AVS Forum banner

Inuke 6000 limiter question

10K views 61 replies 15 participants last post by  derrickdj1 
#1 ·
In preparation for my 2 UXL 18's coming in the next few months (I'm in group two so it may take a while), I'm ordering an Inuke 6000 DSP and going to use it to power my SI 18 marty's... they are the D2 Marty's (I originally went with an IPR 3000 using 840 watts per channel along with a mini dsp unbalanced and I'm retiring that to the bedroom subs when I have the chance) so I can't wire them both off of one side etc, I'll have to use the signal limiters. my question is , I swore I heard a while back that the signal limiters on the Inuke weren't working right and sending too much signal. Is that the case or did I get my info wrong and I can use them to send about 1000 watts of power to my martys using this method and not over power them? Sorry for hte dumb question, but I've been looking for the last few hours and can't find info about that statement of the signal limiters acting up so I wanted to make sure first

#2 ·
that amp will put out about the right power for the driver for ht.

are you planning on sustained duration music blasting?
no, no music at all, just HT... and power I knew it would deliver in spades for the SI HT 18... I was just really wondering about how effective the signal limiters worked... I wanted to make sure it wasn't going to fry my drivers while I use it for my my SI's in prep for my UXL 18s

#5 ·
ricci measured the d2 at 3.5 ohms. 1000 watts into 3.5 ohms requires 59.16 volts rms, which is 83.65 volts peak.

the limiter in the inuke, iirc, is peak limiter, so should be set somewhere around there.
I remember some confusion about peak limiters, but I can't recall one not working.

#13 ·
Limiter settings are based on RMS wattage. There is a complex way to do described by Bossobass with a volt meter. The easier way using the I Nukes is setting the RMS wattage at a give ohm level. The attack and release should also be set for the limiters to work correctly.

I use 5 and 20 ms for attack and release on my amps.:)

#18 · (Edited)
Limiter settings are based on RMS wattage. There is a complex way to do described by Bossobass with a volt meter. The easier way using the I Nukes is setting the RMS wattage at a give ohm level. The attack and release should also be set for the limiters to work correctly.

I use 5 and 20 ms for attack and release on my amps.:)
No, the limiter settings are based on voltage.

thanks for the explanation. that makes more sense. that still begs the question, what voltage to set on the inuke 6000, peak voltage or RMS voltage since NotNYT mentioned setting it at 84 volts for 1000 watts, while RMS is at 59.16 volts
It's a voltage limiter, not a wattage limiter. It limits by peak voltage. Using known parameters, you can calculate the max wattage. I did the math for you before. The DSP interface will list wattage based on the specified load and voltage. This is just for display to give you an idea of the power levels. The entered load values are irrelevant as is the displayed wattage. It's just an aid, and is not factored into the limiting. It only cares about peak voltage.

#14 ·
Very interesting. I have the 3kdsp and it is driving 2 ht18d4's at a 2ohm load per channel. I understand how to set it ( mine is set at -2.5dbfs 63.7vp 1015w ).

derrick said this: Limiter settings are based on RMS wattage. There is a complex way to do described by Bossobass with a volt meter. The easier way using the I Nukes is setting the RMS wattage at a give ohm level. The attack and release should also be set for the limiters to work correctly.

I use 5 and 20 ms for attack and release on my amps.

Can you explain the attack and release method to clarify for me please?

#35 · (Edited)
Very interesting. I have the 3kdsp and it is driving 2 ht18d4's at a 2ohm load per channel. I understand how to set it ( mine is set at -2.5dbfs 63.7vp 1015w ).

derrick said this: Limiter settings are based on RMS wattage. There is a complex way to do described by Bossobass with a volt meter. The easier way using the I Nukes is setting the RMS wattage at a give ohm level. The attack and release should also be set for the limiters to work correctly.

I use 5 and 20 ms for attack and release on my amps.

Can you explain the attack and release method to clarify for me please?
attack is the time it takes to react to the signal crossing the threshold, hold is how long it will keep the signal limited, and release is how long it takes to restore the signal to full.

#16 ·
There's no such thing as RMS watts and peak watts for an AC signal. You have to use the RMS voltage of an AC signal to calculate power. Don't confuse RMS voltage and peak voltage with marketing "peak wattage" specs. They have nothing to do with each other.

Remember that the signal is alternating current. Sometimes that wave is at a high voltage level, sometimes it drops down to 0 volts. DC current has constant voltage all the time. So with DC voltage, power in watts is just volts times amps, because voltage is constant. But with AC, voltage is not constant, so you need to know what the average voltage is. So RMS is the mean (average) voltage of the AC wave. So power for an AC signal is RMS volts times watts.

