Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By More is Better

post #1 of 10 Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Any experience with FPS Planars?

I'm currently looking to build an aesthetically-pleasing surround-sound system. My system is mostly for listening to music recorded in surround-sound, where 5 full-range speakers are required.

On Parts Express, I came across a set of wide frequency-range planars manufactured by FPS.

For example, Parts express carries a "FPS 0212M7R1 OEM 1-9/16" x 6-1/4" Flat Panel MCMA Planar Speaker 6 Ohm 15W"

Their small depth gives me a lot of flexibility with keeping my system aesthetically-pleasing, and wide frequency range is appealing because it allows for a simple speaker design. Furthermore, their cost is also appealing; as a 5 or 7 channel system can quickly become expensive.

Unfortunately, I can not find any review or mention of these parts.

Has anyone used FPS planar speakers before? How do they perform? Will the above-linked speaker need a tweeter? Should it be crossed-over with a mid-range or woofer? Will it work well in surrounds, that might be closer to my ears than the front speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Link for those at home.
http://www.parts-express.com/fps-021...m-15w--292-364

The sensitivity is very low, at 82 dB/0.5m. Double the distance to 1m (standard measuring point) drops it by 6 dB, so you're looking at 76 dB/1m. Compare to a different planar transducer that measures at 92 dB/1m.

Would you be using these in an array? By themselves? I think I would avoid the FPS ones for either option.
post #3 of 10 Old Yesterday, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsvr79 View Post
The sensitivity is very low, at 82 dB/0.5m. Double the distance to 1m (standard measuring point) drops it by 6 dB, so you're looking at 76 dB/1m. Compare to a different planar transducer that measures at 92 dB/1m.

Would you be using these in an array? By themselves? I think I would avoid the FPS ones for either option.
Most likely as an array. The problem with the Neo10 is that it's too expensive to use for a surround-sound project.

Thanks!
post #4 of 10 Old Today, 06:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 1705
Since they only go down to 180 Hz they'd need to be used with a midbass to reach 100Hz or lower to reach where the subs extend to.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #5 of 10 Old Today, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I can't help with how they would sound other than quite quiet with that sensitivity. 15 of them per speaker might be a good option wired in 5 parallel sets of 3 in series floor to ceiling with a line of 12 5.25" mid bass speakers.
I would look at this if you were considering that.

http://www.parts-express.com/bohlend...ducer--264-700
post #6 of 10 Old Today, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by More is Better View Post
I can't help with how they would sound other than quite quiet with that sensitivity. 15 of them per speaker might be a good option wired in 5 parallel sets of 3 in series floor to ceiling with a line of 12 5.25" mid bass speakers.
I would look at this if you were considering that.

Thanks so much for all your help. I did look quickly at the Bohlenders, but they're just far too expensive for surround sound. They certainly are appealing, as their physical dimensions certainly allow for quite a bit of flexibility in making speakers "aesthetically-pleasing."

To be quite honest, if I were building a two-channel system, I'd probably use the Bohlenders!

At this point, though, I don't think I'm going to use planars in my project. I'd like to keep my component cost to about $200 a speaker, and good planars just don't seem to be within that range.

Thanks everyone!
post #7 of 10 Old Today, 04:33 PM

And you need as full range as possible at all five points, because it's music.

What about five Fusion 4 towers and use the leftover cash for a sub for <60Hz.

Alternately, you could look at a single driver full range rear-loaded horn. Just google image full range horn and you'll see what I'm talking about. I think you'd be hard pressed to get in under the cost of a fusion 4 though. Plus rear-loaded horns have 1/4 wavelength phase issues.

Last edited by rsvr79; Today at 04:52 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old Today, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsvr79 View Post
And you need as full range as possible at all five points, because it's music.

What about five Fusion 4 towers and use the leftover cash for a sub for <60Hz.

Alternately, you could look at a single driver full range rear-loaded horn. Just google image full range horn and you'll see what I'm talking about. I think you'd be hard pressed to get in under the cost of a fusion 4 though. Plus rear-loaded horns have 1/4 wavelength phase issues.
Hmm... Googling around a bit brought me to a company that makes car speakers; are you suggesting that I use Fusion car speakers for home use?
post #9 of 10 Old Today, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I think he means search for this:

Fusion-4 Quad4
rsvr79 likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old Today, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWBasic View Post
Hmm... Googling around a bit brought me to a company that makes car speakers; are you suggesting that I use Fusion car speakers for home use?
Here you go. DIYSoundGroup makes excellent stuff, and a lot of people on this forum have their products.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/wavegui...sion4-kit.html
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs