REW measurements - should I be happy? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-18-2015, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
REW measurements - should I be happy?

I finally got around to setting up REW with a miniDSP and UMIK. After about 4 hours I've got some measurements... should I be happy with these? This is only with my current little 10" sub until I get the boxes built for the UM18s in a few weeks.

I attached two files, one with 1/24 smoothing and one with 1/6 smoothing. Should I be aiming for a smoother graph? I have a big boosted section from like 30-50 hz I was trying to bring down inline with the rest and a nasty dip at 84 hz that I worked out the best I could.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.24 smoothing.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	784034   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.6 smoothing.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	784042  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2015, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked: 750
That's pretty good for a 10.
The 18's will murder it.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 139
For a single 10, I'm impressed. I'm guessing you are in a fairly small room?

I've got MartySub and Custom subwoofer flatpacks for Sale. Check the link out for MartySub info, PM me with questions about custom designed flatpacks. MartySub Flatpacks are back

Also, Check out my End-Table Marty Build
Old 06-19-2015, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
That's pretty good for a 10.
The 18's will murder it.
That's what I'm hoping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiers007 View Post
For a single 10, I'm impressed. I'm guessing you are in a fairly small room?
Yeah, it is a smaller living room. I measured it 6 months ago or more, I can't remember the exact dimensions. It's somewhere around 20x16 with 8 or 9 foot ceilings on a suspended wood floor. Opens to a hallway on one side, dining room and kitchen on the other side.

When adjusting the EQ should I be aiming for a flatter line? With this setup I kinda gave up on anything below 20 hz. I didn't know if the sub could handle it (definitely can't play it with authority) and I have a Crown XLS 1500 that everyone says rolls off after 20 hz anyway.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 166
How far away was the mic from the sub?
Old 06-19-2015, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

On the couch about 15 feet away. I tried to set it up like the REW guide suggested, using the mic stand and putting it ear level at the MLP. I'm not sure if there is a better method, just did what I read.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2227
Your chart looks fine, and 1/6 octave smoothing is what you should be using, as that's about the highest resolution that you can hear and that you can correct.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95bat View Post
That's what I'm hoping!

Yeah, it is a smaller living room. I measured it 6 months ago or more, I can't remember the exact dimensions. It's somewhere around 20x16 with 8 or 9 foot ceilings on a suspended wood floor. Opens to a hallway on one side, dining room and kitchen on the other side.

When adjusting the EQ should I be aiming for a flatter line? With this setup I kinda gave up on anything below 20 hz. I didn't know if the sub could handle it (definitely can't play it with authority) and I have a Crown XLS 1500 that everyone says rolls off after 20 hz anyway.
I think it looks just fine. What you should also be shooting for, if you cross mains to the sub, is integrating the sub properly with the other speakers. > Sweeps with L, C and R should be smooth in the cross over region and beyond.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
Your chart looks fine, and 1/6 octave smoothing is what you should be using, as that's about the highest resolution that you can hear and that you can correct.
Awesome, I was wondering what I should be aiming for when it comes to EQ. With two 18s I should be able to get it a lot smoother after learning how to EQ and having multiple subs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splotten View Post
I think it looks just fine. What you should also be shooting for, if you cross mains to the sub, is integrating the sub properly with the other speakers. > Sweeps with L, C and R should be smooth in the cross over region and beyond.
Thank you for the tip, I will give that a try next. My miniDSP is just hooked up to the bass amp right now, my mains are powered from my Denon X4000 and I let Audyssey take care of the EQ on those for now. I thought my huge dip at 84 hz was because of the crossover point (mains and sub are set at 80 hz), but I changed the sub to run up to 100 hz and I still had a huge dip Probably just the room playing with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement