EBS vs. LLT vs. SLLT - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old Today, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 58
EBS vs. LLT vs. SLLT

Can you guys help me understand the differences?

Edit: going to answer my own question...

I know LLT is tuned 15hz or lower and it's a large bass reflex. Due to low port tuni g, does not need a hpf. Acts like a ported enclosure above tuning, like sealed below it. Needs less power. Trade off is you get more extension in echamge for SPL at higher frequencies.

SLLT is Structural LLT, so it's built in like an Infinite baffle except it is a tuned bass reflex.

EBS Extended bass shelf -3 or -6.... Not sure on these...yet

Last edited by corradizo; Today at 11:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Today, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 285
All of them are just forum names for the classic EBS alignment. Not much to worry about.

However, all EBS enclosures, regardless of the name used, go dipole below tuning. Just like any other vented box. None of them stay monopoles. Only closed boxes and 4th order bandpasses (including variants such as the "front loaded horn") stay monopoles.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #3 of 6 Old Today, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

So if I wanted to model an si18 in this alignment, do I model the ebs -3 or ebs -6?
post #4 of 6 Old Today, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Pick your poison. Its just a starting point. You also need to decide how low to tune it, how big a box and vent you need in addition to the alignment. You might als include in the model any room gain or boundary support you will get in its intended placement in your room. Play with the model, trying different box and vent sizes and alignments and tuning frequencies until you get something that looks good. Post some of your results here and you may get some feedback...
post #5 of 6 Old Today, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by corradizo View Post
So if I wanted to model an si18 in this alignment, do I model the ebs -3 or ebs -6?
I'm sorry. I don't know what that means.

"Alignments" are really obsolete concepts. Play with port tuning and box volume until you get the response you want, with reasonable excursion.

Also, make sure to TURN ON vent resonance modeling. Many EBS type subwoofer cabinets color the upper bass because they have huge port resonances. For my tastes, a vent is basically never good enough. If I wanted a resonant enclosure - I don't; sealed multisubs provide adequate headroom at all levels for my tastes - I'd use PR's.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #6 of 6 Old Today, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
I'm sorry. I don't know what that means.

"Alignments" are really obsolete concepts. Play with port tuning and box volume until you get the response you want, with reasonable excursion.

Also, make sure to TURN ON vent resonance modeling. Many EBS type subwoofer cabinets color the upper bass because they have huge port resonances. For my tastes, a vent is basically never good enough. If I wanted a resonant enclosure - I don't; sealed multisubs provide adequate headroom at all levels for my tastes - I'd use PR's.
Winisd has two presets/alignments/"ways of recommending what your box and tuning could be" that say EBS -3 and the other option is EBS -6. That's what I meant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs