Doc's Sealed HST18 Build Thread
Well, after weeks of planning, studying, and asking a ton of questions I finally built my subs this weekend.
I know that I said I decided on miniMarty's, but in the end I decided they were just too big. I ended up building sealed boxes for my two HST18's with approximate internal dimensions of 21"x23"x19".
Just got them up and running with an iNuke 6000DSP driving them (Have since replaced with two Crown XLS-2000 amps)and they are plenty loud for me. EQ'ed them to fairly flat from approximately 10Hz thru 60Hz. They are crossed with my mains at 80Hz. But right now the bass management on my processor isn't working correctly. Gotta figure that out before I can get things dialed in correctly.
I had all my panels cut from 3/4" MDF by a local carpenter that I found on Craigslist. He did an excellent job - none of the panels were off by more than a 64th of an inch. I was very impressed.
I used Tightbond III to glue the outside panels. Glued, clamped, and used my pneumatic brad nailer to nail them together. Then removed the clamps and moved on to the next step. The internal bracing was glued with liquid nails since I didn't care if that got sloppy. Also siliconed the inside joints, even though it probably wasn't required.
After getting the boxes put together, we used a router to round the outside edges. Filled in any gaps and brad holes with wood filler. Then sanded the corners with 150, then the whole thing with 320. Applied a coat of lacquer-based sanding sealer, sanded with 320, applied a second coat of sanding sealer, and sanded again with 320.
Then applied a coat of Rustoleum semi-gloss enamel from a rattle can. Allowed 48 hours to dry, sanded with 320, then 800. Applied final coat of semi-gloss enamel and allowed to dry,
Finally, finished assembly and set up today. Finish isn't anywhere near perfect, but I'm happy with it! And they sounds great!
1. After installing bracing.
2. After applying front baffle.
3. Another angle after front baffle installation.
4. After rounding corners.
5. After first coat of paint, before sanding.
6. After second coat of paint.
7. Final home for Sub 1.
8. Final home for Sub 2.
9. Closeup of Sub 2.
10. RoomEQ plot of both subs together.
Thanks again to everyone who helped me on this project.
Last edited by pmd918; 06-08-2016 at 01:47 PM.