AVS Forum banner

$1500 to Spend- Table Saw Recommendations...GO!

15K views 313 replies 45 participants last post by  dtsdig 
#1 · (Edited)
UPDATE 3/2/15: I purchased a Grizzly G0691 saw. Thanks for the help with my decision!

Original thread starter:
Hey guys, my wife and I had some good conversation about my future career plans yesterday and have made it possible to finally purchase a table saw. I absolutely love my Makita track saw and will continue to use it, but for maximum efficiency/accuracy for multiple larger projects, a nice cabinet saw is in order.
Any furniture maker semi-pros around here? What models should I be looking at in the $1500 range? Jet, Grizzly, Rikon, Powermatic, Sawstop, Porter Cable?
As an aside, I love banter on the few tool threads that have popped up on here in the last couple of years, but I want to keep this thread focused and on topic. I will be purchasing this week. Thanks fellas!

#15 ·
AudioJosh has a great point. An awesome fence can transform an old clunker into a high performer.

When starting a MartySub (sorry, PORTED ENCLOSURE) the stock fence on my Delta 10" contractor table saw was horrible. measure, remeasure, cut a test piece, remeasure bump and jiggle the fence a little, and start over........

I found a better fence on the local classifieds, spent as much time installing it as a single round of measure/remeasure, and suddenly I could just adjust to a measurement and cut. It would be straight, square, and accurate. I could even make other size cuts, return to any measurement, and have it be accurate!

Make sure your saw has a great fence.

#7 ·
I was just watching the product video for that line!

For that budget, I'd also recommend Grizzly. You can get a good quality full cabinet saw. Are you limited to 110v or can you do 220v?

Another model to check out would be this one from Laguna. Has pretty good reviews. You are paying a little bit for the name, but it looks like a decent saw.
One of my current projects is running a 220v line and installing a sub panel to the garage so I can do either. I currently have no 220v equipment but am making the provisions for it anyway.
I'll take a look at the Laguna brand too. Thanks!

#6 ·
For that budget, I'd also recommend Grizzly. You can get a good quality full cabinet saw. Are you limited to 110v or can you do 220v?

Another model to check out would be this one from Laguna. Has pretty good reviews. You are paying a little bit for the name, but it looks like a decent saw.

#9 ·
I'm sure the 220 will come in handy, not only for this appliance but for a future welding setup and an automotive lift.
I've been looking at my local CL for a while but in upstate NY in the snow belt/salt belt, many owners are folks that don't take very good care of their tools, especially when it comes to cast iron. If I find the right setup, I'll do it (nothing I want on there at the moment) but in this case I'd like to buy new. :)

#12 ·
As an orthopedic surgeon, I would advise you to look closely at SawStop.

Your life can be changed in a millisecond.

I'd agree 100%. I have an old school cast iron Delta. It's a good saw, but the lack of riving knife and blade guard leave me exposed. While I like the old iron, I'd say table saw is something you should invest in the newest tech - they are much safer. I was ripping a piece of oak with my saw and had it kick back - I watched that board shatter on the cement wall 20 feet behind me. Had I not been using good technique and keeping my body out of the kickback zone, the outcome would have been considerably worse.

IMHO - Delta, Jet, and Rigid are mid tier consumer machines. Grizzley probably falls in there too. Get the higher end/right models and they are going to be solid. Get the lower end ones, and you are getting what you paid for. With your budget, I'd also look at Powermatic. They are pretty well respected in woodworking circles. Cast iron, a good fence (Bieselmeier (sp) is a good one), and good dust collection are the features I'd prioritize.

My nest saw will be a SawStop though. Accidents happen fast and the consequences last forever.

#17 ·
i would get the grizzly they sell more and stock more parts for their machines then anyone else and their cs is the best i have had to deal with. it comes with riving knife so u don't really need to worry about kickback and it has a guard for the blade leave both in place and the saw is just as safe as a sawstop most accedents happen when people think they don't need a blade guard or buy a cheap saw without a riving knife .

#21 ·
As someone that makes a living using a Table saw, I build custom furniture, I would look for a used powermatic 66 with a 52" fence and 3-5hp motor. You should be able to find one within your budget. As to safety, you can make the saw very safe but not idiot proof, with a blade guard and Board Buddies( one way spring loaded wheels that hold work down and against the fence) I do like the Sawstop, but at $3-4,000+ for something comparable, you have to evaluate your ability and pocketbook. A table saw needs a good and SHARP blade. Accidents can be caused by having to use excessive force feeding material against a dull blade. And DO NOT use a table saw when you may be tired or after alcohol.

#23 ·
Thanks for the discussion so far guys. I am hearing Powermatic 66, Grizzly and SawStop as the contenders so far. I am familiar with SawStop's technology as it was coming out around the time my employment was repairing power tools. I've read the pros and cons over the years and I'd like this thread not to be a debate about SawStop.

While they are great saws, their only models (in my price range) are lighter-weight "portable" construction type saws that feature-wise are comparable to a $599 Rigid with the major difference being the addition of sawstop technology for an extra $1000. :eek:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/84...xtrusion-Fence-System-Model-CNS175-SFA30.aspx

Does anyone know the real world differences between the Grizzly G1023RLX and the Grizzly G0691?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-3HP-220V-Cabinet-Table-Saw-with-Long-Rails-Riving-Knife/G0691
http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-3-HP-240V-Cabinet-Left-Tilting-Table-Saw/G1023RLX

#24 ·
#27 ·
I have a Grizzly G0690 and have been very happy with it. As has been said, Grizzly always stocks parts for their machines and their support is top-notch (the one time I needed to call). The April 2015 edition of Woodworker's journal has a Grizzly 10% off coupon on a $200+ order. I will not use the coupon and would be happy to PM it if you wanted to use it. (OP first, gents. :) ) It's a 220-only saw, however.