1000 watts into 3.5 ohms requires 59.16 volts rms, which is 83.65 volts peak
So using that example, the AC wave varies from 0 volts up to 83.65 volts. The average voltage is 59.16 volts, which is the number you use for calculating power in watts. Thus 59.16 volts into 3.5 ohms is 16.9 amps, and 16.9 amps * 59.16 volts is 1000 watts.

Alternate reading on the matter:
http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/practical-physics/explaining-rms-voltage-and-current

#17 ·
There's no such thing as RMS watts and peak watts for an AC signal. You have to use the RMS voltage of an AC signal to calculate power. Don't confuse RMS voltage and peak voltage with marketing "peak wattage" specs. They have nothing to do with each other.

Remember that the signal is alternating current. Sometimes that wave is at a high voltage level, sometimes it drops down to 0 volts. DC current has constant voltage all the time. So with DC voltage, power in watts is just volts times amps, because voltage is constant. But with AC, voltage is not constant, so you need to know what the average voltage is. So RMS is the mean (average) voltage of the AC wave. So power for an AC signal is RMS volts times watts.

So using that example, the AC wave varies from 0 volts up to 83.65 volts. The average voltage is 59.16 volts, which is the number you use for calculating power in watts. Thus 59.16 volts into 3.5 ohms is 16.9 amps, and 16.9 amps * 59.16 volts is 1000 watts.

Alternate reading on the matter:
http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/practical-physics/explaining-rms-voltage-and-current
thanks for the explanation. that makes more sense. that still begs the question, what voltage to set on the inuke 6000, peak voltage or RMS voltage since NotNYT mentioned setting it at 84 volts for 1000 watts, while RMS is at 59.16 volts

#19 ·
Will the INuke 6000 'fully' power 2 UXLs, meaning, if turned all the way up - is that as much power as the UXLs are recommended to take? FYI.. I am planning two, large ported/ full size marty enclosures, tuned to ~16hz (and I'll figure out the limiter work around that is posted in various places).

I am in on the 1st round of UXL group buys, and want to decide on an Amp soon.

If the iNuke 6000 can't push these two the limit, then I might go for a Clone FP14000... a bit more expensive, but don't want to let the UXLs rest at all ;-)

Kevin

#21 ·
the Berry puts out about 1800 watts per channel both channels driven and that's probably around the limit that most people feel comfortable with pushing the UXL's too. 2000 ish watts and most people don't go over. a clone will give you more overhead wattage, but won't push them any harder unless you want to FRY a driver

#42 ·
My 6000 tends to light up one channel more as well, and I have mine in stereo mode so I can set the delays separately

#47 ·
Just finished my 4ft^3 sealed SI HT18d2, running it in four ohms off one channel of an inuke6000dsp. So far, I don't have a limiter setup. I'm running the sub 6 dB hot and normally watch movies -15 to -10, music up to -5 to zero for very brief demos. Any risk on blowing up the driver without the limiter set at these levels? I feel like the driver will be fine at these volumes even without a limiter set, but I know it would be safer to set it just in case. Like on the opening scene of EoT.

From the previous discussions(thanks very much to those who provided the info), it sounds like setting the Inuke to about 84volts will limit power to 1k watts, and I assume this would be a safe level for this driver.

Is there a consensus on what to set the attack and release to? I see where Derrick has his set to 5 and 20.

#50 · (Edited)
Bear, I have used the 5/20 hold/release on my amps for several years without blowing an amp or driver, lol. I never found a source for the hold/release times. I talked to Behhinger several times and they were no help. Let's see if anyone else list their setting. At times I have ran the subs without limiter and have played with all the amp settings.

None of the subs are nearfield and I have ran all the heavy hitter at reference. I almost never run the subs hot. The only thing I knew on the hold and release is a 1 to 4 ratio and to keep them short as possible. The question is what is short or to long for these particular amps and DSP.

#53 ·
According to notnyt all it means you have hit the limiter. Having said that if you do something like I did, I had the lfe level at reference instead of -4db the vol. up and the red light does not flicker but glows red the amp will shut down. Then you have to turn it off wait a few minutes then turn it back on.

#62 ·
I just up the limiters to give 2000 watts per driver on the dual driver Ultimax and single vented Ultimax. Three drivers on a 15 amp circuit. I put the plane crash scene of OHF and the knobs on the 6000 and 3000 I Nukes went read and then darkness. I tripped the breaker and no use of space heater or anything else that would draw a lot of power.:eek:

I know I did not reach max excrsion, lol. I have two dedicated 15 amp circuits, each with a dual cab and vented sub on them. The rest of the gear is split between the two circuits. I think I am power limited, lol. I also upped the Hold and Release to 50/200 after all the discussion on this topic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.