AVS Forum banner

Starting fresh, need help with designing new Subs.

706 views 35 replies 8 participants last post by  corradizo 
#1 ·
I sold my two 15" sealed Subs today. So I want to start fresh and hope to get some advice.

My room is a large open basement media area. The basement stairs to the first floor are open, no door. The overall space is probably 9000 cubic feet. Floor is concrete with floating vynl planck flooring. Ceiling and walls insulated with R11 or 13, can't remember.

Where I had my Subs before measures the best. They are 6' apart on either side of a media table. Comparing winisd to reality, I get 18db room gain at 20hz. The total space WAF will allow is 27" tall, 20" wide, 20" deep.

My signal path is:
Sony bpd580
Onkyo txnr609
Inuke 3000dsp

I liked my previous hsu vtf2mk3 the best when it was tuned to 18hz. It seemed to be able to pressurize the space a little. Although it never went as low as my sealed 15's. The 15's could make me feel kinda sick, I could not stand to watch Gravity with the sub's going so low continually. Although, its fun to know the subs could have that effect!! Like geeting the huge motor, even thought you only punch it once in a while. So its a toss up.

I like that i can get two si18's for 300 bucks...

What can I do within these constraints?

Pete

See less See more
#5 ·
Can you fit 2 cabinets in?
Whenever folks mention tactile feel adding a near field unit can make a huge difference.
Near field meaning with in 1 meter of the MLP.
Could be nice to have one sub up front and another near field.
Can you hide a cabinet somewhere in the room? I have 2 subs visible and 2 hidden behind a half wall and it is the visible subs that my spouse notices every time we are in the theater. In the future I am planning to hide the subs no matter what.

#10 ·
If you can fit a pair of sealed 18's in your room, go for it! You are going to be hard pressed to beat that combo.
You can get lower with a large ported box but that would not fit in your room.

Be sure to spend time when you are finished getting the eq just right for your room, the eq at the end is going to be what makes this project perfect. Your going to like the si18's when you get them. Never had used an 18 inch driver before I was grinning for days. The size difference from a 15 to an 18 is pretty entertaining the first time you see it.

#11 ·
If it were me, I would've kept the 15s and added either on top or on the sides of the 15s, two 3cuft sealed Peavey Low Rider 18. 450 w and NO HPF. These guys are chest slamming monsters. Model them and you'll see.

#17 ·
No turning bacthey're scaryhey are gone. I'm not familiar with the peavey. It looks like a PA sub. 9.5mm xmax and high sensitivity. Are you using these in your theater?
Yep, I currently have three of them and they're scary good. You don't need much xmax for the slam because they're handling the 50-200hz. Think of them like the HSU MBM 12.

#13 ·
Pete is it possible to make 1 or 2 boxes in the back of your media room. I remember you had a electric fireplace back there can a box be built inside that closet and have it ported out of that wall??? If you have room in there you could put maybe 2 SI 18's in a full marty. The wife would never see the box which would make her happy!!! Any thoughts from anyone else about this??? Happy Hoildays mike

#19 ·
#20 ·
Seems like a sealed 18 and ported 15 would be your options, but it looks like a 390HO in 3.75 cuft tuned to 23 Hz or compares very similarly to the SI HT18 D4 in 4 cubes.

Here's both with 600W and a HPF in the ported box:
Text Line Font Technology Slope

Vitod's idea is interesting, but somehow I'd think you'd be better off with two subwoofers rather than a sub and a MBM.

#21 ·
I have been modeling two infinity 1260w in about 4.5 ft3 tuned to 25hz against one si18 sealed. Both Subs would fit my size constraints and leverage one side of my inuke 3k. It looks like the infinities would best the si by at leat 3db. For 47 bucks a piece right now at sonicelectronix it would be a really frugal yet powerful sub.

#24 ·
Posted this to tech talk about this thread i found:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/s...e-1260-design-questions&p=2035350#post2035350

"I recently have been modeling enclosure options where I have a space constraint of 20w x 24d x 24h. I thought the ste reo integrity HT18 D4 in 4ft3 was the way to go. Then I saw a post by Bill Fitzmaurece (sp?) about how if he only had 4ft3 to work with he'd look at a 12" sub. That got me thinkin... So I remembered the 1260w. I modeled two of them in about 120l tuned to 23hz like you did the single in this thread. I think dual opposed and ported with 1000w @ 2ohm coming from my inuke 3000dsp with a hpf around 20hz would make these best the SI sealed in the same size box. And for 100$ in drivers plus plywood a great deal cheaper. Still not convinced, I looked at boosting the SI down low with peq to try to beat the pair of 1260w's and it runs out of xmax after a 3db boost although it gets close. Sure the super low stuff is gone due to the ported alignments tuning (not a huge fan of infrasonics) but can anyone tell my why I shouldnt builf this over the single si18?

Pete"

#29 ·
Ok, redone. Closer, I could boost the SI18 and smoke the dual ported 1260w's. I ordered two 4ft3 flat packs... But it's a fun excersize!

Attachments

#30 ·
And lastly, where I've come from... The blue line is two epik empire drivers each in their own sealed 1.6 ft3 box. They were flat to 18hz in my media area with no eq connected to the inuke3k bridged at 4ohms. Two of the SI18's should be really nice...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.