AVS Forum banner

Sixteen HST-18's Build

46K views 608 replies 82 participants last post by  bear123 
#1 · (Edited)
I am going to get started on the boxes this weekend. The subs have been ordered and should be here in about 2 weeks. They will be powered with 4 Crest Pro Lite 7.5 DSP's. They will be sealed with each sub getting 4.5 cubic feet.

The theater is on the main level of the house so weight is an issue. I have the engineer that spec'ed the floor system coming tomorrow to look at things and hopefully ease my mind about the weight. I figure each sub is going to be roughly 150 pounds so we are talking about 2400 pounds plus the mains.

Here are a couple of pictures of the room.

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
I could easily do 6 in the back and 6 in the front. Let's call that option E. Anyone think that would be better than 8 in the front / 4 in the back? Sure would ease my mind about weight distribution too.

edit: scratch that. I forgot about the bass trap vents cut into the riser on the back. I really only have about 100" to work with behind the seats on the back row. Looks like 8 in the front and 4 in the back are the best option?

#8 ·
Thats a tough one as I like an even spread across the back for tactile. You could stagger the rear array equidistant. I'd go eight fronts and four rears. Four stacked in front corners would give max gain plus smooth and consistent across the seating. That rooms a Beaut. Should be a ULF and ULFTR Phenom.

#13 ·
I am not going to have space behind the front row. There will be plenty of space behind the second row though. I am using 4 Crowson's in the front 3 chairs and 4 Crowson's in the back 4 chairs. That coupled with the 12 HST's should address the tactical aspect. Plus the room is on the second floor so that should amplify it.

#14 ·
1/2 the nearfield are far more important than double the farfield.

I'd take my rear three sealed 18" over my front five sealed 18"

I might even take one nearfield sealed 18" firing directly into the back of my chair over the other 7 up front.

It's that good.

So, in case I wasn't clear --- put some of those nearfield firing into your chair back - as close as possible.

#18 ·
How about one under each seat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
What about making 6 seats of 18inch subwoofer-headphones dropped down from ceiling columns?

0.12.0 Beat that Atmos!

Attachments

#27 ·
Option M: full Marty HST's.

Yep.

No I'd go with option C, erm, ahem, I mean options F and/or G which is where you should have started. I can't believe you'd bother showing up around here with any of the other non-F and G options. For shame.

Option H would be sixteen up front, sixteen in the rear and another eight per side on the side wall flanking the first row. Yeah.

#33 ·
Actually 4 corners will give you most output. Not best response.

You could place the subs on half way points or in nulls to get the best response, but lose a little output.

Theoretically if you did corners, you'd want to put up or two up near the ceiling too. Not all 4 on the floor.

#36 ·
Speaking from experience, take into consideration just how much the boxes will weight and if you actually have enough helpers to pick something that heavy up past however many (35-40") high to stack them. Took me several months after I built my twin ported 18" boxes before I got enough people over to pick them up. Took four dudes and my boxes will be about 100lb less than your double boxes.

That said, I like your idea. Cant wait to see how they look when finished.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.