AVS Forum banner

Speaker Time - need help

777 views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  fbov 
#1 · (Edited)
New house. Need help deciding on speakers. I bought a 55inch LED TV and a Pioneer Elite VSX-80 7.2 receiver. So now i need speakers for 5.1 setup. Went to local Magnolia Room and Hi-Fi store to audition speakers. Narrowed to 3 sets; B&W, Definitive Technology and Paradigm.

I chose the winner; Definitive Technology BP-8040ST towers LR, CS-8040 Center, SR-8040 for surround and Prosub 800 for subwoofer. Total cost is $800+$800+$499+$249+$249+$399 = $2994.00. Now i have been researching DIY option that would sound as good or better for same $$ or less $$.

Listening habits:
1. Music - Classic Rock, Acoustic guitar junkie, Jazz, Pop, Rock 50%
2. Normal TV - wife 25%
3. 1080P movies - action 25%

Room:
Open concept living/dining.
Living room is 13.5' wide and 18' long - cabinet is on short wall
Behind the listen is the kitchen; 16' x 23'

Need help:
Can i build high performing speakers (5.1) that sound as good or better than the Def Techs for less money? My budget for home build would be $2000 including sub amp. MUSIC is most important! I've been looking at the Statements, Statement II, ION, Fusion 10, 1099 for LR and various center and surround designs. I need help deciding from all the experts out there!

Room layout:

Living area:

Kitchen/living:

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I have the 88 Specials in a 20 x 30 room. The fusion 8 towers are similar. I am really happy with the 88 specials and they are really efficient, my old receiver has no problem driving them as loud as I need them, which is helpful in such a large room.

For the subwoofer, definitely do DIY, especially since it looks like you have plenty of space. As a comparison the prosub you linked to is 400 bucks for an 8" subwoofer with a passive radiator (the radiator acts just like a port, except it allows a smaller box since you don't have to add the volume of the port to the subwoofer box). The lowest end DIY around here is something like a 12" Infinity 1260 with a plate amplifier for around $250. You could build two of those or one Marty with an inuke for a similar price. I started with the 250 bargain basement because I would have to replace my receiver to get an LFE out. So I chose the plate amp that can take speaker level inputs. If you are starting fresh or already have a good avr, just jump to the Marty or other ported sub design with an external amp. It will save you a ton of money in the long run when you want a second subwoofer!

#6 ·
Yes a SI-18/inuke will sound about 8 times better than anything you can buy in a store from anywhere. For well under $800 it is beating Velodyne DD-18's, B&W ASW's and JL Fathoms which are $5000 subs.

As for speakers I'd go with 1099's or Fusion 15's, their components are much better than the cheaper/smaller versions.

The Fusion 15 is beating my B&W 803's.

#8 ·
Space looks like an issue - how about waiting for the new 899s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Welp i can't stand it, got the bug real bad. So my build is going to start. About to order supplies for a Marty Micro - went with micro due to size constraints in my living room. Going with the Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 Ohm and a Behringer NU3000DSP iNUKE 3000 Watt Power Amplifier with DSP.

Assuming that build turns out ok, next up would be two Volt-6's for surround.

After that, the 89X design should be published and i will build 2-3 of those.

#17 ·
I went with the Fusion 15's V2 and an 88 Special (C) for all having the same 15" horn/CD ,seemed "synergistic"
worth the few extra dollars oh h3ll yes
even legacy stereo music, just the L/R awesome spread, depth, clarity, detail even after 40+ years of listening to the same stuff, really
my room is only about 14' wide, hence Erich recommendation for Volt 6 as surrounds (just not today)

and flatpacks for simplicity

Attachments

#18 ·
If I were you I would return everything that you just bought from Best Buy and go with the following as it will cost you less and perform worlds better than what you just bought.

3x) Fusion 15 (for your Left, Center and Right channels, or you could go with the Fusion 8 Alchemy for the center if you don't have room for a third Fusion 15, or an 88 Special center)

2x) Volt 8's for surrounds

2x) SI 18HT for your subs (build or have someone build some mini Marty's and you would be head and shoulders above that crappy Definitive Tech junk!)

#19 ·
New house. Need help deciding on speakers. ... Now i have been researching DIY option that would sound as good or better for same $$ or less $$.
Get thee to a DIY event!
http://techtalk.parts-express.com/s...015-overview-and-2016-precursory-inquiry-poll
http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?245229-DakotaDIY-2015
http://www.midwestaudiofest.com/

Or at very least, ask this question on other speaker forums to get a broader idea what kind of options you have open to you.
http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forumdisplay.php?2-Tech-Talk-Forum
http://www.htguide.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?6-Mission-Possible-DIY

The great advantage of attending a DIY event is the opportunity to listen to 30-40 different design approaches with other critical listeners, and then discuss what you heard. Some events are scored, others freeform, but all provide that critical opportunity to listen to lots of designs, to get some idea what you like.

You'll find that certain designers have literally made "one of everything" and so can give you a very accurate perspective on the differences. They'll also have a family of designs available for a given driver set, so you can accommodate placement needs (distance to walls matters) as well as size limitations and varying performance requirements (center channel).

Have fun,
Frank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.