AVS Forum banner

Considering DIYSG Speakers- The choices!

3K views 42 replies 12 participants last post by  Mfusick 
#1 ·
I have a Sierra1 LCR, and they sound very good at moderate volume.
I just built 2xMFW15 Micro subs, with 2xHT18 drivers standing by for cabinet builds, and as of right now I have an iNuke 3k for the subs- I'll deal with more sub power later....

These little guys are gonna struggle mightily, it's not gonna happen, I can see that just running them up against the Micros at ~ 300W each.

Considering moving to a larger more efficient design, and after reading hard for the last day and 1/2, I'm still undecided...of course!
My theater build has not started, it's getting to Risc clip/channel/GG ordering stage though, so I'm hopeful to get it started within a month or so...so whatever I build needs to be able to run in this 1200ft^3 room in the meantime, and we know that could be awhile when building a Theater.

I originally was looking at the 1099, which as we all know is OOS, and who knows when they will come back in, then the Cinema 10's, then the 8's, then the Fusion 8 towers...

See what's going on here yet?

I've been looking at (2) driver designs(The 1099 dedicated mids was what I was looking at there) EXPLICITLY!
I kept digging around, and kept going right by the single driver Fusion line.....

Now I'm considering these:
Tempests
Pures

Cinema 10's and 8's
Alchemy 8 Towers

At 10 last night it was the Fusion 8 Alchemy Towers, or the Cinema 8's...by 2:30 this morning, I was leaning hard toward the Cinema 10's...
Today I kept reading forum posts and reviews about the Tempests, which I purposely avoided last night, thinking I wanted 2 drivers (and the dedicated Mids of the 1099!)....I'm now seriously considering the Pures or the Tempest instead.
The Pures would save me a bunch of coin, as they are far cheaper. I was going to buy a CC as well, but I think I'll be fine in Phantom in this small room, only the couch and it's 7' from the speakers- right now my Sierra CC sounds like it's on...in stereo...obviously not!
I have a limited budget of ~1K, and would love to be far under that, as there will will money flying out of my pockets for the theater build.

I also have no idea the difference in the sound between the DNA-360 and 205, or the EOS/SEOS in different sizes(the dispersion/Directivity is what I gather with the waveguides).
If the theater was done, it'd probably be 3x88's or 1099's( if they were available) across the front, but it's not, and won't be for awhile.

What do ya think guys, 2 Tempest, 2 Cinema 10's, 2 Pure's?
I'm leaning 2 Tempest right now, and adding a 3rd for LCR later, but some of you guys have heard all these.
I listen to Music alot, being a former drummer I enjoy plenty of slam.:D

Thanks

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I too am not a musician, I'm a drummer. :rolleyes:

I put together both the Cheap Thrills (12" SEOS DNA-360) and the Fusion 10 Pure (12" SEOS DNA-205) at the same time. I wondered if the $70 360 in the CT was better than the $34 205 in the F10, so I plugged one each at the same time to the Fusion 10's and listened carefully. There was NO difference, and I mean none. In fact they sounded better mismatched then either pair sounded together, I think maybe one filled in whatever sounds the other didn't.

If I was being picky, I might say the 205 was a little smoother in the midrange, but I mean subtle, and I am sure I couldn't tell which-was-which if doing blind listening tests. There was no difference in top end, to me that is trumpet and its overtones, and cymbals. One of the designers will have to weigh in and tell you the technical difference, maybe one has better power handling, I don't know. I do know running them both with an Onk 717 AVR at 110 wpc, with music, and loud, they sounded the same.
+++

Fusion 10 Pure: I run mine L/R in a 5.1 config and I assure you that chest thump sound is no problem. I know exactly what bass drum, tenors, snare and rim shots should sound like, and these sound as sharp as they can be.

You do need to run and sub with these. My sub is a very modest Klipsch RW-12d, a $300 sub, and I run it at -10, per the Audyssey settings.

I hope that helps.

#3 ·
Thanks wvu80

Like I said above, I have (2) MFW15 drivers in (2) Micro Marty cabinets right now(with iNuke feeding them >200, probably closer to 300W each), and (2) SI HT18's waiting for cabinets, so subs won't be an issue.
After reading MORE since my original post, focusing primarily on the Tempest and the Pure, I'm pretty certain I'm gonna get the 10" Pures instead, what's the worst that can happen, I use them as surrounds later?
They'll still be a bargain.:D

Thanks Again

#5 ·
I'm currently running the Pure as my L/R with a 1099 center. I did this due to height constrictions, but they are terrific speakers and I'm very happy. I now have a couple of 1099s on pre-order and I'll end up moving the Pure to my surround speakers. You really can't go wrong either way. I haven't heard the Tempest yet, so I can't really speak to them. I came from Klipsch Reference though. Huge upgrade.

#4 ·
Just ordered the Pure's. :D
I'll worry about the CC and other stuff when the theater is almost done, most of my usage right now is Music, so Stereo/Phantom is the what's gonna happen for awhile for movies.

Reactions: wvu80
#7 ·
Just ordered the Pure's. :D
I'll worry about the CC and other stuff when the theater is almost done, most of my usage right now is Music, so Stereo/Phantom is the what's gonna happen for awhile for movies.
Cool beans! Let us know how you like them. :)

My one caveat is to let them break in for at least a month. The Eminence Delta 1-A mid/woofer is very stiff right out of the box. It will sound lifeless and a little dull when new, but wait for a month, and I can practically guarantee it will put a smile on your face. :cool:

Did you get the flat pack and pre-assembled crossover? You'll love that flat pack.