A true cabinet saw is a step up from a contractor saw; not that there aren't nice contractor saws out there; I almost bought one. But a cabinet TS is an investment. If you plan to build more cabs or do other woodworking projects (I do) then the TS is the most indispensable tool in the shop.

Additionally, I will add my vote to "Put 220v in your garage." You just can't compare a 220v power tool to a 110v one.

#31 ·
Depends on your needs. Some things to consider are width of cut, built in router table, how do you cross cut, out feed table, dust collection, zero clearance inserts, blade stiffeners, blades including dado, are you right or left handed and mobility. All this ad's up quick.

That said I get by with with a general intl. contractor saw set up nicely with most of the above. Do wish I had a rifing knife tho.

Congrats on your build so far, very impressive use of jigs.

The table saw is the only tool I will not go near with a beer. Saw Stop contractor has my recommendation.

Cheers
Derek

#33 ·
Congrats on your build so far, very impressive use of jigs.

The table saw is the only tool I will not go near with a beer. Saw Stop contractor has my recommendation.
Cheers
Derek
Thanks for the compliment!
I completely agree with the no drinking rule around tools in general and especially around things with blades. Frankly, using a table saw scares the hell out of me and I think I will always approach using one with reverence.

#32 ·
The order is in!! I purchased a Grizzly G0691 and the Shopfox super heavy duty mobile base and the mobile base extension so it can all roll as a unit. Thanks to michaelddd for the coupon which took a big chunk off!

I noticed several of you responded about putting 220v to the garage and I just wanted to clarify that that has been the plan all along.

Thanks to everyone's input today. The saw should be here Wednesday and I'll post back with pics! :)

#35 ·
If the saw comes on a truck with a lift gate, be careful when it's unloaded- the cast iron top is at the top of the box and it's top-heavy. You'll also have to clean it because they coat the bare cast iron with cosmolene grease. Scrape it off with a putty knife and put it in a good-sized can. Once it has been mostly removed, you can use gasoline, kerosene or white gas to wash off the remaining grease. After it has been cleaned, put a few coats of Johnson's paste wax on all of the bare cast iron, to protect it from rust. I use TopCote for the top, but it's really no better than paste wax, IMO. Plus, it doesn't screw up finishes, since it doesn't have silicone. Obviously, water-based finished won't stick, but once it dries and hardens, it's no big deal.

#43 ·
Good call on 220V. I put a 50amp welder plug on my saw so all of my 220 tools use the same receptacle.(welder, plasma, tablesaw, etc)

557 pounds. You might get a friend to come over just in case the driver doesn't want to cooperate. I'd hate to think you had to drag it inside alone.

#47 ·
Thanks! Yeah, I love Incra stuff. It's pricey but their designs are great. I think the fence that comes with the saw should be plenty for me for a good long time. It's nice to know that upgrades are available though.
I was checking out Incra's cross-cut sled setup which looks really nice.

#51 ·
All sorts of things. Furniture speakers, as someone else called it. :D I'm a fairly creative dude and my wife has a good eye for design, so between the two of us, who knows what could happen. This past weekend I drew up plans for a modern looking, exotically finished dining room table......with 2 18"s built into the bottom of it that nobody would know were there. :)

#52 ·
I'm in Texas, but when my Grizzly TS was delivered, it came via UPS Freight. The driver put the crate on the roller jack and rolled the whole thing onto the liftgate and lowered it to the ground. I simply asked "Sir, my garage is right here...would you PLEASE help me run it up my driveway?" He said "What is that, maybe 30 feet away? SURE! I hate it when people ask me to help carry this stuff up stairs!" I pulled the roller jack and he pushed. It was in the garage in 5 seconds flat.

Of course, assembling the thing by yourself will prove interesting. I did it, but then couldn't lift it into the mobile base I bought...had to bribe two guys with beer. Works every time.

#54 ·
Hey there, dts. Been a while.

Have been following your curvy-build...great pics, great progress...awesome jig!

There is no doubt the Powermatic 66 would have been great if it could have easily been had in your budget, but the Grizzly you picked is pretty darn nice!:)

What @highfigh stated earlier is on the money..."You'll also have to clean it because they coat the bare cast iron with cosmolene grease. Scrape it off with a putty knife and put it in a good-sized can. Once it has been mostly removed, you can use gasoline, kerosene or white gas to wash off the remaining grease. After it has been cleaned, put a few coats of Johnson's paste wax on all of the bare cast iron, to protect it from rust. I use TopCote for the top, but it's really no better than paste wax, IMO. Plus, it doesn't screw up finishes, since it doesn't have silicone. Obviously, water-based finished won't stick, but once it dries and hardens, it's no big deal."

He also recommended an outstanding blade. For just over a 100, you cannot go wrong with Forrest blades. Long-lasting and high-quality carbide tips. Saves a lot of time getting great glue-up edges right off the saw.

Carry on, sir! :D

#58 ·
Hey there, dts. Been a while.

Have been following your curvy-build...great pics, great progress...awesome jig!

There is no doubt the Powermatic 66 would have been great if it could have easily been had in your budget, but the Grizzly you picked is pretty darn nice!:)
Carry on, sir! :D
Hey Blah! I hope you're holding up ok in Syracuse! I'm really sick of this crap.
Thanks for the props! I looked around for a Powermatic 66 with no lock. People around here don't seem to be selling anything that is in good condition. I've seen guys posting pics of their table saws for sale showing them sitting out in the snow, literally! "Only used a few times. Great shape -$1000 or B.O." HAHA

I can't say I am a customer of Nick's place. Garbage plates gross me out! Keep in mind that I've only been in this town for about 8 years and I actually came from the Syracuse area so some of the local "delicacies" aren't really my bag. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.