DO HST-11" enclosure build - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 93Likes

Old 03-11-2015, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Liked: 1512
Can someone model this driver with 2k watts going to it. Love to see what spl is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 270
I am pretty sure you just managed to kill JL's Fathom 113 in terms of biggest bang possible out of a tiny WAF box, which is its specialty. You're a few inches deeper, while it is taller and wider.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrodynamic View Post
If what was stacked inside the enclosure? There's no more room for additional drivers in that box.
Dual front facing drivers in that size enclosure.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post
It will probably do backflips from the force/excursion.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Not sure how much sense this box makes but here is 4x DO hst11 ported with each driver getting 1800 watts (2x nu6000dsp). Still requires a 4th order high pass at 20hz just to control air velocity. The port takes up almost 2.5 ft3. I guessed each woofer takes up 0.25 ft3 based on this thread

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quad HST11 20hz.png
Views:	1260
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	597745   Click image for larger version

Name:	quad HST11 20hz winisd.jpg
Views:	1268
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	597753  
chalugadp likes this.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post
Ah, gotcha. You could do two front facing drivers without the drivers on the end in a box that is the exact same size as what I have. Each HST-11" is 10" deep so you have to leave room for the motors inside the box. DO is great because it cancels out a lot of vibrations. Not using a DO alignment would have the enclosure moving quite a bit from the force of the motors.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL D View Post
I am pretty sure you just managed to kill JL's Fathom 113 in terms of biggest bang possible out of a tiny WAF box, which is its specialty. You're a few inches deeper, while it is taller and wider.
Haha, nice!

If I get some time by myself this weekend I'll crank everything up and see what kind of numbers I'm able to get out of this "little" subwoofer package. So far 99% of my listening / measuring has been at night while my 2.5 year old is asleep. I only got five or ten minutes to grab the 5 Hz measurement at 95 dB the other day.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

*Disclaimer*

I DO NOT reccommend watching the move "Gravity" with the settings I have posted even at a 6 dB reduction late at night. Everyone in your household will be very upset that you are watching the movie even at 80 dB. Out of no where there is random massive LFE. That's it for now. Time to slather more "magic sauce" on these HST-11's! Haha
Fatshaft, filtor1, dtsdig and 1 others like this.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
*Disclaimer*

I DO NOT reccommend watching the move "Gravity" with the settings I have posted even at a 6 dB reduction late at night. Everyone in your household will be very upset that you are watching the movie even at 80 dB. Out of no where there is random massive LFE. That's it for now. Time to slather more "magic sauce" on these HST-11's! Haha
HAHA, I'm glad to see the Karma come back to you with your own subs. You've surely been responsible for dozens of other SI sub owners getting in deep doo-doo for "accidentally" having a massive bass blast too late at night while everyone else is sleeping!
Bombelman likes this.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 64
lol

*puts hand up*

My neighbours were not so impressed with 4x SI18s at -9.5MV but +6dB on the bass trim at 11pm the other week... :facepalm:
Bombelman likes this.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Sorry computer freaking out.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
*Disclaimer*

Yeah, be careful with John Wick as well. Bass rolls around in quite unexpected places. There is some stupid bass through out this movie and the gun shots are stupid as well. The movie wasn't that great but I just couldn't turn it off due to the effects and what it was doing to the room. Its seems they ran out of things to do but copy Red and put a lot of guns going off. The first scene actually scared me when the tahoe hits the loading dock. It shook the house and I jumped. I gotta get over there and hear these bad boys. Bring them with you when when and if we ever can get together to measure these 24s. I might have to grab a few of these as well for near field.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog01 View Post
Yeah, be careful with John Wick as well. Bass rolls around in quite unexpected places. There is some stupid bass through out this movie and the gun shots are stupid as well. The movie wasn't that great but I just couldn't turn it off due to the effects and what it was doing to the room. Its seems they ran out of things to do but copy Red and put a lot of guns going off. The first scene actually scared me when the tahoe hits the loading dock. It shook the house and I jumped. I gotta get over there and hear these bad boys. Bring them with you when when and if we ever can get together to measure these 24s. I might have to grab a few of these as well for near field.
I'll need someone to help me carry the thing into my trunk if I plan on bringing it up with me. It's small but very heavy. The two HST-11's combined weigh right at 160 lbs without the weight of the enclosure.
Bombelman likes this.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 403
I love the size of that box. Imagine how many you could fit in the same space two 18" ported subs would take up. 8, easily?

Do the 12's need a sealed box as well?
Old 03-12-2015, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
I love the size of that box. Imagine how many you could fit in the same space two 18" ported subs would take up. 8, easily?

Do the 12's need a sealed box as well?
Yes, the HST-12 is very very similar to the HST-11. The HST-12 is just a little bigger. Still works in a very very small sealed box. No porting.

If you must port a woofer you will need to dive into the larger HST drivers such as the 15" or the 18" sizes.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 453 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2946 Post(s)
Liked: 2552
Nice thread, Nice results.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I'll need someone to help me carry the thing into my trunk if I plan on bringing it up with me. It's small but very heavy. The two HST-11's combined weigh right at 160 lbs without the weight of the enclosure.
The HST-11 weighs ~80lbs? What did you make the basket out of, depleted uranium?
Old 03-12-2015, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleite311 View Post
The HST-11 weighs ~80lbs? What did you make the basket out of, depleted uranium?
That caught my eye too. No way an 11" driver weighs anything close to 80 pounds. Most 18" drivers don't weigh 80 pounds. MAYBE he meant 80 pounds for the pair of drivers, but still, even that is doubtful. 40 pounds for an 11" driver just does not compute.

