So I got the eclosure from the cabinet maker today. Very cool guy who is also moderately into speakers. I'm sure we are going to swap out work for product later. I requested the enclosure be finished as natural as possible while being black in color. We used two layer 3/4" arauco plywood. Not only were the panels doubled up but he took the extra mile to vacuum the panels together with wood glue between them for the highest strength. Anyway, I absolutely love the way the enclosure turned out. Is it 1000% perfect? No, but I like it that way. You can see that it was made by a person and the quality shows. Being an old-school wood worker most of the seams are dado joints (the inside brace between the drivers motors), etc.
So, on with the build:
First time lugging the enclosure up the stairs to the media room:
And then I began the extremely tedious task of installing the woofers. I do not like a non-treated enclosure and I have found through testing that with extremely small internal volumes that loose fiberglass insulation works the best to smooth out the FR while adding a touch of output on the bottom end. By small enclosures I am talking about these drivers. After the drivers displacement is accounted for there is about 0.4 ft^3 per woofer. Very small.
I managed to get the first woofer installed after finding out that zip ties were not going to work as the two zip ties I used to install the first woofer snapped and left the zip ties under the frame so the woofer rocked back and forth. I had to tip the enclosure over, remove the zip ties, and then use a rather unorthox method to mount the woofer. I used the smallest allen bit I had and placed it through the mouting hole of the driver and then mated it up with an openn screw hole. It was my only chance of aligning the pre-drilled holes with the screw holes of the frame. Thankfully it worked out pretty good.
Here is a look at how we used the PE dual screw terminals in the double 3/4" enclosure walls:
Picture of the twin HST-11's on the floor:
Despite the pedigre of what most people post on this forum here is my before EQ and after EQ responses late at night. Keep in mind I took these measurements with my 2.5 year old son asleep in the next room.
How close the motors are to each other:
Absolutely zero EQ and low volume:
After first EQ adjustment:
Oops, I forgot I could lower the FR of the Omimic: