PVC ceiling speaker installation - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-25-2015, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
PVC ceiling speaker installation

Hey guys, I am new to this forum and have a quick question. I am about to install a few in-ceiling speakers outside in the pool area, but the ceiling in the back porch is PVC panels. I was wondering how you guys would go about installing speakers in this situation, before anyone goes and says in-wall speakers is better or just mounting speaker boxes to the ceiling is better, I know this but it isn't an option. What do you guys think about this? The picture is sort of what the ceiling is like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pvc-ceiling-panel.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	685537  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2015, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked: 1559
are you sure that is what you want to do?

i'd probably look for something along this idea.

Listen. It's All Good.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yeah I wanted a sealed box setup but due to aesthetic issues I can't, since a certain someone won't allow it LOL. i was looking into different options.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Many are weather resistant.
The only waterproof ones will be sealed.
If no direct water contact, then weather resistant can work. There are many blind mount to choose from.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkstatic View Post
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and have a quick question. I am about to install a few in-ceiling speakers outside in the pool area, but the ceiling in the back porch is PVC panels. I was wondering how you guys would go about installing speakers in this situation, before anyone goes and says in-wall speakers is better or just mounting speaker boxes to the ceiling is better, I know this but it isn't an option. What do you guys think about this? The picture is sort of what the ceiling is like.
I would install them like I would in dry wall, except use a jig saw with a fine toothed short blade rather than dry wall cutting tools. Running the speaker wire may be a problem if you can't get to the end of the panels.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well; you can cut holes for marine speakers and mount them in a recessed fashion using the material you attached in the OP -- maybe even use some sealed insulation in place of polyfill on the inside to tune the space? If you can avoid the sealed insulation and use legit polyfill up inside there; that may sound better -- the sealed insulation may make undesirable noise. I think the marine speakers properly mounted (sealed, they usually have gaskets) should keep things dry enough for Polyfill.

There are many different sizes of marine speakers for boats that should hold up fine there. They even have marine subs you might be able to integrate -- depends how far you wish to go with it.

I figure if wake-surfing boats can swing decent audio in their high-noise conditions, you should be ok with a little work hiding things up in that ceiling....

If you seal them in properly; they should treat you right. You tune the spaces well; they should treat you very well indeed. With a little work; you can reliant the speaker grills and make the whole deal appear as though it was meant to be there!

Good luck!

Cheers,

atti

Tags
diy , in-ceiling speakers