Any experience with FPS Planars? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By More is Better
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Any experience with FPS Planars?

I'm currently looking to build an aesthetically-pleasing surround-sound system. My system is mostly for listening to music recorded in surround-sound, where 5 full-range speakers are required.

On Parts Express, I came across a set of wide frequency-range planars manufactured by FPS.

For example, Parts express carries a "FPS 0212M7R1 OEM 1-9/16" x 6-1/4" Flat Panel MCMA Planar Speaker 6 Ohm 15W"

Their small depth gives me a lot of flexibility with keeping my system aesthetically-pleasing, and wide frequency range is appealing because it allows for a simple speaker design. Furthermore, their cost is also appealing; as a 5 or 7 channel system can quickly become expensive.

Unfortunately, I can not find any review or mention of these parts.

Has anyone used FPS planar speakers before? How do they perform? Will the above-linked speaker need a tweeter? Should it be crossed-over with a mid-range or woofer? Will it work well in surrounds, that might be closer to my ears than the front speakers?
GWBasic is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM
Member
 
rsvr79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Link for those at home.
http://www.parts-express.com/fps-021...m-15w--292-364

The sensitivity is very low, at 82 dB/0.5m. Double the distance to 1m (standard measuring point) drops it by 6 dB, so you're looking at 76 dB/1m. Compare to a different planar transducer that measures at 92 dB/1m.

Would you be using these in an array? By themselves? I think I would avoid the FPS ones for either option.
rsvr79 is online now  
post #3 of 10 Old Yesterday, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsvr79 View Post
The sensitivity is very low, at 82 dB/0.5m. Double the distance to 1m (standard measuring point) drops it by 6 dB, so you're looking at 76 dB/1m. Compare to a different planar transducer that measures at 92 dB/1m.

Would you be using these in an array? By themselves? I think I would avoid the FPS ones for either option.
Most likely as an array. The problem with the Neo10 is that it's too expensive to use for a surround-sound project.

Thanks!
GWBasic is online now  
post #4 of 10 Old Today, 06:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 10,313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1705
Since they only go down to 180 Hz they'd need to be used with a midbass to reach 100Hz or lower to reach where the subs extend to.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is online now  
post #5 of 10 Old Today, 09:27 AM
Member
 
More is Better's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I can't help with how they would sound other than quite quiet with that sensitivity. 15 of them per speaker might be a good option wired in 5 parallel sets of 3 in series floor to ceiling with a line of 12 5.25" mid bass speakers.
I would look at this if you were considering that.


http://www.parts-express.com/bohlend...ducer--264-700
More is Better is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old Today, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by More is Better View Post
I can't help with how they would sound other than quite quiet with that sensitivity. 15 of them per speaker might be a good option wired in 5 parallel sets of 3 in series floor to ceiling with a line of 12 5.25" mid bass speakers.
I would look at this if you were considering that.

Thanks so much for all your help. I did look quickly at the Bohlenders, but they're just far too expensive for surround sound. They certainly are appealing, as their physical dimensions certainly allow for quite a bit of flexibility in making speakers "aesthetically-pleasing."

To be quite honest, if I were building a two-channel system, I'd probably use the Bohlenders!

At this point, though, I don't think I'm going to use planars in my project. I'd like to keep my component cost to about $200 a speaker, and good planars just don't seem to be within that range.

Thanks everyone!
GWBasic is online now  
post #7 of 10 Old Today, 04:33 PM
Member
 
rsvr79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 25
And you need as full range as possible at all five points, because it's music.

What about five Fusion 4 towers and use the leftover cash for a sub for <60Hz.

Alternately, you could look at a single driver full range rear-loaded horn. Just google image full range horn and you'll see what I'm talking about. I think you'd be hard pressed to get in under the cost of a fusion 4 though. Plus rear-loaded horns have 1/4 wavelength phase issues.

Last edited by rsvr79; Today at 04:52 PM.
rsvr79 is online now  
post #8 of 10 Old Today, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsvr79 View Post
And you need as full range as possible at all five points, because it's music.

What about five Fusion 4 towers and use the leftover cash for a sub for <60Hz.

Alternately, you could look at a single driver full range rear-loaded horn. Just google image full range horn and you'll see what I'm talking about. I think you'd be hard pressed to get in under the cost of a fusion 4 though. Plus rear-loaded horns have 1/4 wavelength phase issues.
Hmm... Googling around a bit brought me to a company that makes car speakers; are you suggesting that I use Fusion car speakers for home use?
GWBasic is online now  
post #9 of 10 Old Today, 07:03 PM
Member
 
More is Better's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I think he means search for this:


Fusion-4 Quad4
rsvr79 likes this.
More is Better is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old Today, 07:03 PM
Member
 
rsvr79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWBasic View Post
Hmm... Googling around a bit brought me to a company that makes car speakers; are you suggesting that I use Fusion car speakers for home use?
Here you go. DIYSoundGroup makes excellent stuff, and a lot of people on this forum have their products.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/wavegui...sion4-kit.html
rsvr79 is online now  
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off