5Likes

post #1 of 35 Old 02-13-2015, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quick review of the Volt 10

First off let me start by saying I've owned way more speakers than I should have searching for perfect HT sound, although not near as many as lots of folks here, but enough to drive my wife nuts . I've got into Pro designs with the Pro 10 and was hooked with the detail it delivered. Followed by my one of 2 favorites JBL 3677 which I love and is insane in many ways including midbass and dynamics. Currently I'm building a new theater and needed something to match my QSC 2150 mains that can keep up with their reference capabilities.

When selecting surrounds I'm kinda different I guess as I always test as mains first. If they don't sound good as mains I don't want them in my room in any location.

My requirements are it must have good detail, good imaging and most of all... no sign of harshness and also be decent with music. To me the JBL 8340a used in many popular theaters were...welll harsh as hell (IMO) and didn't sound good at all with music. I have a review on AVS of when I tested them. , as well as a review of the insane 3677 which i love... The 8330a was less harsh but still just didn't sound good, slightly harsh and hollow.

So on to the Volt 10s, The packaging was top notch and everything fit perfect, the only issue was the cutout for the woofer was a little tight and I had to turn the cabinet over and tap on it over and over to get the woofers to drop out after pre drilling the screw holes.. I had the angled enclosures built and drying in 30 minutes for the pair. The crossovers took maybe 20 minutes each and another 20 minutes to install everything and wire them up. All in all it's a very quick project.

Because I'm building a new house and renting, I only have a living room 2 channel setup consisting of an AVR and a crown XLS 1500 pushing them and a DIY sub I built a decade ago with an Adire DLP12.. I removed my Paradigms and placed the Volts on their side sitting on my stands. They looked pretty cool in the angle cabinets laying sideways toed in.

So how do they sound? For the price they are a steal. Not a hint of harshness, imaging is good, detail is solid and they have a decent sound with music. They aren't as detailed or as good with music as JBL 3677, Pro 10 or the QSC 2150 but they sound good with more detail than most consumer speakers most importantly they have the sensitivity i'll need to keep up with my QSCs in the new theater. They also sound good off axis as well.. a plus for surrounds.

One of my new favorite test is to test how well a speaker throws detail into the room.

Several months ago I was testing out the QSC 2150 (in 2.1) and was watching Dumb and Dumber on Netflix. At one part 30 minutes are so in, the main characters are in a hot tub having a goofy discussion. I wasn't paying much attention until I realized I heard the hot tub water all around the room, crystal clear and imaging all over the room as If i had a hot tub in the room. I hadn't ever noticed this before. So I quickly hooked my Paradigms back up and sure enough....nothing..barely any water bubbles or movements from the jets was audible... so to say the least this is now one of my test for spewing detail into the room.

The Volts are better than the Paradigms here but not anywhere near the QSC. With the Hot tub scene the Volts made the bubble audible , but didn't give you the "there,s a hot tub in my room" feel. But they still have more than most consumer speakers, have good imaging, great sensitivity, absolutely no harshness and absolutely squash the JBL Pro surround with Shame (IMO).

##UPDATE##. For the last few months I've been demoing Volt 10lx in 2 channel. I just installed 8 of them in the new theater. They basically sound similar with better musical performance. Both are awesome but the LX version is a no brainer being they cost the same.

Now I'll score them against some Pro speakers I've owned. I also have Paradigm and Rockets 850s currently but they aren't Pro design so I'll leave them out.

Scale 1-10. You may have to view the chart below on a pc and adjust page zoom until the rows line up, on my phone and tablet the rows are all over the place.

*Volts crossed at 100 hz.

.................... Volt 10...Vot 10lx ..JBL 8340a.....JBL 8330a.....QSC 2150....JBL 3677....Pro 10

Imaging...............7.............7............. .....8................7............10............1 0..........9

Projecting Detail....7..............8.................8...... ..........6............10+..........10...........9

Vocals................. 9.............9.................9................8 ............10...........10.............8

Harshness ...........10............10.............4......... .......6..............10............10............ .9

Music...................8...............9......... ....5.................6...............9........... 10............9

midbass...............7................7.......... ...6................6..............10...........10 ++........ 6

Dyanamics...........8.................8........... ..8...............7..............10...........10+. ........8.5

overall..................8...............8.5...... ........6..............6.5............10.......... ..10...........8.5
Based on opinion
not average, I can't deal with fatigue
or a speaker that fails as a main.

Again I test as mains so as surrounds many may not care about most of this. Except for Harshness which again the JBL 8340a/8330a are unacceptable IMO.

For the price The Volt is a great little speaker and more than acceptable as a surround for a low to high end system. After a week with them I'm going with 10 of these as Surrounds, rears, atmos. The sounded good even with less than quality material...from netflix to BluRay..good sound.

Last edited by cdy2179; 03-31-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 02-13-2015, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Thanks for the detailed write-up, the extra info about your preferences and past experiences really adds another dimension of perspective. Interesting to see the detailed rating compared to much larger/more expensive pro rigs. It's great that the Volts turned out to be good fit for your needs.
post #3 of 35 Old 02-13-2015, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked: 1015
I dig your review of the Volts. I have been using them as mains for 9 months or so and completely agree with your assessment. I've convinced a buddy at work to order a set for general music listening in his house.

post #4 of 35 Old 02-13-2015, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks guys! I try to be as non Bias as possible. It's only weakness IMO would be imaging, it images good but I guess you can't expect a woofer cone used as a wave guide to control and image as well as wave guides like the SEOS and other measured and fine tuned guides. Being the off axis sound very good which is IMO whats important with surrounds. I replaced my Paradigms for testing and for TV and movies I haven't missed the Paradigms one bit. They are great for movies, vocals etc.
post #5 of 35 Old 02-13-2015, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thank you for the great review! Very helpful. Just wondering who makes the pro 10 you reviewed?
post #6 of 35 Old 02-13-2015, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aundudel25 View Post
Thank you for the great review! Very helpful. Just wondering who makes the pro 10 you reviewed?

It is a DIY project...safe to assume he built it.

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
post #7 of 35 Old 02-13-2015, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Oh i thought it was the chase pro 10 in the comparison. ok thanks.
post #8 of 35 Old 02-14-2015, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 59
How did you like those JBL 3677's versus your current QSC 2150's? I see where you rated them equal in almost every catagory except music, in which you rated the QSC a 9 and the JBL 3677 a 10. Does the QSC also have a big waveguide like the JBL? I am purchasing a pair of JBL 2447's from a forum member to use on either the JBL 2384's or 2352's, still not sure yet.
post #9 of 35 Old 02-14-2015, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 View Post

For the price The Volt is a great little speaker and more than acceptable as a surround for a low to high end system. After a week with them I'm going with 10 of these as Surrounds, rears, atmos. The sounded good even with less than quality material...from netflix to BluRay..good sound.

Before you buy any more Volt 10s, please make a set of the new Volt-10LX Edition and let us know what you think. These new speakers have a custom 10" woofer and an improved crossover design. The results are a flatter frequency response and a slightly better midrange and top end. Here is what MTG90 says about the performance of the new design:

Q: What is the Volt-10LX and how is it different then the original Volt-10?
A: The Volt-10LX uses a new customized 10" coaxial from Eminence and a more advanced crossover that further flattens the response for more detailed high frequency and midrange performance while maintaining the very flat phase response and time alignment from the original. The improved SQ of the Volt-10LX makes it ideal not only for surrounds but mains as well, especially if built as the dual passive radiator 1.2cuft cabinet alignment posted above. If you wanted you could build out a complete timbre matched Volt-10LX system using them for LCR and surrounds!

Mike
post #10 of 35 Old 02-14-2015, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aundudel25 View Post
The pro 10 was made by Chase HT. They didn't stay in business very long but put out some good stuff . Basically it was a copy of an Econowave using an off the shelf crossover with a few resistors added in. So no didn't build them, but I know how and actually do have one I built a year ago but in the proper size box as theirs was too small and gave weak midbass. The review above is based on the Pre built speakers, the very first run of them actually as i was on the first order.

