Help with TubaHT and NU1000DSP - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By acex008

post #1 of 26 Old 05-06-2015, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Help with TubaHT and NU1000DSP

Okay guys. I need some help from my fellow DIYers. I built a Bill Fitz-Maurice TubaHT subwoofer using the Dayton DVC385-88 driver. I'm powering it with a Behringer NU1000DSP which is connected to my Denon AVR-X1100W's sub pre-out using a coax to 1/4" phono cable into channel A of the amp. I've got the sub wired in parallel so that the amp see's a 4ohm load which is connected using a Speakon connector. It seems that I have to crank the level knob on the amp to get any noticeable sound output from the sub. I've got all the speakers set to Large with an 80Hz XO setting. I've turned off all of the XO and DSP settings on the sub amp until I can figure this out. When I crank the level knob on the amp and turn the sub level up to +12dB on the AVR there's noticeable distortion (which makes sense) but it still isn't loud. I'm wondering if I didn't break in the sub enough and I blew a VC during my initial connection. It just sounds like a bad VC to me but I've never heard a horn loaded sub so I'm not sure if that's what I'm experiencing. Why does it not get loud and sound like turd? I'm wondering if I wired the Speakon connector wrong, or the wiring at the driver... Or maybe I've got some setting on that's limiting the power output. HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 05-06-2015, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked: 1517
are you getting the output lights on the inuke to light up, just the input lights, neither, or both?

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 26 Old 05-06-2015, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 146
With your speakers set to large are you using the LFE+main setting? Normally you would want the mains set to small so bass is redirected to the sub.
post #4 of 26 Old 05-06-2015, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by acex008 View Post
It seems that I have to crank the level knob on the amp to get any noticeable sound output from the sub...I've got all the speakers set to Large with an 80Hz XO setting. HELP!
Based on my X2000, I would guess that you need to turn the front panel input sensitivity knob all the way to max with the AVR sub trim set at 0. With the AVR sub trim maxed out at 12, you might be heavily clipping the input. Also, try setting all speakers to SMALL.

TV 2013 Samsung 75" UN75F6300
AVR 2013 Denon X2000 w/ Audyssey XT
7.2 3 DIY 1099s (LCR), 4 Yamaha NS-IC600WH + 4 Dayton ME820C (SL, SR), 2 DIY OS-MTM (BL, BR)
Subs Two 19Hz DIY Ported UXL-18s + FP14k + MiniDSP 2x4
Calibration CALMAN5, REW, UMIK-1
post #5 of 26 Old 05-07-2015, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

The signal lights next to the level knobs have blinked a few times.

For whatever reason when I change the amp from stereo to bridged the sub seems to get half the power. I'm wondering if my connections are somehow not right for my setup. More on that later in the post. I've decided not to bridge the amp anyhow. The Tuba HT doesn't require all that much power and hopefully I'll be building another one within the next year.

I did have my speakers set to large with the "Bass" setting in the AVR to LFE+Mains. I'm going to set the speakers to small.

Also, I think my low level signal chain is too long through the RG6 coax cable. Since the NU1000DSP is pro gear the Home AVR's sub preout is weak; the long low level cable run reduces an already weak signal... So! My plan is to put the amp in the AV closet near the AVR for a short RG6 run. Then pull 12ga. speaker cable from the amp to the sub in the room. Then, I'll set the speakers to small and bring the AVR sub level back to 0. Then, I'll run some sub test tones to see how it performs. Then run Audyssey, then go through the sub amps DSP and XO settings. I'm also going to triple check my wiring and connections. I'm doing a lot of "adapting" with this set up meaning that I'm going from a sub pre-out on the AVR which is an RCA connection to a coax RG6 cable, then a RCA to 1/4" TRS plug into the sub amp. Then, I'm going from a Speakon connection on the output of the amp to banana plugs on the sub enclosure and then inside I've got the sub wired in parallel so that the amp see's a nominal 4 ohms. Since there are a lot of possibilities for crossing wires or having the wrong adapters in place I've got to work through them to make sure they're all good.
post #6 of 26 Old 05-07-2015, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

You can't just switch back and forth between stereo and bridged on the inuke. The wiring inside the speakon is different for each. For bridged it is +1 & +2, stereo is +1 & -1. Are you using the dsp software on your computer? If so, screenshots of each tab could help.
post #7 of 26 Old 05-07-2015, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2083
Quote:
I've got all the speakers set to Large with an 80Hz XO setting.
That's probably most of the problem.
Quote:
For whatever reason when I change the amp from stereo to bridged the sub seems to get half the power. I'm wondering if my connections are somehow not right for my setup.
Did you read the FAQ about bridging on my forum?
Quote:
I'm wondering if I didn't break in the sub enough and I blew a VC during my initial connection.
That would not occur. Break in only serves to loosen the suspension so that you get 100% performance right off the bat. OTOH wiring the coils out of polarity would result in getting almost no output.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #8 of 26 Old 05-07-2015, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Bill, thanks for chiming in. I did read your thread about bridging last night which is the other reason I'm not going to bridge the amp. I'm wondering if I've got the VC's polarity wrong and they're internally battling themselves.

Last edited by acex008; 05-07-2015 at 07:45 AM.
post #9 of 26 Old 05-07-2015, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked: 1517
sounds like the speakon wiring is at least one of the issues. when switching from stereo to bridge (unless rewing the speakon), one of them should produce no sound at all. at the speakon, positive from the sub (red) to 1+ and negative from the sub (black) to the 1- is the way to go.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #10 of 26 Old 05-07-2015, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
one of them should produce no sound at all.
This is something that has puzzled me since I hooked up my 3000dsp. I have mine wired for bridged. But if I switch the setting to stereo the sub still works but the output is clearly lowered. I’m not sure how this happens but does. ??????
post #11 of 26 Old 05-07-2015, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

My Speakon connector only has the hardware inside (the crimp terminals) in pins +1 and -1. It does not have the hardware for pins +2 and -2, yes the holes are there but not the actual screw terminals. I wired the Red to +1 and Black to -1...I'm going to recheck the wiring tonight and post pictures to get feedback to be sure I've got it wired correctly. This hobby certainly isn't new to me, but for whatever reason I'm having issues this time around. Probably the pain meds I'm on from having my wisdom tooth pulled!
post #12 of 26 Old 05-07-2015, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

You would need a 4-pole speakon to use the bridged mode. I don't understand why they even make the 2-pole speakons. I guess to save 2 pennies. But since you only have the 2-pole that is unlikely the problem. The sub being mis-wired is possible, but my guess is some setting in the AVR or the DSP. The digital settings are more often wrong than the actual hardware/wiring.
post #13 of 26 Old 05-07-2015, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
I'm wondering if I've got the VC's polarity wrong and they're internally battling themselves.
That would be my guess.
post #14 of 26 Old 05-07-2015, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 148
If you set your speakers to large, the speakers don't use the subwoofer and don't send any signal to the sub. Thus with typical stereo music or TV, you get absolutely nothing from the sub.
post #15 of 26 Old 05-07-2015, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Do you have inputs plugged in to both channels on your amp or just channel A?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part!"

My Audio Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/triticumaudio
Instagram: http://instagram.com/triticumaudio
post #16 of 26 Old 05-08-2015, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 86
shouldn't he be using a 1/4 TS into the inuke, not the TRS. I had a similar issue using a TRS, and went to an RCA -> xlr adapter and problem solved.

We never grow until we're pushed outside the boundaries we are comfortable within...
post #17 of 26 Old 05-08-2015, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Sub was wired correctly (parallel) within the cabinet. The Speakon connector was wired correctly with the red going to +1 and the black going to -1. I've got the Speakon connected to output A. I've got the 1/4" plug connected to input A. I've the amp to Stereo which seems to produce more power to the sub for some reason.... When I select Dual or Bridged it seems to half the power output....

I connected it with a shorter low level cable run (12") and the blinking lights jumped up to the third light (out of 4) which indicates it was receiving a stronger signal from the AVR output. When I connect it with the long 20' cable, it only blinks with one light for the same test tone/volume level.

Changing the output to LFE only and not LFE+Mains doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Of course I've only been messing around with this setup for an hour or so. I changed my speaker setting to Small and all speakers to 80Hz HP filters. I haven't touched the DSP settings on the sub amp yet but I imagine that will help give it more punch and tactal feel. Right now it seems a bit weak. Maybe I'm just going to have to break down and buy an SVS PB-13 Ultra!

Last edited by acex008; 05-08-2015 at 08:45 PM.
post #18 of 26 Old 05-09-2015, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
This sounds exactly like my issue several years ago with my previous Denon AVR. The signal strength coming from the receiver for the subwoofer was too low. I borrowed my fathers AVR, different manufacturer, and my subwoofer came alive. I would try another AVR to see if there is a difference. FYI: the current Denon AVR I am using now works great it was just the model I had at the time.

Good Luck!
post #19 of 26 Old 05-09-2015, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Try Biamp1?
As requested, a picture of your input meters and output meters would be helpful.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
post #20 of 26 Old 05-09-2015, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 109
post #21 of 26 Old 05-09-2015, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

I have a multimeter and would like to test my AVRs sub preout for clipping. What's the best (accurate) way to do so? Test tone? Do I absolutely need an electronic scope to check for it?
post #22 of 26 Old 05-09-2015, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 25
To adjust the input sensitivity on the amp and check the signal level from your AVR without a meter, you can disconnect the sub wires and use REW to generate a -3dBfs sine wave. Then turn up the AVR to max volume and use the iNuke application to check the input and output signal levels, and adjust the front panel knob to get the signal adjusted so that it doesn't clip. If it is significantly lower with the front panel knob turned all the way up, record the input level from the test and report back. Also while you are in the app, confirm that all software gains are set to 0.

TV 2013 Samsung 75" UN75F6300
AVR 2013 Denon X2000 w/ Audyssey XT
7.2 3 DIY 1099s (LCR), 4 Yamaha NS-IC600WH + 4 Dayton ME820C (SL, SR), 2 DIY OS-MTM (BL, BR)
Subs Two 19Hz DIY Ported UXL-18s + FP14k + MiniDSP 2x4
Calibration CALMAN5, REW, UMIK-1
post #23 of 26 Old 05-10-2015, 04:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude View Post
shouldn't he be using a 1/4 TS into the inuke, not the TRS. I had a similar issue using a TRS, and went to an RCA -> xlr adapter and problem solved.
This seemed to fix the issues that I was having with my initial setup using a plain jane iNuke3000.
post #24 of 26 Old 05-12-2015, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

I'll pick up an XLR to RCA adapter and see if that changes anything. According to the description found on Parts Express it says 1/4" TRS Input.......
post #25 of 26 Old 05-13-2015, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Found a used Cleanbox Pro for $40 shipped. Once my AVR is back from the repair shop and the line converter arrives I'll be able to see the difference it makes. Most likely next week. Thanks for the help guys!
corradizo likes this.
post #26 of 26 Old Today, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 86
any update ?

We never grow until we're pushed outside the boundaries we are comfortable within...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page