AVS Forum banner

4 sealed si build - what power amp?

556 views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  raynist 
#1 ·
I am going to build 4 sealed si-18's soon and am trying to figure out what amp to use. Woofers will be the dual 4 ohm VC's so I will get either 2 or 8 ohms per box.

Here are some of the options I was looking at:

Behringer NU4-6000 - if each sub is wired for 2 ohms this puts out 4 x 1600 (1000is real watts?). Price is $349 but then I would need to get a mini dsp for about $120 to be able to set delays.

2 Behringer iNuke 6000DSP's - if each sub is wired at 8 ohms would get 1600 (1000?) per driver but it is more expensive at $800 (would add about $230 to the total cost)

I am thinking I want 4 individual channels as each speaker in the front will be about 6 feet from each other and the ones in the back will be at least 10 feet apart. None of them will be co-located.

Are there any other (better) options out there for the same or lower prices?

Thanks
Ray

See less See more
#2 ·
with the inuke 6000dsp, and dual 4 ohm drivers, you would have something like this:

each driver wired in series for 8 ohms.

two drivers wired together in parallel for 4 ohms creating a PAIR.

one PAIR of drivers on each channel on the amp at 4 ohms, which would pull about 2000 watts or so total per PAIR, which is about 1000 watts per driver.

that could work well.

#3 ·
with the inuke 6000dsp, and dual 4 ohm drivers, you would have something like this:

each driver wired in series for 8 ohms.

two drivers wired together in parallel for 4 ohms creating a PAIR.

one PAIR of drivers on each channel on the amp at 4 ohms, which would pull about 2000 watts or so total per PAIR, which is about 1000 watts per driver.

that could work well.
I thought about that, but given that two subs that are not close together would be wired as one, wouldn't that cause delay issues or problems with EQ?

#4 ·
each channel on the inuke has separate DSP, so one PAIR could be front subs and one PAIR could be rear subs. rear subs could have different eq and delay than front subs.

if you want total control over each sub, you are right. not sure if that is necessary though.

#6 ·
One NU4-6000 and a minidsp would get me the same power with control over all 4 subs but would run at 2 ohms. Not sure it that would stress it too much?

#9 ·
I like all sealed subs:), whats the rest of the system, and what are your demands on the sound. What's the room like ?
Ur gonna love the MiniDSP, I still get amazed when I use it, great software and hardware, and another plug for them, i had them do a repair and it was a two week turn around and , zero charge other than my $23 to ship, Way to go Mini !
Good luck on the build, subscribed......

Oh ya, Pics please:D

#10 ·
Room is about 5k cubic feet with a couple hallways open to the rest of the house.

This is a secondary system that will not see refernce unless I just wasn't tonket it rip one in a while.

Rest of the system is a denon 4520, JTR212's that will eventually move the 212's to the main game room system and replaced with JTR228's. Surrounds are DIY Soundgroup Volt 8's in ported boxes. Right now have 2 SVS sb13+'s as subs.

#12 ·
Room is about 5k cubic feet with a couple hallways open to the rest of the house.

This is a secondary system that will not see refernce unless I just wasn't tonket it rip one in a while.

Rest of the system is a denon 4520, JTR212's that will eventually move the 212's to the main game room system and replaced with JTR228's. Surrounds are DIY Soundgroup Volt 8's in ported boxes. Right now have 2 SVS sb13+'s as subs.

Are doing individual cabs or DO ?

#11 ·
Am am leaning toward the NU4-6000 and trying 2 ohms. If that is too much I can pick up another and change the wiring in the subs to be 8 ohms and run each amp bridged at 8 ohms.

Any other Amps other than behringer to look at?

#19 ·
Based on your signature and what you are talking about adding Raynist I bet your electricity bill is as much as most mortals mortgage.. lol

#21 · (Edited)
:)

It isn't that bad really. I don't let anyone turn lights on in the rest of the house

I used to have about 500 gallons of saltwater tanks filled with coral in my game room. Replicating the sun to grow coral used to kill our electric bill. It used to be $200 a month or so. Now it is no more than $100.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.