AVS Forum banner

UXL Group Buy-The Sequel

95K views 2K replies 177 participants last post by  tfest 
#1 · (Edited)
UPDATED Feb 27th Extended

Some of you may have heard whispers in the dark corners of AVS that there was going to be another UXL group buy... I'm pleased to announce that those rumors are true! The only caveat is that we need commitments, and eventually deposits, for 60 drivers. 60 will be the minimum order. Without that number the group buy won't happen and the UXL may not return for some time. With the deposits, Mark will be able to acquire all the parts he needs to begin a production run and get the UXL's shipped out.

The group buy price in CAD will be $460 including taxes and shipping. For you lucky ones south of the Canadian border, the price will be $400 USD including taxes and shipping.

Please use this thread to leave a comment with how many UXL's you would like. After doing that, you will then need to PM me your name, email, phone number and full shipping address. I will pass your info along to Mark and he will take things from there to collect deposits and begin production soon after. The deposits will be 50% of the value whether CAD or USD. Mark will then collect the balance just before shipment.

I've created this post with the approval of Mark and hope to keep this as the information hub for the group buy. As I receive updates I will post them here and will also keep a list of how many commitments we have and from whom.

-UPDATE - January 17th
Price for our American friends will be $400 USD to avoid having to adjust for the tanking Canadian dollar when delivery starts.

-UPDATE - January 17th
This group buy filled up much faster than I think any of us could have anticipated! Since it has pretty much all been over the weekend, Mark didn't have the chance to order the parts early like he had hoped he could. Monday morning he will order what he needs and start assembling what he can to get ahead. Once the other parts arrive production will start. Expect it to be about 45 days before he has all of the materials and can start assembly. It shouldn't be too long after that until we start seeing drivers ship :)

-Update - January 20th
Mark ordered all of his materials and supplies yesterday and asked me to let everyone know the lead time of 45-60 days may be slightly delayed. Some of his supplies have a ship date near the end of February so he likely won’t see them till the beginning of March. Like I said earlier though, he is going to do as much as he can now with the supplies he does have to get the drivers out ASAP. He understands if there are some cancellations as a result of the delay.

-Update - January 24th
With the rate that this first group of 60 filled up, Mark has decided to extend/expand the group buy for another 60 units. That makes it 120 total. Rather than people on the overflow list wondering if they will get drivers or not, we're going to create a second group of up to 60 drivers.

-Update - February 4th
Invoices went out for the first group of 60 on February 3rd. If you did not receive an invoice, let me know. If you got an invoice but feel there is a discrepancy with it, email Mark directly. Remember, we are paying 50% now for each driver we committed to and the other 50% just before they ship. You have until the end of this week to pay your deposit.

-Update - February 27th
If you're in the second group, don't worry that you haven't heard from Mark yet. He has all of your contact info (if you sent it to me) and he will send you an email when things get rolling for the second group.

Commitments:
First group
2 - Devon
2 - Fattykidd
2 - asarose247
4 - dmoney76
2 - Niavlys
1 - Overland
2 - irchow
2 - chrisslone
4 - Gargazol
2 - BrutalBodyShots
2 - markymiles
4 - cmryan
2 - andersa
2 - kmhvbal
4 - BCRSS
2 - jcam2881
2 - gpmbc
4 - Sean MC
2 - d_c
1 - RH55
2 - Shadowed
2 - Fastman
1 - homeskizzle
2 - MajorCanuck
2 - Video1
2 - likelinus
First Group Total = 61

Second group
2 - dlozy
4 - Azkker
1 - klirvin
2 - Matman1970
1 - annjones
2 - tbald2h
2 - vinodk
3 - theblackangus
2 - rhodesj
2 - ASU
2 - uopdrmark
1 - brendelac
2 - girmic
4 - Doradoguy
2 - Johnnymenudo
1 - Thomps33
4 - milll36
2 - Brairn
3 - N8DOGG
2 - salehdidit
2 - IronMaiden
2 - AVHack
1 - amo76
1 - niavlys
2 - surrie
1 - jhanda
1 - stegen
2 - Radi0active
1 - gjreid
2 - surrie
2 - Meret
2 - Wormraper
2 - slc85
2 - Buknakyd
4 - nologic2001
2 - Owen81
2 - Traider79
2 - tfest
2 - AFRANZKY
1 - Myggpower
2 - plasma_fan
2 - mrc12973
2 - ShamrockLex
2 - jwebtx
2 - redliner140
2 - K9woofer
2 - Andy497
1 - rocksoldier1
2 - Keithbanford
4 - Peterc613
2 - mbw23air
2 - asangamnerkar
2 - nebrunner
1 - Bassment
2 - Fattykid
2 - wldrkd1
2 - k2fast4u
Second Group Total = 119

See less See more
#1,025 ·
Cool.. small world. So why didn't he buy your t12's?
Perfect example here of why you always need to be solid in your dealings because this really is a "niche" group.

#1,026 ·
We only met because a few other guys in AB had my cabinet friend make them sub boxes too and we met so he could grab the box from me. He was going to buy 1099's but I found these T12's browsing the classifieds the other day and they were a good deal so I told him about them.

