AVS Forum banner

Ugh... sub popping issue (when inuke is turned on and off)

7K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Jk7.2 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

So I have two inukes - a 3000dsp and a 6000dsp. The 3000dsp is working flawlessly. The 6000dsp, however, is having issues. When I turn my receiver on, the connected subs make a small pop. When I turn off, there is a very loud pop noise. I have the amps hooked up to a monster surge protector with green power. So, when I turn my receiver on or off, my amps do the same. Again, no issue with the 3000, just the 6000.

I've tried unplugging everything except the receiver and 6000, still have the issue. I tried plugging the monster surge into another outlet. Tried different plugs on the monster. Disconnected input and tried a different output to amp, new power cable. Still problems. What am I missing? What needs to be done to fix?

Thanks for your help!

#3 ·
Yes, amps buttons are in the on position when the receiver power cycles. The monster surge protector actually turns the amps on once it detects power coming from the receiver.

On another note, I just had the 6000 reset on me while watching tv, which caused a large pop as well. Not sure if it is related or not.

#5 ·
This is a well documented/known issue on the iNuke DSP 6000. It happens to everyone who uses and auto power off connection on the iNuke DSP 6000.

You can work around it pretty well by simply muting the sound a couple moments before you power down.

My 3 iNuke DSP 3000's I've owned have never popped
My 2 iNuke DSP 6000's I've owned all pop

It's a difference in the way they are wired. Try muting your AVR about 5 seconds before you power off. The pop should be MUCH quieter - This tested and working on three different AVRs in my house. The Onkyo 5508, the Denon 4520ci, and the Denon x7200wa. A loud pop occurs on the subs if I just push the AVR power down and my monster power switch turns it off immediately, and a very soft, non issue pop occurs if I mute the AVR a few seconds before I push power.

Easy work around.

#6 ·
OK good enough. Thank you for your help. Now onto my other issue at hand.

#7 ·
I use a 50amp solid-state relay from Omega, love it. It has a 0-Xing feature so it "shouldn't" create any pops...
SSRL240DC50

You probably could get away with only a 25amp version: SSRL240DC25
http://www.omega.com/pptst/SSRL240_660.html

#9 · (Edited)
Yes, I have a harmony remote. Do you remember how you were able to incorporate the amps into the equation? I have the monster protector to turn off my devices when it detects my receiver turned off. Not sure what other device I could use to shut everything off with? TV perhaps?

(BTW, not going to be able to test or try anything until I get my current amp situation fixed, as explained in the MartySub thread. I may make a new thread about it once I get a multimeter this evening).

#12 ·
I did this around two years ago. A customer service rep helped me set up thing to sequence what cam on in what order and truned off. I no longer use things the same way since I have more subs hooked up to the system. Most of the time I only use two subs for music and TV.

With the subs hooked up to the power condition/surge protector, I manually turn on the two front or two rear subs for music or TV. The subs don't pop no matter when I turn them on or off. It must have something to do with the two Rocketfish power/surge conditioners. Some people don't like running their subs off a conditioner/surge. I have always done things this way.

#13 ·
I manually turn on the two front or two rear subs for music or TV. The subs don't pop no matter when I turn them on or off.
The popping issue occurs when people leave the amp on with the power switch at all times, and power the amp on and off by having it plugged into a smart power strip or via a 12 switched relay. The amps never pop when turning them off via the power button. This is why people came up with a way to wire the trigger/relay into the wiring of the power switch itself. Allows auto on/off without any pop.

#14 ·
Just to verify - the thump isn't harming anything, just an annoyance, correct?

#21 ·
This reason, the poping, is why I have five 3000dsp's and no 6000's. My amps are not in a convenient location to turn off and on, so I let the smart strip do it. Maybe I'm not getting all the juice possible from this wiring to the amps, but it has worked and is pleanty loud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.