AVS Forum banner

Dual 18" slim sub build

2K views 53 replies 16 participants last post by  JCJetta 
#1 · (Edited)
UPDATE POST #49

This is my first attempt at designing my own subs. I used Paint because I do not have any CAD software or the time to learn it. I need to go slim because I want to put the subs in the spot of the unnecessary corner in my theater pictured below. I will be using SI HT18D4 drivers powered by an inuke 3000dsp. One per channel wiring the coils in parallel for a 2ohm load. After bracing and driver, the internal enclosure will be slightly over 4ft^3. Even though this is the typical enclosure, I wanted to post this to see if anybody can see issues with the design. I know of one issue, and that is stacking these subs. I plan on securing the subs to the wall with something like Triad uses to bolt their subs down. Anything else that I should be worried about?

This is the corner

Front view

Side view

Stacked

Attachments

See less See more
#39 · (Edited)
Update:

I got in on the UXL18 group buy so I will not be using the SI HT18's anymore. Over the weekend I have been sick but was still able to get the pointless corner cut out and ready for my subs to go in. Here are the progress pics.

Before:

During:

After:

Now that corner will hide two UXL subs and nobody will ever know the difference. That is acoustically transparent column just like my panels.

Attachments

#40 ·
the "slim" factor makes this an interesting build and fun to follow for the pictures and good work done
also the slimness gives better placement options . .

had you considered using a UXL or modeled this box with a uxl? if you could of course , get one
so now we can get them,
what mods to the box might you make, if any

thanks

#43 ·
it was your slim build suggested to me by john wrt to "I bought 2 uxl's-now what!"
yours are sealed
I was looking for a slim ported, there's another thread out there I have bookmarked
and I need about 12 ft^3 to get along with MAX

#45 ·
Thanks! I don't have room in the other corner. I wish I did though, but that screen is centered perfectly between the false column and the corner. The only option that I have is maybe doing an IB setup in that corner near the bottom. I need to finish my subs and Atmos build before I do something like that. Probably don't really need to do that because I have plenty of bass as it is. We shall see what the future holds.

#48 ·
I built a frame and wrapped the fabric around it just like my panels in my theater. Stapled one of the long sides first and then pulled the fabric tight and staple the other long side. After the two long sides were done I pulled the top and stapled, and then the same for the bottom. Maybe took me and hour to build it. Oh, I also painted the frame black that would be touching the material because once it is pulled tight, you might be able to see the wood color. I did the same thing for all panels.

#49 · (Edited)
Update!

Finished the subs other than the UXL drivers are not installed. So for right now I have the SI HT18's in the boxes. I have not tuned them because I am going to wait for the UXL drivers, but they do have an audyssey cal on them that is for the S2. They sound great by themselves but definitely need a tune. When integrating them with my other subs, it sounds good, but I need to adjust delays as well as eq. Right now I have them running off one channel of a Peavy IPR2 7500 with a 4ohm load. I guess that is somewhere between 1000w to 1200w each. I also didn't take a lot of time to make them pretty because they will be hidden. I just painted them with flat black paint to make sure they don't show through the acoustic material.

Now you see them.......

Now you don't.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.