I think the owner "craig sub" may have changed the name or teamed up with someone because if you google chane speakers versions similar to the pr-10 are out there along with the great subs they made, although i've never seen any in stock.
post #11 of 35 Old 02-14-2015, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 View Post
The pro 10 was made by Chase HT. They didn't stay in business very long but put out some good stuff . Basically it was a copy of an Econowave using an off the shelf crossover with a few resistors added in. So no didn't build them, but I know how and actually do have one I built a year ago but in the proper size box as theirs was too small and gave weak midbass. The review above is based on the Pre built speakers, the very first run of them actually as i was on the first order.

I think the owner "craig sub" may have changed the name or teamed up with someone because if you google chane speakers versions similar to the pr-10 are out there along with the great subs they made, although i've never seen any in stock.
yup, Craig went out of business and then partnered up with someone else to make Chane speakers... same guy, same designs, just a different name
post #12 of 35 Old 02-14-2015, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tip24/96 View Post
How did you like those JBL 3677's versus your current QSC 2150's? I see where you rated them equal in almost every catagory except music, in which you rated the QSC a 9 and the JBL 3677 a 10. Does the QSC also have a big waveguide like the JBL? I am purchasing a pair of JBL 2447's from a forum member to use on either the JBL 2384's or 2352's, still not sure yet.
If your room is a dedicated treated room the 3677 is a no brainer all day long. The next upgrade to it in the JBL line IMO is the 4722n because the others between them have a far less quality woofer (jbl m115)and until you get to the 4722 the woofers are handling half the vocals. However Some have mentioned harshness in the 4722 and lots of talk of upgrading the CD is going on where as the 3677 has no such issue.

**I don't consider the 3678 an upgrade after a guy I know didn't like the 3678 and replaced them with QSC 2150s and felt the QSC were much better and in a league of their own as he put it, and another source has commented the same vs the 3677. Knowing this I wouldn't recommend them. However I haven't heard them so take that into account.

I sold my house over the summer and the new one is being built so I can't really give a fair comparison yet other than two channel in a non treated room. As of yet the QSC is great, although the JBL hit a tad harder. I just sold the other 2 QSC 2150s to a guy replacing the JBL 3678 speakers which he wasn't liking. I'll do a review once the 2150s are installed in the baffle wall which should increase performance even more, including midbass.

If you look at film tech forum...you'll see the pro installers swing towards QSC andhold them above JBL for smoothness and overall sound.

I got a steal of a deal on 5 brand new QSC 2150s (sold 2) or else I'd have JBL 3677... but not JBL surrounds of course, it's not like they're timbre matched or anything anyway.

It's hard to describe just what the 3677 is like, this video hits the nail on the head...skip to 3 minutes. The qsc should be the same once installed.

http://ri.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrT...1d8BsZKd69ytY-

Here's my review of the 3677... it's a process type review as they took forever to break in.

JBL Pro 3677 Have arrived!!!

Last edited by cdy2179; 03-31-2016 at 08:39 AM.
post #13 of 35 Old 02-14-2015, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutchins View Post
Before you buy any more Volt 10s, please make a set of the new Volt-10LX Edition and let us know what you think. These new speakers have a custom 10" woofer and an improved crossover design. The results are a flatter frequency response and a slightly better midrange and top end. Here is what MTG90 says about the performance of the new design:

A: The Volt-10LX uses a new customized 10" coaxial from Eminence and a more advanced crossover that further flattens the response for more detailed high frequency and midrange performance while maintaining the very flat phase response and time alignment from the original. The improved SQ of the Volt-10LX makes it ideal not only for surrounds but mains as well, especially if built as the dual passive radiator 1.2cuft cabinet alignment posted above. If you wanted you could build out a complete timbre matched Volt-10LX system using them for LCR and surrounds!

Mike
I was thinking the same thing. I've got paypal money sitting and waiting for them to come in stock to get 4 more now. Hopefully soon..... I could use the current ones for ATMOS channels.
post #14 of 35 Old 02-14-2015, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutchins View Post

Mike
gosh damnit! just after I ordered a set of 4 for surrounds of the reg volt 10s a month or so back... oi vey
post #15 of 35 Old 02-14-2015, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 370 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Also in there:

"Note (2-5-2015): If you have the original Volt-10 and would like to try an upgraded crossover similar to one utilized in the new Volt-10LX please contact me for the new crossover info. Same topology as the Volt-10LX crossover with slightly adjusted values for the original Beta-10CX woofer. Look to the Volt-6 pictures for layout. Unfortunately this does require all new parts, about $22.15 from PE."