No doubt trying to move that box with 2 of those drivers feels like the thing is bolted to the floor though. i just would not expect something that small to be immovable.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelddd View Post
That caught my eye too. No way an 11" driver weighs anything close to 80 pounds. Most 18" drivers don't weigh 80 pounds. MAYBE he meant 80 pounds for the pair of drivers, but still, even that is doubtful. 40 pounds for an 11" driver just does not compute.

No doubt trying to move that box with 2 of those drivers feels like the thing is bolted to the floor though. i just would not expect something that small to be immovable.
Yes there is a way an 11" driver weighs almost 80 pounds. It's called a large motor. Maybe I am throwing parts up in the air an hoping they resemble a speaker after-all. You guys may know more than I do about speakers. 80 pounds?! More like 8 pounds! Jeez.
NWCgrad and Bombelman like this.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 1724
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:

Ha... Of all people to question...you question the manufacturer of the driver? I mean, c'mon man.

Probably should take 30 seconds to attempt to validate before just straight up calling someone an effin liar.

Unbelievable.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The frame alone is about 3x heavier than a normal cast aluminum frame -- but, naturally, the weight is mostly in the motor... the HST line uses a 3" thick tall magnet stack x 8.66" diameter... plus a 1.2" thick steel top plate and 1.2" thick steel back plate. It's a BIG motor.

- Jacob Fuller
Old 03-13-2015, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 294
I forget how light these things look. Grant it I have a 15 but still looking at it I am guessing 40's or so. Then I try to move the thing and then realize its double that. Which for me and my wants I like the weight. I dont like the shipping charges, but every day I look at my HST I cant wait to order another boat anchor.

Last edited by chrapladm; 03-14-2015 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Most entertaining thread at the moment for many reasons.

Keep up the good work!
Old 03-13-2015, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Ha... Of all people to question...you question the manufacturer of the driver? I mean, c'mon man.

Probably should take 30 seconds to attempt to validate before just straight up calling someone an effin liar.

Unbelievable.
Where did I call this gentleman a liar? I simply expressed my disbelief at the weight stated. You have quite the flair for sensationalism. I happen to think this is an awesome build and an interesting thread.
popalock likes this.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Yes there is a way an 11" driver weighs almost 80 pounds. It's called a large motor. Maybe I am throwing parts up in the air an hoping they resemble a speaker after-all. You guys may know more than I do about speakers. 80 pounds?! More like 8 pounds! Jeez.
That's pretty amazing. I was already impressed with the size and heft of the HT-18 that I recently used in my build. Someone who's talented at making gifs ought to superimpose the HST-11 over Thor's hammer in that recent Avengers 2 trailer where everyone's trying to pick up Mjolnir.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 904
Quote:

Quote:

Unbelievable.

Where did I call this gentleman a liar? I simply expressed my disbelief at the weight stated. You have quite the flair for sensationalism. I happen to think this is an awesome build and an interesting thread.
There are MANY ways of calling someone/something a liar !!!
In bold above "CLEARLY" states he's a liar.

Here's tip for you...read it 10 times in a row (the bold part) and tell me what it means "EXACTLY"
Good luck with that one !!!

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's

Last edited by Fatshaft; 03-13-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 456 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked: 1858
I bet it's a good thing it's that heavy, with that much throw in such a small box it needs some weight to keep the box from dancing around right? Dual opposed is a good cure for that too though.
Electrodynamic likes this.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:21 AM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 951
Quote:

Please tell me you have an amp already in the trunk that you can hook this up to. Tell them about the guy using the dual 24s in his car...
Old 03-13-2015, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post
Please tell me you have an amp already in the trunk that you can hook this up to. Tell them about the guy using the dual 24s in his car...
Haha. I've actually sold a few of the HST-11's already to people that are going to put them in their vehicles. Only a few HST-12's at the moment but the 11's are actually out-selling the 12's right now.

And yes there is a nut job that is putting two 24's in a 4'th order wall in a Tahoe. I just finished with one of his two 24's right before I left work today. The shame of his install is that he is inverting them. I'm trying my hardest to convince him otherwise but all he cares about is keeping the motor exposed to help cool the coil as much as possible...because he is gonig to have 5,000 watts RMS on tap for each woofer. Haha. Like I said, nut job. But he is a really cool kid that has owned quite a bit of my products over the years and he went ballistic when he saw the 24's and then heard them on the test bench. He is all about playing low low low and he wants the 24's for that wow factor.
ambesolman likes this.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I bet it's a good thing it's that heavy, with that much throw in such a small box it needs some weight to keep the box from dancing around right? Dual opposed is a good cure for that too though.
Dual opposed is great for cancelling out enclosure vibrations/walking. The enclosure is currently sitting directly on the carpet so you can feel the floor shake when the subs dig real deep (below 20 Hz). Spikes will definitely help so I may put those on the bottom of the enclosure so the carpet doesn't have a rectangle impression in it when I move to a new house and take the subwoofer system with me.

I cranked it up today and was REALLY shelling out some more than decent SPL (110 to 115 'ish dB) and the woofers were fine. I keep thinking "oh, don't push them too far, etc" but every time I paused the track, rewound it to the same spot, got off the couch and got really close to one of the woofers, it was the same thing - the driver(s) was coasting along not coming anywhere near damage. I'll get out the OmniMic soon and take some measurements and probably a video of the measurements. I only had a few minutes to crank the volume today because I was home with my 2.5 year old son with him in the hallway while I was in the media room with the door cracked. I didn't want to turn it up too terribly loud with him in the house. Thankfully the hallway and/or my bedroom is at least 10 dB quieter than inside the media room. But whenever my parents can watch my son for a little bit and I'm at home by myself I'm going to unleash the DO HST-11's.
wlelandj likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement