Have two Fusion-8s, next step? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By notnyt

post #1 of 18 Old 12-11-2014, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Have two Fusion-8s, next step?

Hey guys,

I am looking for some wisdom on where to go next. I have two Fusion 8's powered off a Denon 1712 for my L/R. I also have a PowerSoundAudio XV15 sub. I should have built that, but hadn't discovered DIY at that time. I am wondering where I should go next. My living room is roughly 12x22x9, so 2400 cuft, but it has a hallway that opens to the rest of the house.

(I have an Emotiva 2ch amp, but I don't think I'll need that given the sensitivity of these speakers plus the lack of pre-outs on the Denon.)

I think the clearest option is to purchase 3 more Fusion 8's for Center and back speakers, but thought I would ask what people would do in my position. I'd like to build some version of the MartyCube, but have two reservations: One, I have no idea how it would integrate with my PSA sub (which I think is roughly equal to the mini-marty?) and two, I currently rent where I live so relocation of speakers unfortunately has to be somewhat considered.

My main questions:
1 - Volts or Fusion 8s for rears?
2 - Should I go Fusion 12s for fronts and use existing 8s for rears? Would the main reason for doing this be loudness/sensitivity as opposed to "better sound"? (Or am I just trying to spend more money?)
3 - Should I look into using REW?

When I watch movies, I'll have the Denon at around -7dB, which seems to be a little bit louder than I usually see. I'm not sure if that's because I haven't lost my hearing yet or if I've screwed something up in my setup.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated. I've never really posted, but I've gleaned so much information from this forum I can't say thanks enough!

Danny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-11-2014, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I would suggest first listening to the 8's and determine if they are what your ears need. For that size room the 8's could work just fine. The power you would be sending to theose speakers wont change much and getting a larger model would only give you a few DB extra of sensitivity. If you like how the 8's sound then go with more, if you feel you need a bit more dynamics get a larger ones and put the 8's to the rears.

Those 8 will play pretty loud, and coupled with a nice sub you should be fine IMO. If it was me I would probably make a center to match and some rears as you though.

I would build more subs as who doesn't love more bass? You can integrate the PSA easily, for delays just make the the furthest from your LP so it wouldn't need a delay. You should also get a MINI DSP that would give you all the flexibility you needed to integrate it. Also with the minidsp you could opt to not get a DSP amp and save a few extra bucks there.

DIY is a sickness. Its hard to stop once you start.
post #3 of 18 Old 12-11-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1618 Post(s)
Liked: 1383
I find for rears that coaxial speakers are much better then waveguide for ambient noises. I would definitely add another sub or two. Having Nearfield sub changes the whole bass experience. Much more tactile especially at lower spl. A MiniMarty with ultimax would compliment your existing sub nicely.
post #4 of 18 Old 12-11-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 1501
Upgrade your fronts and use fusion 8 for rears

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #5 of 18 Old 12-11-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclapps View Post
I also have a PowerSoundAudio XV15 sub. I should have built that, but hadn't discovered DIY at that time. I am wondering where I should go next.
Do you ever hear any chuffing noises from that subwoofer? It looks like an Eminence Lab-15 with a 4" Precision Port. That seems like a small port diameter for a 15" woofer.

post #6 of 18 Old 12-11-2014, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Erich, that's what my research led me to believe as well (wrt the driver). I want to say that I've heard some port noise, but nothing consistent that I can easily recall. Obviously, given that my space is open to the rest of the house, it has trouble providing the impact that I'd like.
post #7 of 18 Old 12-11-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
Do you ever hear any chuffing noises from that subwoofer? It looks like an Eminence Lab-15 with a 4" Precision Port. That seems like a small port diameter for a 15" woofer.
I don't have anything nice to say about PSA or the guy who runs it, so I'm not going to comment.
post #8 of 18 Old 12-11-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well the Fusion 4 went on before the PSA and back to back the Fusion 4 sounded better. Perhaps not as loud, but better.
post #9 of 18 Old 12-11-2014, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mfusick, I have the PSA 15" subwoofer. That's not what you are referring to, correct?
post #10 of 18 Old 12-11-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nope. Not the sub. Never heard one. I thought I was in the other thread when I said that. I must be getting old. It made more sense in my head when I typed it. Lol.
post #11 of 18 Old 12-11-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
I just helped a friend and designed a dual lab15 build using the ebay 4 ohm woofers. This is off topic, but this is a pic and you can see the ports. And this was for a 30hz tune