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/forum/i...hp?topic=486.0
post #16 of 35 Old 02-14-2015, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post
Also in there:

"Note (2-5-2015): If you have the original Volt-10 and would like to try an upgraded crossover similar to one utilized in the new Volt-10LX please contact me for the new crossover info. Same topology as the Volt-10LX crossover with slightly adjusted values for the original Beta-10CX woofer. Look to the Volt-6 pictures for layout. Unfortunately this does require all new parts, about $22.15 from PE."

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/forum/i...hp?topic=486.0
Why don't the regular Volt 10s ship out with the better crossover? Just curious.
post #17 of 35 Old 02-14-2015, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 370 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 943
The new crossover was developed after finished I figured out how to refine a couple things with the two additional parts while working on the volt-6 and 10LX. The Volt-10 LX will eventually replace the regular Volt-10 and those will all ship with the new crossover when that happens.
post #18 of 35 Old 02-14-2015, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg90 View Post
The new crossover was developed after finished I figured out how to refine a couple things with the two additional parts while working on the volt-6 and 10LX. The Volt-10 LX will eventually replace the regular Volt-10 and those will all ship with the new crossover when that happens.
Ok that makes sense. I hope they are back in stock soon...
post #19 of 35 Old 04-22-2015, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Just an update. We're sheetrocking the house starting tomorrow so no review as surrounds yet. I've got 6 volt 10lx speakers at the house and I just ordered 2 more for a total of 8 volt 10lx and 2 volt 10. 10 volts in total for dual surrounds, rears, atmos and possibly wides.

So for the last few months my demo has been ongoing. The standard volts sound great in the living room in 2 channel. Music even sounds pretty damn good, sure there's better but I don't miss my Paradigms or Rockets, they have an enjoyable sound and I kinda even forget I'm demoing them. Vocals sound great, still no harshness. My Paradigms are just sitting and collecting dust. I could be happy with them for an enjoyable living room setup as mains long term.

Once the house is done the Rockets will go back in the Living room... If any remember the RS850s I'm sure you'll understand why. The volts of course in the theater.

I need to build a few of the 10lx and swap them out to test.
post #20 of 35 Old 04-26-2015, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Very interested in the review of the lx. I am trying to budget out a build for a smaller spare, guest room for gaming and movies. I have been weighing heavy on buying 5 of the 10lx and a pair of anarchy tapped horns. Angled boxes I could toe in all of the speakers and try toeing up the center from different heights I think it may make for a solid budget friendly setup
post #21 of 35 Old 04-27-2015, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I slapped the crossovers together last week.

I built 6 surround boxes Saturday afternoon. I love my new RIGID R4512 table saw, I cut all of the boxes in an hour and every cut was perfect. Cut all 6 boxes with 1 sheet of MDF. Thank you Eric for including baffles with the kits . These will be hidden in columns and My columns only stick out 8" so I couldn't buy the flat pack, I had to design my own. End result is around .63 cubic feet with the perfect angle for my room width.

The other 4 will be open back Atmos.

Yesterday I grabbed 2 of my boxes and installed the parts. I then swapped the standard Volt 10 for the LXs. Immediately I noticed huge lack of midbass.....5 minutes later it came back...They needed a little break in time!

First thought... they sound just as good as the Volt10. Keep in mind I still have to thoroughly break them in, rerun room correction and listen.

Now remember I used room correction with the standard volt 10s. And personally I'd use them as mains in a HT. Even if to my ears it's a tie...remember The standard volt is kick a## IMO. Remember, I always demo as mains before I use them as surrounds, no crap (to my ears) goes on my walls. I've owned other high efficiency surrounds like JBL 8330a and 8340a (tried to love both but couldn't) and the volts are definitely a step above being much much smoother and worlds better with music while retaining great vocals and good detail.