#1,027 ·
Ahh. Gotcha. Still small world.

#1,029 ·
I have two up and running, one had a mishap in shipping So tux was nice enough to send me out a replacement capacitor. I've been talking with Erich to have him send me a baffle but as always as soon as I mention shipping to Canada the conversation seems to come to an end... so I'm still working on it.

#1,035 ·
I would bring the beer just to get the chance to hear your ghallerhorns...

#1,036 ·
All this Great White North Bromance is all fine and good, but more on-topic ;)

Is the FIRST group-buy fulfilled yet? I'm in the second for two but honestly, it would be nice to at least have an estimated ETA. I've no problem with waiting. For a reasonable (to me) guaranteed date I'd even gladly pay in full in advance. June? Great. August? OK. Sep? Um, I'll wait, I guess. But "You see'em when you see'um" doesn't work for me. I'm sure I'm not alone in this line of thinking. I'm a reasonable person. Dates, even estimated, are a reasonable thing. Absence of same is not reasonable.

#1,038 ·
The first group is not fulfilled yet. If you can't wait, then I'm sorry to hear that, but it's understandable. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to give a guaranteed date when you'll have your sub. I'm also not going to bug Mark and ask him when the guy whos #'s 145 and 146 in line will have his subs. He has 144 to build before he gets to yours and they take a few hours each.

I've said a number of times over the last few pages that once the first group starts shipping out we'll get a better idea of how long it might take the second group to be fulfilled. That should start happening very soon here. If you can sit tight for a bit and see what happens over the coming days and weeks then great!

#1,039 ·
Devon,
Thanks for the update. I'm sure there are many members watching this thread for updates. I don't think michael is asking for an exact ship date. More like is it weeks, months, quarters or years type of estimate. I believe most peeps who committed to the group buy, assumed it would take some time. I for one use amazon prime, so by my standards, 2 day is all it should take.:D I know in the past you gave some general time guide lines, which is great. It would seem reasonable to reach out to Mark every couple of weeks and see how things are going and post here.

Example
New equipment is in and running, hired additional 146 guys,, so speakers should be done in 2 hours plus or minus a few minutes for shipping.:eek:

I for one really appreciate what you have done for the group. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be trying to answer questions, you don't have answers to. Stay strong my friend and drink often.;)

#1,040 ·
Mark did post a little while back saying his new CNC's were in. I posted a bunch of pictures of the build process to hopefully tide over those who are getting a little testy haha. It seems to have only worked for a short time.

From talking with Mark, I imagine the first group will start going out soon and be completed well before Q2 is up. I've said it before and I'll probably have to say it 5 more times before this is over, but since we filled up the GB so fast, Mark wasn't able to order the parts ahead of time. Some things he had to wait 3+ months for so a lot of this time has just been waiting on stuff. It doesn't actually take him this long to build subs:)

#1,043 ·
Oh, I can definitely wait a few more weeks for an update. And I'm absolutely NOT asking for "a guaranteed ship date." Far from it. Something like "July timeframe" would make me happy. :) As was stated, I just wanted to know if we're looking at "6+ months at a minimum" or "next couple of months" type updates. I'm good. :)

Thanks Devon, for putting this together.

#1,044 ·
You could extrapolate the arrival date from the original group buy. Assembly start to first arrival.
Not an exact science but neither is the weather report: I'm 51% sure that it won't rain today and 49% sure that it will (maybe... ;)) LOL!!!! :D

#1,048 ·
All I know is that I've modeled no less than 9 different ported boxes in WinISD and decided on a 15CF (net) box. I've analyzed the benefits vs. cost of 1" MDF vs 3/4" MDF for said boxes. Decided on 1" MDF but still mulling over doubling the 1" MDF on all panels vs. just going with a double baffle. When the "single wall box" weighs 200 pounds loaded, what's another 80 or so pounds, right?

Additionally, I've already bought the amps that will make the two beasties sing; two QSC RMX 2450A, to run one sub each, bridged mono on each amp. Old school iron for guaranteed thumpage.

And yeah...also already bought the Neutrik jacks for cabs (already have a couple hundred feet of 12-gauge speaker cable laying around). And the MiniDSP to EQ/delay them correctly. And the associated cabling to connect the AVR to the MiniDSP to the amps.

So I guess you could say I'm a bit excited about getting my hands on my two UXL-18's. :D

About the only thing I've NOT decided upon yet is the form factor of the cabs. There's a lot of different ways to get a bigass cab (technical term there). Doesn't help that I'm not sure of the dimensions that will be behind my screen wall.

Thanks for reading this far. This post has EVERYTHING to do with the group buy. At least in my mind. :D

#1,051 ·
OK, got an update from Mark yesterday and it is as follows...

"Baskets arriving within 7-10 days. Magnets are en route. Magnets take the most time due to their size. CNC turning center being worked on. Steel in stock. Gradually making the coils.

Things are progressing..."

Now you all know as much as me. I just replied and asked if he had an idea when the first ones might start going out. I will let you guys know what I hear.

#1,057 ·
the right stuff the right way, all we ask . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.