post #12 of 18 Old 12-11-2014, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Back on topic... you should invest in a umik1 from csl and get going with REW. Then maybe get some volts for surrounds or add some more subs =]
Mfusick likes this.
post #13 of 18 Old 12-11-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I like big ports. They are like boobs. Bigger is better generally (until you reach the point of complete excess)

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #14 of 18 Old 12-11-2014, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Those ports are quite a bit bigger than the one on the back of my sub! In hindsight, I wish I did it differently, but can't change that now. I'd like to add a minimarty and really enjoy movies. Maybe an ultimax 18 and an inuke3000 or 6000 (unsure). Should I get a DSP version or, since I have the psa sub, get a minidsp to EQ that way?

If I'm not running my receiver at reference, is there much audible difference between a fusion 8 and a 12? Would a twelve provide more "midbass"? I run the eights crossed at 100hz.

Looks like I need to figure out between fusion 12s for fronts or 8s as fronts and volts for rears.

Thanks again guys, it helps to see things from others' perspectives.
post #15 of 18 Old 12-11-2014, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1618 Post(s)
Liked: 1383
Could you get inuke6000 dsp and run psa sub off off inuke and bypass the psa plate amp ? Just throwing it out there. Then eq easy . Then more power to lab 15 sub in psa.
post #16 of 18 Old 12-11-2014, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Those ports are quite a bit bigger than the one on the back of my sub! In hindsight, I wish I did it differently, but can't change that now. I'd like to add a minimarty and really enjoy movies. Maybe an ultimax 18 and an inuke3000 or 6000 (unsure). Should I get a DSP version or, since I have the psa sub, get a minidsp to EQ that way?

If I'm not running my receiver at reference, is there much audible difference between a fusion 8 and a 12? Would a twelve provide more "midbass"? I run the eights crossed at 100hz.

Looks like I need to figure out between fusion 12s for fronts or 8s as fronts and volts for rears.

Thanks again guys, it helps to see things from others' perspectives.
If you're running a sub and crossing over, I'd likely go with the 10s or the 15s. Put the extra money towards subwoofage and go 10s lol
post #17 of 18 Old 12-11-2014, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post
Could you get inuke6000 dsp and run psa sub off off inuke and bypass the psa plate amp ? Just throwing it out there. Then eq easy . Then more power to lab 15 sub in psa.
I haven't learned enough from the martysub thread to even understand how to hook up the iNuke, so I'd have to research more to see if this is possible. I'm assuming it would involve me backing the existing plate amp off and hooking directly to the speaker terminals?

Quote:
If you're running a sub and crossing over, I'd likely go with the 10s or the 15s. Put the extra money towards subwoofage and go 10s lol
So you think 10s for the front, 8s for the rear eh? Hadn't thought of that! Part of me is curious to hear the volts as surrounds, but then if I used anything other than the 8s for the fronts, I'd have to find a home for them. Not a bad problem to have. I used them temporarily for computer speakers. Pretty damn loud in the nearfield!
post #18 of 18 Old 12-11-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I haven't learned enough from the martysub thread to even understand how to hook up the iNuke, so I'd have to research more to see if this is possible. I'm assuming it would involve me backing the existing plate amp off and hooking directly to the speaker terminals?

So you think 10s for the front, 8s for the rear eh? Hadn't thought of that! Part of me is curious to hear the volts as surrounds, but then if I used anything other than the 8s for the fronts, I'd have to find a home for them. Not a bad problem to have. I used them temporarily for computer speakers. Pretty damn loud in the nearfield!

I don't think you'd have any issues with the 8s as rears. You could always use them elsewhere if you wanted to try something else or something lower profile...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page