Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 7 Unread Today, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Subs Barely hit unless I d/c one??

Hello guys,

I currently have my Alpine PDX 1.1000 powered by a 775watt @24 amp 12volt computer PSU. The amp has 25amp fuses in the back.

I have a single coax line coming from my home receiver, it's a pioneer elite. Has 2 spots for a sub. But I only used one cable into a Y-splitter for the input jacks in the amp.

The Subs are hooked up by a 12AWG speaker wire into the speaker plug that came with the amp. Speaker plug goes into the amp, don't think the direction that it goes in matters because I've tried both ways.

But while I was trying to switch the plugs around, I realized that if only 1 sub was plugged in and the other wasn't, it was getting power. It was hitting pretty good, but when they are both in, both subs barely hit.

I'm not sure why this is. I tried google search but I couldn't find anything. I try to come on the forum and ask as a last resort. Can you please help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Unread Today, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Sounds like your subs are wired out of phase. Make sure your positives and negatives are connected correctly.
post #3 of 7 Unread Today, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I'm no electronics expert but I'm pretty sure a computer PSU is not an audio amplifier, but I could be wrong
post #4 of 7 Unread Today, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by damastah View Post
Hello guys,

I currently have my Alpine PDX 1.1000 powered by a 775watt @24 amp 12volt computer PSU. The amp has 25amp fuses in the back.

I have a single coax line coming from my home receiver, it's a pioneer elite. Has 2 spots for a sub. But I only used one cable into a Y-splitter for the input jacks in the amp.

The Subs are hooked up by a 12AWG speaker wire into the speaker plug that came with the amp. Speaker plug goes into the amp, don't think the direction that it goes in matters because I've tried both ways.

But while I was trying to switch the plugs around, I realized that if only 1 sub was plugged in and the other wasn't, it was getting power. It was hitting pretty good, but when they are both in, both subs barely hit.

I'm not sure why this is. I tried google search but I couldn't find anything. I try to come on the forum and ask as a last resort. Can you please help me?
24 amps at 12 volts gives you 288 watts. Since amps are pretty ineffecient, you're likely only throwing 200 watts to your subs. You need more.
post #5 of 7 Unread Today, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake515 View Post
Sounds like your subs are wired out of phase. Make sure your positives and negatives are connected correctly.

+1
Switch the 2 wires on the back of one sub.
post #6 of 7 Unread Today, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiantPeach View Post
24 amps at 12 volts gives you 288 watts. Since amps are pretty ineffecient, you're likely only throwing 200 watts to your subs. You need more.
I think this is your problem. Assuming the PSU is 775 watts total means that the 12v rail will have much less power (288 watts as GiantPeach mentioned), since some of the amps will be saved for the 5v rail and such. Most power supply's will have the listed amperage on the side for the 12v rail.

Klipsch RF-82II

Denon 2113ci

post #7 of 7 Unread Today, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay. I fixed it haha!

It was out of phase! Thanks guys!

During my google searches I read that this could be the reason, that's why I flipped around the speaker plugs in the first place, but I didn't think about switching the wires that go into the sub. I did see that a negative was going into a positive into the speaker plug. Haha, thanks so much guys!
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page