AVS Forum banner

1099 Crossover help

2K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  DaveW64 
#1 ·
This one goes out to Tux and anyone else who has built a 1099 crossover. This is my first attempt at anything so complex and I know it shows.
I get sound but it seems a bit high and bright with a definite slurring of words ending with an "S" sssss.

Can someone please help and tell me where I have gone wrong as Im all out of ideas and would love to hear how these speakers should really sound.

Regards,

Dave.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Tux, Speakers installed in the enclosures x 3 all sound the same. There is a definite slurring noticed on words ending with an S. More noticeable with female vocals. There was another forum member who mentioned a similar problem but never actually said if this was cured.

Attachments

#12 ·
Ya, it really looks like the positive line in causes the first cap in the mid section to be bypassed, maybe more. If that cap can't do it's job, it'll cause the mids to cancel with the woofers and your response will be very up tilted and should very shouty. At least that wire needs snipping between the first cap and the first inductor. I'd go over it carefully for other issues. I can't tell well, but there's likely more problems.

#13 ·
Can someone please help and tell me where I have gone wrong as Im all out of ideas and would love to hear how these speakers should really sound.
Another thing that might help us troubleshoot for you (along with rotating the bottom side pic so that it is a mirror of the top side pic) is to take a pencil and draw an outline of each component on the bottom side of the board so that we can see what it connected to what and where. I agree with @tuxedocivic, it looks like your + input wire is bypassing several components.

#16 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advise guys will get more pics and drawings as requested. For now this is the crossover I tried to build. This pic is probably the best explanation of what I did and I'm pretty sure I've followed it correctly (unless one of you can see different).
Tux using the attached pic could you please explain what wire needs to be snipped as Im not sure I understand which one you refer to?
An easy fix would be great as Im not looking forward to re doing 3 crossovers.

Attachments

#17 ·
I'm not so sure it's a simple snip of a wire, but I am certain the wire going to the first big capacitor in the mid section is basically being shorted out by that brown wire. I can't totally tell, but it looks like the next couple of components in line are also wired wrong, but I can't totally tell.

Where abouts do you live? If I lived in the US I'd offer you mail them to me and I'd fix them. But perhaps someone nearby could help you out.

#18 ·
Running all of the wires on the backside of the board is certainly cleaner and looks great in for forum vanity shots, but it really adds complexity/time to the build process and adds opportunities for simple errors. Hopefully you get this sorted without too much aggravation and work.

#20 ·
I did my 1099 crossovers with the wires on the back, but I definitely won't do it again. I almost made an error and was lucky I spotted it, and it probably doubled the assembly time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Guys thanks for the support, you all make this a great forum. I've decided to start again and re work the crossovers using the schematic that was linked here. This is a learning curve and I've learned a few things already.
I will wire everything on the same side this time as it's obvious that it will make trouble shooting easier. Guess I got beyond myself with this effort.

Thanks for the offer Tux but I live in the UK, posting is not an option. The cost of shipping 3 x 1099's out was heavy but I didn't mind as I am confident that the end result will be better than anything I could buy here for 5 times the price.

I'll get on this today and let you all know how I get on and if successful will will give listening impressions.

My other half has agreed to an AT screen, this will change my expected lay out and was wondering if there is any advantage to altering the centre speaker to match the L & R speakers. That is to say cutting the baffle and turning the mid section so that the Horn & mids are in the same orientation as the L & R's then running the centre vertical?

#23 ·
My other half has agreed to an AT screen, this will change my expected lay out and was wondering if there is any advantage to altering the centre speaker to match the L & R speakers. That is to say cutting the baffle and turning the mid section so that the Horn & mids are in the same orientation as the L & R's then running the centre vertical?

I'd say if it's not going too much trouble for you to cut and rotate I would do that. For LCR I feel the best soundstage will be achieved by using identical speakers on the same vertical plane. Having the speaker vertical also helps reduce floor/ceiling bounce issues from the center channel in the lower midrange and upper bass by spreading the woofers apart in that plane.

#25 ·
Hey guys sorry for the late reply I've been working on a few things to sort this and wanted to go down each path before coming back to you all.

Firstly I completely re worked the crossovers in 3 separate circuits as per the wring diagram. No change, something else going on here thinks me.

Next step I completed my 2 x Tempests and set them up, I hear the same thing a slight slurring of words ending with an SSS thought not as strong as the 1099's.

Next i take one of the speakers outside and sit in the garden with it. The problem is greatly diminished but I can still just say hear it. That left me thinking this is partly something to do with the room and partly just "horn sound".

Then I complete my 36" x 30" BFM THT and add that to the mix. What a difference, everything seems more balanced now. I was running 2 x Dayton 15" sealed subs prior to this and have to say I find the THT amazing paired with either the 1099's or the Tempests makes a great combination.

Anyway to top it all off. Saturday night I go to watch a band who have some kind of JBL set up, guess what I hear the same thing. So guys its probably my old ears not being used to what a horn sounds like.

So all in all it seems I've been trying to solve a problem that didn't exist :confused: Sorry for this guys but thanks for looking at it in the first place and trying to help.

#26 ·
If you have the ability to eq, put -3db, q=2, Fc=7khz and it might take out some sibilance if it's bugging you. It may be your other speakers had a dip in this area you're not used to. As people age, they do become sensitive to sibilance especially if they have tenitus and a bit of ringing in their ears from hearing damage.

The 1099 is brighter than the tempest by about 2 or 3db so it may benefit the most.

#27 ·
Thanks Tux, I do have a some Tinnitus so it's got to add to the problem. I'll look at EQ ing this out and see how it goes. I'll be putting in all my room treatment first then see where I'm at.

And thanks to mtg90, I'll look at cut and rotate as it doesn't seem like such a big deal to accomplish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.