trying to decide on surrounds for my 1099's - 88 specials or Volt 10's - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-16-2015, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 19
trying to decide on surrounds for my 1099's - 88 specials or Volt 10's

The 88 specials are shallower at 9" but a whole lot wider at 21", while the Volts are 10.25" deep and 14" wide. I'm thinking while the Volt's are ever so slightly deeper, they'd fit in a column better while the 88 specials would require a pretty wide column. I'm wondering if that'll look kind of funny.

As for timbre and output, am I correct in thinking either will work fine as a surround to go with the 1099's?

I definitely plan on using Volt 10's for ceiling atmos effect speakers though.

Here's a copy of the room layout.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	theater layout.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	551073  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 02:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 173
For surrounds, I'd go with volt 10's... They are awesome ... I think they also have a wider dispersion than the 88's...
Old 02-23-2015, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I just completed two 88 specials for my mains for a phantom center setup. (As a quick aside they are AWESOME!)

One thing to consider is how you are going to angle and mount the speakers since the 88 specials are close to 50 lbs! I think that is close to twice the weight of the Volt 10s!

In your picture with the back seating position < 2 feet from the wall are you planning to mount the surrounds near the ceiling angled down? If so the 88 special would require a custom shelf or an old-school TV mall mount shelf like in a hospital room to support 50 lbs. When I was looking for a standard speaker wall mount I found most are 10-15 lbs with some maxing out around 20-30 lbs There might have been one or two that could handle 50 lbs but they were getting close to $100 bucks a piece if I remember correctly!

The Volt angled flat pack might give you enough angle and would be much easier to mount on the wall especially if they are just sitting on a small shelf inside the column.

Also, it doesn't look like you are going to toe-in the surrounds, but if you do it might be helpful to add it to your drawing and see how deep the 88 special is after you toe it in X degrees. I setup a 20 degree and 15 degree toe-in for the 88 special in SketchUp and the front edge of the 88 special was close to 17" away from the wall when angled at 20 degrees! Since the 88 special is so wide any toe-in quickly removes the shallow depth of the 88 special!

I love the 88 specials and they would make incredible surrounds (user @klipsch built 88 specials for surrounds in thread "Quick Cinema 88 Special build"), just beware they are considerably heavier than a "big-box" surround!
Old 02-24-2015, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, that back row is problematic. I'm not sure how to handle that. It really is too close to the rear wall for 2nd row occupants to get any sort of a good surround effect.

Right now I'm leaning toward mounting the Volts up high and further out laterally. I'll hide them in columns, or I can just leave them as "warts" on the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitmap42 View Post
I just completed two 88 specials for my mains for a phantom center setup. (As a quick aside they are AWESOME!)

One thing to consider is how you are going to angle and mount the speakers since the 88 specials are close to 50 lbs! I think that is close to twice the weight of the Volt 10s!

In your picture with the back seating position < 2 feet from the wall are you planning to mount the surrounds near the ceiling angled down? If so the 88 special would require a custom shelf or an old-school TV mall mount shelf like in a hospital room to support 50 lbs. When I was looking for a standard speaker wall mount I found most are 10-15 lbs with some maxing out around 20-30 lbs There might have been one or two that could handle 50 lbs but they were getting close to $100 bucks a piece if I remember correctly!

The Volt angled flat pack might give you enough angle and would be much easier to mount on the wall especially if they are just sitting on a small shelf inside the column.

Also, it doesn't look like you are going to toe-in the surrounds, but if you do it might be helpful to add it to your drawing and see how deep the 88 special is after you toe it in X degrees. I setup a 20 degree and 15 degree toe-in for the 88 special in SketchUp and the front edge of the 88 special was close to 17" away from the wall when angled at 20 degrees! Since the 88 special is so wide any toe-in quickly removes the shallow depth of the 88 special!

I love the 88 specials and they would make incredible surrounds (user @klipsch built 88 specials for surrounds in thread "Quick Cinema 88 Special build"), just beware they are considerably heavier than a "big-box" surround!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread