AVS Forum banner

So much work.... and it doesn't work! :(

8K views 239 replies 36 participants last post by  Pain Infliction 
#1 · (Edited)
So much time spent.... and it doesn't work! :(

Hello all,

So as many of you have seen in my posts, I've struggled and worked my tail off to build my first minimarty. I went ahead and connected everything up and.... NOTHING.

So, let me clarify - I have a RCA going from the sub out on my receiver, sub is selected on and is at a 80hz, RCA goes to the inuke, which then has a connector end that is RCA to speakon. That connects into channel A of the inuke. To note, you do not twist the connector into place on the input, correct?

Then I have a speakon going from the channel A output (which is twisted in) and goes to my sub connection, which is also twisted in place. +1 and +2 on the connector inside with 12 gauge speaker cable. Speaker cable runs to my ultimax 18, positive on one side and negative on the other. Then I have a wire going from the two remaining + and - terminals to bridge.

I used the app to configure the amp, where it told me it was connected to the amp. Inuke is set to bridge mode and I have the HPF at 20hz. When running, it does not show any movement on the power lights or clip light. Saved the settings. Gains are set to 12 o'clock.

So what else can I do? What else to check. I am pretty certain everything is connected snug inside the box. I will certainly open it up if I must, but I'd rather check on the external factors first. The fact that the power/clipping light isn't lighting makes me feel it is more related to the inuke or RCA to Speakon connection, but you tell me.

Thank you so much for your help. Really let down right now so I hope to get this thing going.

Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello all,

So as many of you have seen in my posts, I've struggled and worked my tail off to build my first minimarty. I went ahead and connected everything up and.... NOTHING.

So, let me clarify - I have a RCA going from the sub out on my receiver, sub is selected on and is at a 80hz, RCA goes to the inuke, which then has a connector end that is RCA to speakon. That connects into channel A of the inuke. To note, you do not twist the connector into place on the input, correct?

Then I have a speakon going from the channel A output (which is twisted in) and goes to my sub connection, which is also twisted in place. +1 and +2 on the connector inside with 12 gauge speaker cable. Speaker cable runs to my ultimax 18, positive on one side and negative on the other. Then I have a wire going from the two remaining + and - terminals to bridge.

I used the app to configure the amp, where it told me it was connected to the amp. Inuke is set to bridge mode and I have the HPF at 20hz. When running, it does not show any movement on the power lights or clip light. Saved the settings. Gains are set to 12 o'clock.

So what else can I do? What else to check. I am pretty certain everything is connected snug inside the box. I will certainly open it up if I must, but I'd rather check on the external factors first. The fact that the power/clipping light isn't lighting makes me feel it is more related to the inuke or RCA to Speakon connection, but you tell me.

Thank you so much for your help. Really let down right now so I hope to get this thing going.

Mike
Shouldn't that be +1 -1 ?

#3 ·
Re' "To note, you do not twist the connector into place on the input, correct?"

Right! In fact, the input connectors don't twist. The output connectors are different.and do twist...

If no movement on the lights, then I would suspect the input connections rather than the output connections. Or maybe the configuration of the iNuke in its app. I don't have the same amp so I'm guessing but if its like mine, then to use bridge mode, you probably need to set the amp to mono and then be sure you are using the correct input. I recall having the same problem (no output) when I first set up my XTI-2000 and I had just gotten one of the settings wrong in its app. Ultimately, you need to try them all or rather keep trying until it works...

Did you make your own cables? How did you verify you wired them correctly?

It the amp setup checks out, try some other source, perhaps just left or right pre-out from your receiver and see if that at least makes the lights move.
Before you open up your sub, try some other speaker but you don't need to do that until you get the lights to move, so to speak (no pun intended)

Good luck!

#4 ·
Check the speak on - sounds like a bad connection somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
My gut says its the RCA to speak on connector or the amp. The amp just shows a logo saying inuke nu3000dsp. I don't have another sub to test.

@chalugadp I can test that but shouldn't the amp be showing power/clip movement even without a sub plugged in?

#9 · (Edited)
RCA goes to the inuke, which then has a connector end that is RCA to speakon. That connects into channel A of the inuke. To note, you do not twist the connector into place on the input, correct?

:confused:

RCA to Speakon? :eek:

You should be using an RCA to 1/4" TRS or XLR for the input. Speakon connectors are only for the amplifier outputs.

If using a XLR connector it does not twist when inserted, a 1/4" TRS will spin but you can think of that like a big headphone 3.5mm/ 1/8" connector.

#11 ·
:confused:

RCA to Speakon? :eek:

You should be using an RCA to 1/4" TRS or XLR for the input. Speakon connectors are only for the outputs.

If using a XLR connector it does not twist when inserted, a 1/4" TRS will spin but you can think of that like a big headphone 3.5mm/1/8" connector.

Sorry it is a RCA to XLR3M adapter. Is that correct?

#13 ·
Did you have a sub connected to this receiver before? Is the sub output on? I know on some receivers like my Yamaha you have to select the subwoofer and turn it on. Also if the front speakers are set large then it will not send much to the subwoofer. Have you checked all these settings on the receiver?

#18 ·
Yes I had a sub previously, but I sold it. Receiver settings are definitely correct.

#14 ·
Are you using a speakon connector on the subwoofer? If so do you have the same pins wired on the subwoofer cable side connector as you do on the subwoofer speakon terminal? (just running though things here).

Can you untwist the cable's speakon connector at the amp side and using a AA battery and some short strips of wire connect the battery to the 1+, 2+ terminals to check if the subwoofer responds to that signal? If it does this will verify everything up to that point is working correctly and that the problem lies with either the amp or input signal.

#17 ·
That is a great idea, take the speakon connector apart at the amplifier end and connect a small battery to it. Positive wire to positive side of the battery and negative to negative. You should see your sub move a little. I have even done it with a 12v battery from a cordless. That way you know your sub end is correct.

#27 ·
Yes, the input and output was showing around 30db when playing a test tone through my MCACC on my receiver. So I really should open up and double check the connections in the sub? Start with at the speakon connector?

Thanks everyone with your input so far. FYI, I am off to bed, but we can continue this tomorrow. I REALLY appreciate everyone helping me out here.

#23 ·
Those cables should have four wires connected to all 4 terminals, as long as you have the internal connections on your speakon terminal at the subwoofers wired up to pins 1+ (Positive to subwoofer driver) and 2+ (negative to subwoofer driver) then you should be good.

That is how I have it.

#28 ·
Really??? That just seems dumb. I will try right now before I doze off.

This post has been deleted
#35 ·
Make sure you don't have the voice coils wired out of phase or you will overheat the coils and melt the sub in just a few seconds; the side effect of that is that the sub sounds near silent but yet is running at 400degrees above room temp! That's the worst-case scenario.

Just post screenshots of all the inuke software screens. It should become apparent why it is so quiet, as the input and output levels will be way down.

#37 ·
Make sure you don't have the voice coils wired out of phase or you will overheat the coils and melt the sub in just a few seconds; the side effect of that is that the sub sounds near silent but yet is running at 400degrees above room temp! That's the worst-case scenario.

Just post screenshots of all the inuke software screens. It should become apparent why it is so quiet, as the input and output levels will be way down.
Attached are the screenshots from the inuke, and a basic drawing of the sub config inside the box. I did verify that my MCACC is reset so everything is good there.

Otherwise, could I have crossed something when rewiring the speakon cable? It was late so maybe I did something stupid?

Thanks again!

Attachments

#36 ·
I'll suggest you pull the panel-mount off and rewire it as +1 and -1. This is the standard scheme, so someone else could use the sub without needing to rewire anything. Plus, it's just easier to keep track of where you've deviated when you deviate less often.

Do your bridged wiring mod in the cable-mount at the amp and label that end "AMP".

Believe me, it's easier to have the panel-mounts on the cabs all wired the same when you start schlepping them around the room and you lose track of which one was where, when you started. You can label them, but honestly, it's just easier when they're all the same. You can switch amps and cabling without having to wonder if the subs are wired right.

TBH, I'd also take out the driver and make sure you've wired it properly. Your description is a bit ambiguous.

Speaker cable runs to my ultimax 18, positive on one side and negative on the other. Then I have a wire going from the two remaining + and - terminals to bridge.
Do you mean, positive cable to the positive terminal of ONE voice-coil and the negative cable to the negative terminal of the OTHER voice-coil? I hope you didn't connect both pos and neg to one coil and short the other coil. Hey, it could happen. :smile:

It won't have the dire consequences of BTH's scenario, but you should make sure it's right, before you give it the beans.

Reactions: baniels
#38 ·
I don't remember if when they are highlighted it actually means they are on but I would turn off the DEQ ones. Also your peak limiter is not showing anything. I know on mine it shows 4ohms and then I moved the top dial to 1250 I think or something like that. Not home so I can't check. Try those and see if anything changes.

#40 · (Edited)
Using a pioneer vsx-1120. Speakers are set to small and sub is set to yes. I did reset my MCACC values, but if anything, that would raise the volume of the sub as the distances and levels were quite a bit higher.

I don't think I have the Dynamic EQ enabled.

#42 ·
Pretty sure I did that. If you look at the top of the window, it says connected.

#45 ·
OK, clicked connect and it disconnected the amp. At the top of the window it also changes to "Not Connected".

#44 ·
Haha no problem. I will do it as soon as I get home in a few hours.

#47 ·
What else can I check???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.