AVS Forum banner

JL Audio TW5v2 for in wall

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Manic1! 
#1 ·
Has anybody ever thought about or implemented use of this sub for in wall. I realize this is a car sub and there are issues with early roll off. JL does have the Fathom but I could never justify spending $4500 for a sub, especially an in wall, even with the box.

I have seen others use car subs before and most seem to be happy with their results. I'm sure their are differences between this sub and the one used in the Fathom even though they look exactly the same. Am I wrong to think you could get good results with this sub in a well braced box in wall? Would probably need to have more volume than the manufacturer specs since that is based off the inside of a vehicle.

What do you all think?

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I didn't know about this sub, thanks for the info. Seems like this could fit the bill as well and it is cheaper than the JL.

The driver used in the Fathom is based on the W7 line, not the shallow mount line. The cone may look the same from the outside but the frame on the Fathom driver is definitely different and allows for much more excursion.
I figured there was something different but still think $4500 for it is ridiculous.

Interesting idea. I think the biggest challenge here will be placing and concealing the sub's box into the wall. Subscribed to see where you go with this.
This is why I suggested this sub, the depth is perfect for a boxed in wall sub. I think the problem lies with the volume of box which could be an issue. Since depth is not a problem, if you could achieve the correct volume then it would be easy getting the box between the studs, bracing it, and then putting some type of grille over the front. Boxed in wall subs tend to be expensive and small and I was looking for a Diy solution. I am in the pre planning stage of building a house and will have the open walls to do something like this. I am also planning to do 5.1 or 2 all boxed in wall speakers as well, trying to stay Diy but is proving a little difficult. Zaph has an in wall speaker I might go with. Not looking for high performing system since I am going to have a dedicated theater that will be, just looking for a decent surround sound in the family room. I am breaking ground in April or May so I will post what I end up doing when I get to that stage, will also try to remember to take some pics.

#3 ·
Has anybody ever thought about or implemented use of this sub for in wall. I realize this is a car sub and there are issues with early roll off. JL does have the Fathom but I could never justify spending $4500 for a sub, especially an in wall, even with the box.

I have seen others use car subs before and most seem to be happy with their results. I'm sure their are differences between this sub and the one used in the Fathom even though they look exactly the same. Am I wrong to think you could get good results with this sub in a well braced box in wall? Would probably need to have more volume than the manufacturer specs since that is based off the inside of a vehicle.

What do you all think?
The driver used in the Fathom is based on the W7 line, not the shallow mount line. The cone may look the same from the outside but the frame on the Fathom driver is definitely different and allows for much more excursion.

#9 ·
I think I remember seeing this one but eliminated it because the depth wouldn't work with a standard 2x4 wall but I don't remember seeing the 10 inch version. The 10 appears it could work, wonder if throwing in a passive radiator would help it along like the def techs have on their in wall subs.

For some reason Jello still refuses to modernize their drivers with shorting rings. It really holds their drivers back, even though they usually have very good BL linearity over their stroke.

I think the shallow driver in a wall is a great idea, but I'd use a more modern drive-unit. Alpine makes a shallow woofer with an underhung (I think) motor and shorting rings, that's also cheaper than the Jello.
Jello, never heard that one before.:) Sounds like two sayings I have heard about BOSE; Better Off w/Something Else and no highs, no lows, must be BOSE.

I thought it was a good idea but haven't seen where it has been discussed in very much detail other than the ones from manufacturers. I am looking for a good boxed diy option since my walls will be open to do so and wasn't looking for some crazy performing system, just a decent 5.1or2 for the family room. I will check out the Alpine, thanks for the info.

#7 ·
You can make any speaker or sub "in wall" whether the manufacture labels them as "in wall" or not. You can gain a good bit of sound quality on the mid and top end, as well as some nice benefits to the low end by in walling your front mains. The best and easiest solution is to use a projector in leu of a TV and have an acoustically transparent screen with the speakers mounted behind it in a baffle wall.

If you just want something that you can conceal, in wall, with a typical wall mounted TV, first you need to figure out the max depth that you have available and pick a speaker that will fit. Just cut out the Sheetrock and brace the crap out of the area that you want the speakers to go into. Make sure that the front of the speaker, aka the baffle, are flush with the wall.

For in wall subs, first thing to consider is how much depth is available and go from there!

#8 ·
For some reason Jello still refuses to modernize their drivers with shorting rings. It really holds their drivers back, even though they usually have very good BL linearity over their stroke.

I think the shallow driver in a wall is a great idea, but I'd use a more modern drive-unit. Alpine makes a shallow woofer with an underhung (I think) motor and shorting rings, that's also cheaper than the Jello.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.