#6 ·
If the 1099's were available in the last 24 hrs I most likely would have stretched the budget and just got 3 of those and been done with it, as I don't have the Vertical height for a Pure as a Center channel in this room.
When the 1099 become available again, I may just grab 1 of them for now, grab 2 more later on, and move the Pures to SS....

We'll see, but I need the output of the L/R now.

Thanks for the input likelinus.

#10 ·
Muzz, have you seen the Youtube vid on putting together the flat pack? I just looked on the web site and I did not see the link.

#14 ·
Muzz, have you seen the Youtube vid on putting together the flat pack? I just looked on the web site and I did not see the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgvjHB_7FV4
Never watched it, but I saw it somewhere. Just watched it, nothing out of the ordnary there....I like the Rabbeted edges, and everything cut to size perfectly by CNC....that and the weather sold me the Flat packs....I have clamps, and also own brad nailers, so it'll go together quick.
These will be Duratexed, I already have a gallon waiting for good weather....my (2) subs and the Pures will be matching Lovelies!

Thanks for the link.

#13 ·
Yeah I'm debating between SEOS Sentinel 15", Fusion Tempest, 88 Special (which doesn't seem to get as much attention for some reason?), and the 1099 for a center speaker.

Currently have just stereo pair of the original gangsta Fusion Max which is one 10" woofer, SEOS-12, and DNA-350.

#15 ·
I'm guessing the 88 doesn't get as much love cuz it's a little funky looking in comparison.
When it's going behind an AT screen it looks as good as any!

#18 ·
The flatpacks will go together very quickly, I just hope it's warm so I can paint them as well.
I'll have the XO done so I can install it while building them....that reminds me, I need another topper!

#23 ·
I have a Sierra1 LCR, and they sound very good at moderate volume.
Thanks
Muzz, I think I read you ordered the pures, and if you did, you will be in for a very pleasant surprise. I had a 9.2 Ascend system with 340's up front and 170's for surrounds. I now have the 1099s which was a big improvement with spl but also feel the clarity is better with voices. Now the 10 pures are a close timbre match to the 1099's and I have been thinking of getting two for my wides now. Not that the 170's are bad as surrounds but replaced them with Volt 10's because the 170's just couldn't keep up. Gotta love DIY thinking you have gotten what you want only to find out the other ID speakers are lacking. :)
Post back on your impressions when you are done.

#24 ·
Yes, I ordered the Pures for L/R- won't have a CC for a few.
I have the 170 se's as well, and was going to use those as surrounds with the S1's as LCR( as I did prior to moving here, the 170's aren't being used right now)..
I like them all, but they won't keep up either, so I'm sure I'll be getting replacements.
I also have a 340SE CC that is in the original box from when the 170's were my mains....I should just sell it, as it's wasting away.

#25 ·

what I was tripping over in my garage until an "ah-ha" moment
expedient, sprayed to match the baffle and virtually invisible wrt viewing condiditions
its a dark oiled bronze metallic but the flash brought all that out

#31 ·
My 88 runs off one channel of the UPA 7 I've tried but pretty sure I can't over crank it but the sound stage is sounding full

the hard part wrt the "hot off the " grill was waiting for the paint to dry
that shelving is plastic coated, it matters not . . .

time to work on the room . . .more panels

Reactions: muzz
#36 ·
Got the mattress topper and more spray glue today, I also went to Rat Shack for the terminal blocks, but they didn't have what they said they had online, so I bought solder type(which is fine) instead, along with some bread board for XO's, I'll have to add small blocks/strips under the board anyway.
They also didn't have the solder type lugs I wanted, so I decided I will solder all connections, like I did on my MFW/Micro setup.

:Looking up!

#38 ·
Almost there!

2 Pures-

Boxes 100% built, XO's built,installed, and ready for drivers, boxes sanded, 1st coat of DTex on them(except the back- they are laying on strapping).
Almost there! :)
That DTex is some seriously thick goop, it takes almost nothing to do a coat on these things, which is great to know, as I have (2) Micros waiting for filler/paint, as well as 2 -yet to be built - larger cabs.

These Pure cabinets are bigger and heavier than most folks would think, the bracing for a cabinet that doesn't even really do any "Bass" is certainly sufficient, great job on the cabinet Erich (and anyone else that had their hand in that), that dual baffle of the old Fusion would certainly be WAY overkill..
BTW, as many folks have said 1000X, the packing was excellent.

#39 · (Edited)
So far they sound very clean, of course it's late and I can'r crank them up... seems like a common affliction here, work all day and get sht done....then place it and wait!
ARRRRRRRGGGGHHHH
I will say that they look formidable, and weigh a ton for speakers that have absolutely no low end.
Just like PA speakers, which is basically what they are, but with a controlled FR thanks to the XO from Ryan, and the years of research on the Seos by the group at AVS,

Thank You Guys!

I'll let ya know when I get a chance to let loose, but at low volume they sound good.

#40 ·
I don't do alot of pics while building, but I took a few.
I know my room is a mess, I'm working on it, I just moved that plasma and ordered longer cables!
That corner unit/stand is a POS, I've had it for 13 years, and will be replaced with a home made threaded rod/adjustable shelving, but this is a temp room, so no rush.

Attachments

#41 ·
Muzz, it's hard to tell from your pics but it looks like the pures are too high. Since you are making new stands the pures will probably sound better if you lower the stand height so that the waveguides are near ear level for your seating position.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.