So to keep it short... update coming soon.
post #22 of 35 Old 04-27-2015, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I need to skip over to diysoundgroup forums and see if anyone in the northern Minnesota area has any to demo. To think how impressed you seem with the sound of these 150-200 (pending cabinet build) speakers, even as mains! I can only imagine how well the "cinema" line of speakers (like the 1099 or 88 special) stack up against the speakers you tested these volts against. I may just have to have work put my checks in diysoundgroups name soon and start building haha. Excited to hear your full update after some room correction and break-in time. Furthermore, the page mentions the possible use of a 1 to 2 cubic foot ported enclosure. I wonder if that would benefit the mid bass more. No other information up in regards to port tune but that would also be an interesting test

Last edited by Choppsho; 04-27-2015 at 06:58 PM.
post #23 of 35 Old 04-27-2015, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

They're a very good speaker. But as my comparison chart above shows they're not the best I've heard. So don't take my excitement as such. I am however very impressed with the price and overall enjoyment, it's a good solid speaker. And as far as surrounds go it's a much better sounding speaker than any of the jbl surrounds I've owned. I do enjoy them as mains in my living room but others in the diy family would be probably better suited for that I'm sure. I wouldn't use them for mains in my theater... Primarily because I like larger drivers at the crossover frequency to the subs up front for reference levels.. below reference or in a living room setup I could see using them all around. As I said they're better than most consumer mains I've owned.. probably all of them really.

Anyways, I have a total of 10 volt 10s (8 of those lx) going in my theater to compliment my qsc 2150s, So that should tell you something.
Choppsho likes this.

Last edited by cdy2179; 09-21-2016 at 08:45 AM.
post #24 of 35 Old 05-19-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 414
@cdy2179 are you using the 3677 for surrounds at this time?

How do you think they work for mains LRC?
post #25 of 35 Old 05-19-2015, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
@cdy2179 are you using the 3677 for surrounds at this time?

How do you think they work for mains LRC?
I once planned to do that. Things changed when I stumbled on 5 QSC 2150 speakers NIB for $450, they retail for $1200 each so I jumped on them. Kept 3 sold 2. My house and HT are being built and are about 6 weeks out so I haven't done any thing but 2 channel testing. Iv'e been curious about QSC ever since learning the pro cinema installers mostly like QSC over JBL.

For surrounds I have 10 volt 10lx waiting all ready to go (dual surrounds, rears, atmos). FWIW the volt is a much better surround IMO than the JBL 8340a and 8330a, I've owned both.

As for what I think about them as mains... well I can definitely answer that...click below!

JBL Pro 3677 Have arrived!!!

If the QSC don't impress me like the 3677 did, I'll be selling them and getting more JBLs.

Last edited by cdy2179; 05-20-2015 at 04:46 AM.
post #26 of 35 Old 05-20-2015, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppsho View Post
Very interested in the review of the lx. I am trying to budget out a build for a smaller spare, guest room for gaming and movies. I have been weighing heavy on buying 5 of the 10lx and a pair of anarchy tapped horns. Angled boxes I could toe in all of the speakers and try toeing up the center from different heights I think it may make for a solid budget friendly setup
I've been testing 2 channel volt 10lx for a few weeks now. The review would basically be the same as the standard volt 10... which would be great. The are a tad better with music i guess.. The standard Volt 10 wasn't bad. I'd go for it. It's an extremely enjoyable HT speaker and I'd pick them all day long over the consumer stuff I've owned. Superb vocals, great detail, good sensitivity which is a big thing for HT that consumer stuff lacks. Having 5 of these, all being the exact speaker... that would be an awesome setup and I think you'd be really impressed.
post #27 of 35 Old 05-20-2015, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Any chance of seeing something like the volt 10 (form factor) but with 600-800 watts and the same sensitivity?
Love to build something like that for my atmos speakers in the future.
post #28 of 35 Old 05-20-2015, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 172 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1478 Post(s)
Liked: 1896
When would you be putting 600-800 watts through an Atmos speaker?

Don't forget to post a review of your speaker kits on their product page.
post #29 of 35 Old 05-20-2015, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 3415 Post(s)
Liked: 2501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
When would you be putting 600-800 watts through an Atmos speaker?
When your building a theater in an old gym and your Atmos speakers are 20m away?
post #30 of 35 Old 05-20-2015, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Erich, just wondering if the volt 10's can be used without a box infinite baffle style for surround and atmos duty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page