AVS Forum banner

OAP audio 12" coaxials for HT use only? OAP good?

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Bill Fitzmaurice 
#1 ·
So I came by three drivers made by OAP and I thought "hey, 3 drivers perfect for LCR!" I currently have KEF reference 105.1 speakers for my HT/music mains with no center. They are a 12" 3 way using the 12" B300 woofer, 5-1/4" B110 mid and a 1-1/2" T52 tweeter. The KEFs are incredible for music, probably the best speaker I've heard and quite excellent for ht. They don't quite do it as well as my old efficient Klipsch reference towers when it comes to that theatrical slap you in your face moments. They are power hogs and require a lot of power. I'm thinking I need something more efficient and doesn't reach as deep, gives more midbass punch.

Now these OAP drivers are mine free if I want them. They were used in a church, so one day a month for about 8 years very lightly. Has anyone heard anything good about this company? Should I pass on them? I couldn't find much on them like an FR plot but here is what I can find.

http://www.proacousticsusa.com/productdetail.php?pId=18872

Thanks
Dan

#2 ·
Model Q-1200 CC
Product Type 12 Inch Speaker
Impedance 8 ohm (system, note #1) 8 ohm low freq. 8 ohm high freq
Low Frequency Device 12" dia. w/ 3" edgewound voice coil
High Frequency Driver 2" exit, 3" dia. edgewound voice coil, titanium diaphragm
High Frequency Horn 90? conical concentric
Frequency Response +3db/-6db 60Hz to 13KHz, +/-3db 70Hz to 12KHz
Power Handling, Low Freq 700 watts continuous program
Power Handling, High Freq 160 watts continuous program
Passive Crossover Set at 1000Hz
Sensitivity, Low Freq 97.8 db 1 watt@ 1 meter averaged between 125Hz and 1000Hz
Sensitivity, High Freq 99.0 db 1 watt @ 1 meter averaged between 1000Hz and 16KHz
Sensitivity, Full Range 96.8 db 1 watt@ 1 meter averaged between 125Hz and 16KHz
Taper 15?
Flypoints 7 (2 on Top, 2 on Bottom, and 3 on back)
Color Black, White, Grey and unfinished
Grill cloth Black, White, Wheat, and Pumice
Inputs Parallel NL4 connectors with barrier strip
Dimensions 17.375"WX17.25"HX17.25"D
Weight 55 lbs (24.94 kg)

That weight is accurate. These drivers are true beasts!!!

Dan

#5 ·

Thanks! It's good to hear that they're well regarded. The thing is, I don't want to just take them if they general thought is that they'll just flop. If I didn't take them they would go to someone else who is second in line for them. If I take them now, then he will end up spending money to buy something else. I just don't want an "oops, these could have been yours for free" moment. Maybe I should take them. What do you think they would compare to Bill?

Dan

#6 ·
What do you think they would compare to Bill?
There's not that much out there made like this now, though they used to be common, from sources like Altec, JBL, EV and Community. You're going to need driver specs to put them to use, OAP should be able to provide them.

#9 ·
How does that waveguide effect the sound from the woofer?
That depends on how low the crossover is. If sufficiently low the HF horn is acoustically invisible to the wavelengths coming from the cone, they simply go around it. The main issue with this design is that the acoustic center of the HF driver is behind that of the woofer, which should be compensated for in the crossover, otherwise the lagging highs will result in a subjectively dull sound.

#8 ·
I'm not sure if the wave guide effects the sound coming from the woofer. I'm sure it may. As far as cosmetics. I'm hoping thess will be going behind an AT screen so they won't be seen.

Thanks Bill, I confirmed that I'll take them. I already have the one so I'll just pick up the other two. I'll see what info I can get from OAP.

Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.