AVS Forum banner

CD replacement diaphrams.....

474 views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  Mfusick 
#1 ·
I would like to put together a JBL2226H/DenovoDNA360/SEOS12, and was wondering if the 360's are on par together with the 2226's. I've seen and heard of replacements...any thoughts on this.

I really like the WolfhornSDX, i want four. Should be a good sensitivity match. The 2226's will easily handle the 60 hz lowpass when the response gets rough on the SDX. Does a pair of 10's equal a 12 or a 15 ?

All pending house purchase and funds remaining.....

#2 ·
I'm confused the exact question ?

Couple thoughts on what you say and want:

First the JBL2226 can handle a 60hz cross to horns if your port it. Porting it should get you there nicely. Sealed would roll off a little.

Second, I wouldn't use the seos 12". Use the seos 15". It will hold pattern lower and is a better match to cross to the 15" JBL.

The DNA 360 could get to about where you'd need; but I think there is better options if your budget allows it. I'm not all that impressed with mine. It's good if all you can spend is $80. But if you can spend a couple more bucks I think you might find you like some other options better.

Also- Erich doesn't like selling CD, you might have a hard time getting the DNA360.

#3 ·
On par?
I can tell you I use the upgraded 4 pi's swapped with a D360's (cheaper then de-250's) and it sounds awesome. It's a close as you can get to the same design.... though I guess the CD would still be the "weak" link if you compare the woofer vs CD cost.

Two 10's beats a 12 for displacement, but when you start talking about driver size in a horn, I don't think you can compare them the same way.
I've followed the wolfhorn thread for a while and he really didnt his homework with the design , I doubt you would be dissapointed.

#5 ·
The 360 is very similar to the B&C DE250, which is a fantastic driver used by Earl Geddes and many others. Many DIY'ers with reputable backgrounds have made comparisons and found it to be top rank. No reason to upgrade really, except maybe to one that gets lower IF that's something you wanted. Something like the BA750 maybe. but just cause it's $80 doesn't mean it's comparable to other $80 tweeters. It's basically priced wholesale.

2x10" drivers is somewhere between a 12 and 15. but as mentioned, there's more to it with horns. It's not the same Vd/$ formula as sealed subwoofers are.

#8 ·
The UXL works in the Ghorn, fyi. But I wouldn't discount the wolfhorn, it's a beast.
Also if you want it ported and with 2226's, why not just go with the 4Pi's ?

You can buy the CD's from Erich, buy the 2226's from Ebay, and the crossovers / horns from Wayne.
Then just build the cabs.
Either way they will be more similar then not..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.