AVS Forum banner

DIYSG Theater Choices??

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  rlhaudio 
#1 ·
Now that DIYSG offers many stereo alternatives I am wondering if someone can point out the pro's and con's to a few different design choices.

Then Fusion Line.
The Cinema Speakers
The Volt
The Alpha

Some question would be more of a comparison. Higher SPL and/or DB, Is on more detailed than the other, Some room vs. Large room, LCR concerns and Surround Speakers etc.

In other words, hypothetically why would you choose the Fusion over the Cinema for LCR, why choose the Volts over the Alpha's etc. Some of this will probably been one's opinion while others have hands on experience.

#2 ·
Fusion line is high value, moderate build complexity wave guided speakers.

Volt is coax - offers less controlled directivity than waveguides; good for short distances or spreading the sound wider.

Cinema series just has a touch of theater intention in the design, like fitting as a center or what not.

Alpha is the premium line. Better quality parts, can be more complicated build/crossovers. Costs more than Fusion.

#3 ·
So would the Alphas be the best choice for theater or just audio? Some theater speaker are built with the intention of high spl and reference level. They tend to sacrifice critical listening sound to do so. While 2ch. type speakers will sound very detailed and articulate but not able to play at high reference levels for long periods. Some hi-end designs can do both equally well but cost a premium.

#5 ·
Fusion line is traditional book shelf and tower speakers designs.
Volts meant to go in a small box and be used as a surround.
Cinema series sized to fit well behind a screen.

No experience with the Alpha yet, they are new. Give it a few weeks someone will build them.

I think you should just take the plunge and build a pair.
I can not recall a time when someone built any of these speakers and did not like them.
The big thing with the different series is to get the one that fits your application and taste.

#7 ·
Your going to need to be a bit more specific.
Any design that just keeps popping into your head saying pick me? Most of us usually fall for a design and end up building it. Depends on what you want out of it.

The 1099 is more popular, people really like the idea of a high output 3 way with dual woofers in a tower cabinet. If you have the space and the budget and if they are available then the 1099 would be the popular option. You really can't lose with either choice.

The new sentinels are supposed to be really good as well but fitting a cabinet like that behind a screen may be a hassle.

#11 ·
I can fit any size speaker behind my screen. I was just curious what was a better choice to topple the Fusion Tempest. It sounds like the new king of the hill is the Fusion 15. Im surprised the 1099 didn't rate higher. I wasn't sure how good the 88 specials were. 3 Matching Sentinels over 2 Sentinels and an 88 special center? Im sure its best whenever possible to have matching L C R. Maybe I can use my Tempests as rears. Currently they are being used upstairs with my TV however, they don't seem to be the best choice for critical listening, maybe Ill try an Alpha design for music and move the Tempest for rears. hmmm

#12 ·
It sounds like the new king of the hill is the Fusion 15. Im surprised the 1099 didn't rate higher. I wasn't sure how good the 88 specials were.
I don't think anyone has heard any of those speakers side by side. Actually I'm not sure any one person has ever heard all 3 speakers. So I don't think they can be rated like that.

Very few people have built the new Fusion-15. As far as I know only one person has actually completed their build, maybe two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.