AVS Forum banner

A Speaker Conundrum, What to Do?

301 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Funkeye 
#1 ·
Revamping my HT after 12 years, and ended up settling on BG Radia speakers for the mains and center channel. Little did I know when I bought them (and got a ridiculous deal) that the company was defunct... Dissolved completely by Christie Digital in a takeover of some sort. They're not offering any support whatsoever for BG products. Can't find anyone even selling remaining stock of BG speakers @ reasonable price.

Anyway, I am stuck with the in-wall BG LCR's. I can't change speakers. I just have to hope they last a few years before something goes wrong.

That being said, I currently have. 5.1 setup, but I'm noticing the dialogue from the center channel is too easily localized. The speaker is under my projection screen and can not be moved. My Onkyo receiver has a dialogue adjustment feature which uses the front height speakers to center the dialogue in the middle of the screen. Exactly what I need.

But, I asssume since the LCR speakers are all supposed to match tone-wise, that any height speakers I get should also match (particularly since I am using them primarily to fix the dialogue issue)

And, therein lies the problem: I can't get BG Radia speakers anymore.

I was able to get two Neo3PDR tweeters at a decent price. But would I be able to mate these to a suitable woofer and Xover to make my own height speakers? Or would using a different woofer be too noticeable sound-wise?

See less See more
#3 ·
Bummer dude... if you are OK with processing you could see if you AVR has a surround wide setting. My pioneer VSX-31 does and it certainly widens the front sound stage. Or, you could get a new LCR set and move the BG'S to the surround/rear speakers. They won't be timbre matched but I don't think it's as critical as the front stage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.