DO HST-11" enclosure build - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 94Likes

post #151 of 163 Old 05-27-2015, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Meh, I had my period last week... Happens to us all.

Mine's an even flow, comes around like butterflies

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
popalock likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 163 Old 05-27-2015, 11:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked: 1814
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrodynamic View Post
The 24 thread has nothing to do with my negative nancy response. I find the responses on the 24" thread quite comical and I'm staying out of it because of the latter. Pretty funny to read here and there.

I was simply AVS'd out for the day (reading too much negativity) when I posted my previous immature reply. Sorry guys and sorry again to Erich H for being pissy for no reason.

Back OT, I would not recommend a vertical DO alignment. My tiny horizontal alignment suits the drivers very well. A veritcal alignment would be fairly top heavy as each HST-11 weighs over 70 lbs so you would have 70 lbs of weight at/near the middle of the enclosure.

But if you do build a vertical DO box for these drivers note to be extremely careful to not bump into the enclosure(s) as they may topple over.

I recently put spikes on the bottom of my DO HST-11 enclosure and I can't lift it with my fingertips to reposition it. I'm going to ask a few friends to help me move it now that the spikes are installed. It's not easy picking up a small brick-sized enclosure that weighs almost 200 lbs with your fingertips.
Maybe not for the negative Nancy's or wussy Wanda's out there...

Hit the gym bro...
Face2, Augerhandle and moosifee like this.
post #153 of 163 Old 05-28-2015, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 175 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 1905
I'm not sure I would do a dual opposed model or not. If a single one was used would it be okay to be down firing, and how much clearance would it need?

post #154 of 163 Old 05-28-2015, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
The 24 thread has nothing to do with my negative nancy response. I find the responses on the 24" thread quite comical and I'm staying out of it because of the latter. Pretty funny to read here and there.

I was simply AVS'd out for the day (reading too much negativity) when I posted my previous immature reply. Sorry guys and sorry again to Erich H for being pissy for no reason.

Back OT, I would not recommend a vertical DO alignment. My tiny horizontal alignment suits the drivers very well. A veritcal alignment would be fairly top heavy as each HST-11 weighs over 70 lbs so you would have 70 lbs of weight at/near the middle of the enclosure.

But if you do build a vertical DO box for these drivers note to be extremely careful to not bump into the enclosure(s) as they may topple over.

I recently put spikes on the bottom of my DO HST-11 enclosure and I can't lift it with my fingertips to reposition it. I'm going to ask a few friends to help me move it now that the spikes are installed. It's not easy picking up a small brick-sized enclosure that weighs almost 200 lbs with your fingertips.
I completely understand. I have seen a bunch of posts where people are coming down on you pretty hard and that too would make me not want to be on AVS for a while. Shoot, even when I get infractions that I disagree with I don't want to be on AVS. Other infractions that I deserve is a different story though.

http://www.computertechnologieslab.com/ Website Design Professionals

The Thompson Theater

RIP William Alexander
post #155 of 163 Old 05-28-2015, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
I'm not sure I would do a dual opposed model or not. If a single one was used would it be okay to be down firing, and how much clearance would it need?
A single driver down-firing would be fine. I would still leave 2" in front of the top (or bottom, depending on how you look at it) of the surround to allow for enough excursion.
post #156 of 163 Old 05-28-2015, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked: 1814
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
So if I had to SWAG it... I would say 14"L x 14"W x 18"D. Would allow 2" for cone travel and another 2" of clearance from the ground in general.

IMHO.
post #157 of 163 Old 07-01-2016, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
After going through mutliple movies I decided to get out an old'ish blu-ray movie and measure it. Below are SpecLab measurements of StarTrek released in 2009. Note these are not the digital signal but the result of my DO HST-11's during playback at a very low volume level:
Hey Nick, couple quick question for you on the HST11s (and maybe HST 12s).

1) would these and/or the 12s work ok in dual front firing config stacked in a single cab without tipping themselves over/walking too much?

2) do you happen to know the sensitivity 1W/1M of these guys? I looked on site, but didn't see that for the HST 11 & 12.

asking for planning purposes, not flame wars... Thanks!
post #158 of 163 Old 07-02-2016, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Very nice! How do you not have these parked behind your couch? Or is the room small enough that you get a good punch from across the room?
post #159 of 163 Old 07-20-2016, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerryan View Post
Very nice! How do you not have these parked behind your couch? Or is the room small enough that you get a good punch from across the room?
In the first post he stated that his room is 11x11, which means his couch is up against the back wall, so the sub has to go up front or on a side wall.

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe, nowhere else could things be this screwed up.
post #160 of 163 Old 07-21-2016, 01:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Time for me to eat some major crow. I was wrong in what I posted way early in this thread. I was wrong, and I apologize.

I do see how this driver has pushed the boundaries (sp ?) of what was available before, and how it has surpassed other options currently available. I was too quick to judge, without seeing what was right in front of me. Completely my bad. I'll own that, as I was not seeing the bigger picture.

I want to be the first one ( yeah, too late, I know) to say I was wrong. And I'm sorry. I was completely out of line.

Nick... thank you for all that you do, because you've made this entire venture a better thing for all of us, even dumb-asses like myself that don't see it right away. For anything negative I've ever said, I apologize. I recognize, appreciate, and thank you for what you've done for this 'hobby'. I was totally out of line, see that now, feel really bad, and acknowledge my mistakes.

Joseph
pmd918, dtsdig, ambesolman and 2 others like this.

mods, can we have a 'dislike' button ?
post #161 of 163 Old 07-21-2016, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Nice reply Joseph, well done.

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe, nowhere else could things be this screwed up.
post #162 of 163 Old 07-21-2016, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude View Post
Time for me to eat some major crow. I was wrong in what I posted way early in this thread. I was wrong, and I apologize.

I do see how this driver has pushed the boundaries (sp ?) of what was available before, and how it has surpassed other options currently available. I was too quick to judge, without seeing what was right in front of me. Completely my bad. I'll own that, as I was not seeing the bigger picture.

I want to be the first one ( yeah, too late, I know) to say I was wrong. And I'm sorry. I was completely out of line.

Nick... thank you for all that you do, because you've made this entire venture a better thing for all of us, even dumb-asses like myself that don't see it right away. For anything negative I've ever said, I apologize. I recognize, appreciate, and thank you for what you've done for this 'hobby'. I was totally out of line, see that now, feel really bad, and acknowledge my mistakes.

Joseph
Wow, Ok. I'm glad you have seen what we are all about at Stereo Integrity. Especially with the linebacker 11's: Absolute asault on the low end even in the tiny sealed enclosures they call for.
post #163 of 163 Old 03-19-2017, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesj View Post
I think LTD pointed out an Earthquake Sounds PR that matched up well enough to the HST11. Wasn't that expensive either. Seems like the trick would be keeping it from dancing across the room.
do you remember how big the box was?

Marantz 7010 for 7.2.4
2 x Paradigm Prestige 75F's
1 x Paradigm Prestige 55C
8 x Paradigm CI Pro P65-R's
Sub 2 x Rythmik LVX12's
TV: LG 65B6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page