged 4 ohm. I can test one if you want to arrange shipping. I'm going to try to get this IPR2 done this week.
post #1309 of 1330 Unread 03-20-2017, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 952
Quote:
Nope, they're claiming 3200w into bridged 4 ohm. I can test one if you want to arrange shipping. I'm going to try to get this IPR2 done this week.
I may take you up on that at some point. I picked up 2 of them to run 8- SI HT18's in the dedicated room that I'll be building in the house we are getting ready to move into. I've read several good reviews about the Yamahas and they are supposed to run without the fan doing much most of the time, so pretty silently, I'm hoping.
post #1310 of 1330 Unread 03-20-2017, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsdig View Post
I may take you up on that at some point. I picked up 2 of them to run 8- SI HT18's in the dedicated room that I'll be building in the house we are getting ready to move into. I've read several good reviews about the Yamahas and they are supposed to run without the fan doing much most of the time, so pretty silently, I'm hoping.
I'll PM you my email address. If you want just shoot me an email and we can arrange it.
post #1311 of 1330 Unread 03-20-2017, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Did you ever finish testing the NU3000DSP? I don't remember seeing the results posted.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
post #1312 of 1330 Unread 03-20-2017, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
Did you ever finish testing the NU3000DSP? I don't remember seeing the results posted.
Didn't do a full test, but I posted some quick 40hz tests previously. It will output about 1600w total, but if you sustain that, it goes into protect in a few seconds. No burst capabilities beyond that at 40hz.
post #1313 of 1330 Unread Yesterday, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
@dtsdig , I wouldn't send my amplifier to notnyt unless you can live without it for 4 months. That's about how long the IPR2 has been in his possession. Those pesky stones you know.
post #1314 of 1330 Unread Yesterday, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydehopper View Post
@dtsdig , I wouldn't send my amplifier to notnyt unless you can live without it for 4 months. That's about how long the IPR2 has been in his possession. Those pesky stones you know.
Rofl, hilarious you created an account just to post this. Good job.

First, I posted the important numbers from the ipr2 very shortly after receiving it.

Second, as the owner of the amp told me he's in no rush to have it back, it hasn't been a priority. Had he requested it back at any time, it would go out the next day.

Good on you to mock my health issues, though.
post #1315 of 1330 Unread Yesterday, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1631 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
What were the numbers from the peavey? I think it was said 2400 watts vs the Inuke 6000's 1600? I am not sure if that 1.5 dB difference would justify $700 in price.

Marantz 7702 Atmos
3 Inuke NU4-6000 amps for all speakers.
Speakers- 7 Behringer B215XL's, 4 212xl's for ceiling speakers.
Front subs 12 SI 18ht ported SLLT powered by Inuke 6000
Rear subs 2 XXX ported SLLT powered by IPR2-7500.
post #1316 of 1330 Unread Yesterday, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydehopper View Post
Not trying to be a jerk but Notnyt does this as a hobby/service free of charge for all of us that curious about any amp and don't have the means to test them. Just saying.
bpgunning and notnyt like this.
post #1317 of 1330 Unread Yesterday, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
What were the numbers from the peavey? I think it was said 2400 watts vs the Inuke 6000's 1600? I am not sure if that 1.5 dB difference would justify $700 in price.
The nu6000 can sustain 2400w and burst to like 3000w at 40hz.

The ipr2 7500:

It will burst 3500w x2 @ 50hz into 2.3 ohms.

It will sustain 2500w total for about 10 seconds before tripping its breaker

It will sustain 4200w total for about 5 seconds before tripping its breaker

Things I noted:

The fans don't spin up when its under load. Seems to be a design flaw. After clearing the load, the fans then ramp up.

They don't have any real electronic protection, just a breaker at the back of the amp. I generally see this trip, then see some possible protection in the form of muting after I turn it back on. I think I saw it mute once without tripping the breaker, but I just happened to cut the signal right before the breaker tripped.

The outputs are already bridged, so no more bridging is possible.

While not a bad amp, I'd still go for a clone at about the same price, they perform better into higher impedance loads, sustain more power, have more burst potential, can be bridged, and don't shutdown as easily. On the flip side, this smokes the inuke 6000's, and it can drive a 2 ohm load and actually has some burst potential.

This amp can legit burst 7500w into 2 ohm loads.
Luke Kamp likes this.
post #1318 of 1330 Unread Yesterday, 11:48 AM

How about the 2 channel numbers for the enhanced clone?

Marantz 7702 Atmos
post #1319 of 1330 Unread Yesterday, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
How about the 2 channel numbers for the enhanced clone?
post 1139
post #1320 of 1330 Unread Yesterday, 01:02 PM

Quote:

Thank you, and for all the work!
notnyt likes this.

Marantz 7702 Atmos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs