Still trying to decide which speaker - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 9 Unread Yesterday, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Still trying to decide which speaker

So I've got it narrowed down to either the Fusion 12, Fusion 15, or 1099. These will be L/R only, with phantom center.

I'll be powering these with my Yamaha RX-A700 receiver. I also have a Stonehenge sub with Stereo Integrity HT18 driven by a Carver M1.5t amp.

The majority of my listening is music, and I like it loud. I also watch a fair bit of movies, but usually not quite as loud. I have some fairly cheap in-ceiling surrounds.

I currently have a pair of MartinLogan Motion 12s which I will be selling to help finance this. I ordered a pair of Fusion 6s to hold me over until I decide which way I want to go.

I guess I'm just wondering if the extra cost of the Fusion 15 or 1099 is worth it over the Fusion 12. And if so, whether the 1099 or Fusion 15 would be better for me.

Anyone heard all three(or any two) that can weigh in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Unread Yesterday, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 104
some specifics will help . . .
what is the listening distance
how wide for the front sound stage
room size, any treatments, carpets, etc.?
my 2 Fusion 15 replaced my klipsch F-3 towers, the horns are lower wrt me at the mlp, aboput 26-27 " off the floor, slight tilt, I sit about 10-11' away
the centers of the horns are about 60" spread
testing Stereo only ,they are
FANTASTIC
I wanted everything LCR to fit under the TV on the wall, so if i experiment later i can get about an 80" spread.

in stereo the denon doesn't do subs , so resetting the 15's to "large"
all good
if its not too much of a budget stretch, go big
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LCRF0804.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	479.5 KB
ID:	731202  

DIY FAN Denon X5200 , Emotiva UPA7, for 7.3.4 ATMOS/DSU SHARP 80" LED/LCD
FL/FR: DIYSG Fusion 15's , Center: DIYSG 88 Special , SL/SR: RC3II , SRL/SRR: F-3Towers, TF & TR: SLX
2 30" BF THTLP'S , SUBMAXIMUS, 2 x Inuke6000DSP & 2 driverless LHORN cabs
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/401-di...rs-subwoofers/
www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1485120-submaximus-large-front-loaded-horn
post #3 of 9 Unread Yesterday, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Fusion 15 V2 non-flatpack, warts and all

FL/FR: DIYSG Fusion 15's , Center: DIYSG 88 Special , SL/SR: RC3II , SRL/SRR: F-3Towers, TF & TR: SLX
www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1485120-submaximus-large-front-loaded-horn
post #4 of 9 Unread Yesterday, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
some specifics will help . . .
what is the listening distance
how wide for the front sound stage
room size, any treatments, carpets, etc.?
The room is about 19' by 11', with the speakers/tv on the short wall about 8' apart. The sofa is about 13' from the front wall.

The floor is hardwood with a rug in the center, there are no treatments on the walls or ceiling (a few pictures, a bookshelf, and a large window with blinds).

Thanks for your help.
post #5 of 9 Unread Yesterday, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 826
If you're running a sub, the fusion 15 will likely be a better match. The fusion 12 digs lower.
post #6 of 9 Unread Yesterday, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 1515
if you have the space, you may want to look into building some custom cabs (5 c.f. tuned to 40hz) for the fusion 15 kit. that would allow a ~60hz crossover point, which may give the best overall sound. not sure how the 1099 would compare.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #7 of 9 Unread Yesterday, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post
if you have the space, you may want to look into building some custom cabs (5 c.f. tuned to 40hz) for the fusion 15 kit. that would allow a ~60hz crossover point, which may give the best overall sound. not sure how the 1099 would compare.
Thanks for the advice, LTD, but I'd really like to stay with flat packs. My woodworking skills leave something to be desired.
post #8 of 9 Unread Yesterday, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

the flatpacks just plain rock for ease of assembly, you'll be looking at yourself in the mirror, Yeah DUDE! way to go!
the crossovers, as a novice, I ended up having a bit of help from the designer mtg90,
you might be able to talk to someone about pre-assembled if lay out and soldering seems challenging, but it would be worth it (I spent about 4-5 hours on the 2 of them!)
almost like plug and play but way better than windows

To LTD02: is the 5 cu ft design just deeper? do the ports get altered? does the xo get altered? this is assuming one buys the kit but not the flatpack
if you have a link just let me know,
I could see a pair like that up front and the my "new" ones on stands as rear surrounds.

To the OP, dorri732, yeah the Klipsch F-3's were originally only about $1K/pr but the difference in sound wrt Fusion 15's, whole different league

post #9 of 9 Unread Yesterday, 11:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked: 1515
@asarose247
i'm not sure what the port size/lengths are on the kit, so I can't say how they would change when going to a larger cab. the larger cab mostly just provides more sensitivity in the bass. since the sensitivity increase is all the in the bass, nothing about the crossover to the horn would change. if you are interested in something like that just pm me and we can draw something up.

Listen. It's All Good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs