AVS Forum banner

For those of you with gloriously excessive subwoofer systems - projector mount type?

5K views 53 replies 29 participants last post by  JapanDave 
#1 ·
I have a hanging mount now. It's surprisingly solid and vibration resistant mounted to the floor joyce above. I only see any minor vibration on the projected image when I near silly spl levels -- 125dB range with my eight sealed subs. No crazy bouncing up and down or anything. I am considering moving my projector to a shelf mount. I'm wondering if I'm more likely to see vibration based on a rear wall shelf mount, than the ceiling type mount. I fear the rear wall, mounted to a couple studs might be more prone to vibration issues. Anyone tried both to compare? It might all be completely room/construction dependant so maybe this is an unanswerable question.
@Gorilla83 @bass addict @Fatshaft @laugsbach @dominguez1 @nube @Paininfliction @N8DOGG @rhed @Scott Simonian @beastaudio @carp @popalock @BassThatHz @JapanDave @MKtheater @lbrown105

Calling out a few that, have gloriously excessive bass systems....

The reason I'm considering a shelf mount is to potentially fix a bit of lens uniformity issue (focus issue) on one corner of my Panasonic AE8000U. I can get three parts of the screen into focus, and one part not perfectly with my current lens offset. I think I can eliminate this by offsetting the other way with a shelf mount. I'm also weighing just asking Panasonic to fix it under warranty - but I'm afraid what I get back might possibly be worse than what I send in --- if it's anything like playing the Epson 8350 lottery where it took me four additional units after my first faulty one to get a decent one, and it took carp six epsons to get it right.

See less See more
#2 ·
Since picking up a projector, I've been using this crappy Home Depot shelve system stacked ~5ft high. Then I have this really old tv stand on top of that. It looks ghetto as hell but it works. Oh, I also have some weight plates on the bottom to give it more stability. If you want I can take a picture for you later.

But still... when a heavy, deep bass transient hits... I lose some focus and have to readjust.

I'll.... I'll have to work on this a bit.

#3 ·
I started out with a shelf made out of solid oak mounted on the back wall and was fine until Josh Ricci's ported monster showed up in my room. Of course, locating it in the rear corner wasn't the smartest idea. Now all my spirited demos looked like shaky cam on my screen. I decided on a ceiling mount to a hardwood tongue & groove ceiling with a rubber isolation pad in between. So far only two demos gave me a very slight shake of the PJ...Lone Survivor & Edge of Tomorrow.

In my room with standard 2" x 4" construction and drywall, the shelf mount along with the entire rear wall, has a healthy vibration. I did use some rubber feet on the PJ and that helped a bit...

#9 ·
I used to have my projector on a shelf coupled to my back wall and I almost broke it. I was watching B:LA and all of a sudden my picture was half off the screen, the projector bounced forward an was hanging off. It was held in place by the power cord and HDMI cable. I then purchased an OEM mount for it that hangs from the ceiling and now, like above, only the screen will vibrate a little during crazy demos. I also have a problem of the lens bouncing around and I put some acoustic foam to fill in the gaps.

#15 ·

This is just hilarious MK, sorry but I could just imagine watching a movie and when the bass hit everything inside the room just collapses because the violence of the sound waves. Then things around the room are just dangling by a string or cord. LOL

Glad everything now is good to go.

#10 ·
#12 ·
I have mine bolted to my joists and have 4 thick rubber balls between the mount and the joist. It doesn't shake much with the bass but does when people are walking around upstairs lol
It's just a cheap monoprice bracket that was 40$

#13 · (Edited)
I have a uni ceiling mount
http://www.parts-express.com/promounts-upr-pro150b-ceiling-projector-flush-mount--185-634

With it mounted into joists and reinforced with 2x2's (which also go into the joists).
I figured more mass and rigidity was probably a good thing.

My theater is a dedicated building so I don't have any noises/walking coming down from above.

I don't have any issues with focus or image movement.
However my screen is a pull-down and is just a loose hanging mass with no tension, during scenes like EOT it shakes in all 3 dimensions; even though the track is mounted to joists and reinforced with 2x2's.
I need to built some vertical spring tension cables until I can afford a more-professional screen.

I slightly underestimated the power of infrasonics upon a wood structure, even an overbuilt one with triple the mass.
If I ever build another theater it will be all cement everywhere, so I don't foresee any of this being an issue next time.

When the whole room shakes, you can't fix that. Even with 2ft of snow, it still isn't enough mass...
Lesson learned!

Attachments

#14 ·
I'm also using an Omnimount bolted to my joists. The picture isn't affected much until I get to +stupid on the volume control generally. I do need to move it over another inch or two to the left as I'm at the limit of my lens shift with my new projector. Since as you know I have a drop ceiling using the mount attached to the above joists was quite a bit easier vs. fabbing a shelf that would need to hang below the tiles.

#16 · (Edited)
I've got my projector (AE8000) mounted on my back wall with this omnimount:

http://www.amazon.com/OmniMount-ECSB-Component-Shelf-Accessories/dp/B000EGI7V4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422713609&sr=8-2&keywords=glass+shelf+mount&pebp=1422713612316&peasin=B000EGI7V4

I also have my nearfield FV15HPs against this wall as well.

I had a pretty bad problem with the projector vibrating. It would not only move on the shelf, but it would actually vibrate it enough to alter the lens shift! :eek: I will say it was kinda cool the first time playing WOTW and seeing the image vibrate of the screen by 1-2ft...After that it was really annoying. It only happened a lot on spirited demos, but still was a pain re-adjusting everything.

I then bought this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTER-Black-24-in-x-36-in-Anti-Fatigue-Vinyl-Foam-Commercial-Mat-60-571-0900-20000300/202015909?MERCH=REC-_-NavPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-202015909-_-N

I cut it to size and put it between my projector and mount. That fixed the projector moving and altering the lens shift! I do still get some very slight shakiness of the image during spirited demos, but with that slight movement, it usually fits the scene, so kinda cool and not really noticeable. No re-adjusting the anything afterward, so it works well.

Those mats are pretty awesome. I had my Fusion 12s on top of my FTW21s, and they would move a ton...put that mat between the two, and problem solved. :cool:

#17 ·
My problem is my ceiling tiles snowing on everyone when the bass really hits deep lol
It literally looks like it's snowing. I'm hoping to replace the tiles with drywall drops in the future when I go to atmos since most will be taken out anyways. Much nicer look and still be able to get up there if needed.

#18 ·
We are surely a crazy bunch of guys. Think about what we are doing! N8, I used to have dust raining on us when I did not seal some stuff properly. My handle on my door became loose again and now falls off during big hits, time to get out the hex wrench.

#20 ·
Anyone have experience with this mount?
Peerless PRGUNV Precision Gear Universal Projector Mount
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TXNS6G

I just got it, but haven't put it up yet.
I liked the fine adjustment options, and the option to use 1 1/2" water pipe screwed into it for major height adjustments.

I've been worried about my ceiling bouncing too much, if it's anything like the floor. The floor is like a trampoline even with a little bass, but not walking. If that happens, I'll try running a pipe up to the top of the roof truss and let it free float through the ceiling.

#27 · (Edited)
We were running things pretty crazy at a gtg past Saturday, and my pj sitting on a shelf (outside of room), vibrated one leg off...luckily no fall. I'm using some kitchen slip pads and those things do not move without a good amount of push. So far so good.

You can get a roll of it cheap and cut it as needed. We used this for our kitchen drawers and the cutting board to hold it in place...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.